“Ant ridden room. Bathroom was vile. Location amazing though as directly on beach!”
Review of Silver Sands Beach

Silver Sands Beach
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

Cheap bungalows. Horrible bathrooms - not sure if they are ever cleaned. Lady on reception very rude.

Air con good. Location is gorgeous with beach a few steps away - literally!

• Stayed: June 2012

Reviewed 15 July 2012

First, making the reservations was very easy and they didn't require a deposit. I did arrange to have transfer from the pier, but nobody was there when I arrived. After taking a taxi over, arrived and seemed like I was bothering the lady when I checked in. They do have the kind of troubling policy of taking and keeping your passport, something I haven't experienced anywhere else in Asia.

I stayed in an A/C Bungalow, and it kind of grew on me over the week I stayed there. It is very basic...two beds (actually kind of comfortable), a refrigerator, a TV that didn't show anything, and an all-in-one bathroom that smelled pretty bad and leaked from every line. The front porch is pretty nice to sit on and relax, but I wouldn't recommend the hammocks as I saw a gentleman across the way take a pretty good fall when his broke. Take serious note of the other posts about the noise...it is very loud at night and goes on until 2 a.m. The entire bungalow vibrates with the bass.

I wouldn't bother with the pool as it's usually full of folks taking diving instruction, and doesn't have any chairs anyway.

The cleaning girls are a hoot, as they certainly take their time. Once they have cleaned a bungalow, they just hang out on the porch and steps for a while. There are 3-4 of them and it takes them most of the day to clean the 10-12 bungalow, and there really isn't much to clean. Upon checking out I went to pay with my Visa but was told that for some reason I would have to wait until the bank opened, which was the same time as my ferry was leaving. Ended up having to go to an ATM and paying in cash.

The location is great as it's right next to the beach, and the Fizz bar is a nice place to hang out. There are plenty of shops and restaurants in the vicinity, serving all sorts of different styles of food. The DJL diving that is loosely associated with the hotel is great. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and a good group to hang out with in the evening for a few beers.

I saw a couple of small families staying at the "resort", but I wouldn't recommend it. Accomodations are very poor and there really didn't seem to be anything for kids to do.

Room Tip: Unless you plan on staying out until after 2 a.m., avoid the bungalows.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We recently stayed at Silversands for 4 nights and found it to be great value for money. For 800 baht/night we got a small bungalow with cold water shower (no need for hot in Thailand), fan (air con available for extra), double and single bed, fridge and tv.
The bungalows are cleaned daily with fresh sheets and towels. It's very basic but you have all you need. The resort is on Sairee beach, bar Fizz has good food and lovely views. There is a nice atmosphere and the staff were friendly and very helpful. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed at Silver Sands in May, best I could say is thats its a great location. Rooms/huts are bit small and dark, theres no breakfast and it was expensive.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Rooms - We booked a bungalow near the beach but asked to move after the 1st night as we hardly slept due to the noise from both the Fizz bar and the bar next door. The sound of one may have been ok but when you can hear both clearly and they are playing different music at different tempos it was too much for us! We asked to move to a hotel room nearer the front of the hotel which was much nicer and they didn't even make us pay the difference (1800 bhat vs. 2500 bhat)

Location - walking distance to everything. There's a spa next door which gives you 10% discount as does the Davey Jones Locker dive school opposite. 7Eleven is just around the corner and there are plenty of places to drink and eat.

Food - breakfast isn't included but there are so many lovely and cheap places to eat nearby it doesn't matter. The rooms have a fridge and they provide drinking water each day. Fizz bar is on the beachfront which is lovely especially at sunset although not linked to Silver Sands so no discount.

Pool - there isn't a pool in the complex so the photos must be the pool at Davey Jones Locker; we never used it though as were always in the sea as the snorkelling is amazing on the island so can't comment.

Transfer - They offered to pick us up from the pier in Mae Head but when we arrived were nowhere to be seen so we had to get a taxi (200 bhat) although we did get that refunded so can't complain!

Overall I would definitely recommend staying at Silver Sands and would stay again when we come back to Koh Tao.

Room Tip: If you aren't planning on being out every night book a hotel room or don't be afraid to ask...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We were booked into Silver Sands by Big Blue Diving as we had booked to do a course with them. They put us into a lovely little bungalow only a few steps from the sea, within sight of Fizz Bar (which was an excellent place to sip Chang, eat Calamari and watch the sun set!) and we thought we had arrived at paradise. The bunglow was a little small and looked like it could have used some TLC, but it wasn't too bad and was one of the most comfortable beds throughout my 3 weeks in Thailand. However, we only managed one night at Silver Sands. After arriving back at about midnight from dinner, a few drinks and exploring Sairee Beach we were ready for sleep to make sure we fresh for our diving course. Unforunately, as we were so close to Fizz Bar, the music went on until 3 or 4 in the morning, which made sleep impossible, even with ear plugs. We got up the next day and had to move as there was no way we'd be able to do the course on that little sleep.
If we weren't after a bungalow near the sea, we might have moved to the Silver Sands hotel, as it seemed like a nice enough location, but instead we moved to Bow Thong resort which was amazing and I don't regret at all, even though it was a little bit pricier.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed here after escaping from lotus!!! It was like moving from the slums to the ritz. Lovely big rooms always clean. Huge tv, fridge with drinking water provided daily, nice hot shower and clean bathroom.
Read about the girl on reception but she was always lovely with us. Perfect location 2 minutes from the beach and near all the nightlife. Nothing to complain about this hotel would definitely stay again.

Stayed: March 2012