“Small, quite smelly rooms but excellent location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Silver Sands Beach

Silver Sands Beach
Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Auckland, New Zealand
“Small, quite smelly rooms but excellent location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights after leaving a nearby hotel (due to building work) and as our friends were also staying here. The bungalows are in an excellent location which can't be faulted and there is a young backpacker feel to the place....but that's all we really liked.
The rooms were very dark and dingy and very dated. We only chose fan and air con was double the price (we already feel the room was overpriced) and obviously the room was very stuffy. The bathroom smelt awful and this smell would spread around the room, our bathroom door vent was missing slabs so there was no way to prevent the smell from spreading. The bathroom was also awful with mould all over the walls and mirror.
Ants were also a slight problem. I can appreciate not Mich can be done when you are in an environment with lots of plants etc. But they were some on our bed and all on the floor.
If we had paid half the price I wouldn't be too upset, however we have stayed in much nicer bungalows and hotels thought our trip for half the price and don't think silver sands gives value for money.
The WiFi didn't work for any of our group during the whole trip and the rooms are very noisy at night so not best suited for people wanting a relaxing trip!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed at Silver Sands Hotel in Aug 2012. The room looked nice and it was well located but what was the surprise when in the middle of the night a huge rat woke us up!!! The reception at this time was closed (only opens 8.00-20.00) so we had to "wait" until it opened. We obviously complained but the two ladies at the reception didn't do anything else than laughing and even insulted my girlfriend... not a nice situation when you are on holidays... I would not recoment this place to anyone, there are plenty of places around with much better rooms for the price.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed in both the hotel rooms here and the fan bungalow(which weirdly had air con) and both were ideal for their prices. The hotel rooms are tastefully decorated with a large flat screen tv and a power shower for the more expensive price a the bungalows were smaller and dark but still cool and almost bug free. The hammocks on the balconies are a nice touch although no sun reaches here! bungalows are about 15m off the beach up a nice tree lined path and the hotel itself not much further away. Wifi was patchy at best and hotel has some pet dogs which I loved but some might not like? no restraunt facilities but plenty of lively places to eat both on the street and beach. hotel rooms closer to the road were noisy but only until around 11pm and bungalows were loud later from nearby parties but not very loud as closest bar closes at midnight ish and was chilled out. Loved my stay here and would recommend to anyone and defiantly go back!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank aoife91
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

Cheap bungalows. Horrible bathrooms - not sure if they are ever cleaned. Lady on reception very rude.

Air con good. Location is gorgeous with beach a few steps away - literally!

• Stayed June 2012
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

First, making the reservations was very easy and they didn't require a deposit. I did arrange to have transfer from the pier, but nobody was there when I arrived. After taking a taxi over, arrived and seemed like I was bothering the lady when I checked in. They do have the kind of troubling policy of taking and keeping your passport, something I haven't experienced anywhere else in Asia.

I stayed in an A/C Bungalow, and it kind of grew on me over the week I stayed there. It is very basic...two beds (actually kind of comfortable), a refrigerator, a TV that didn't show anything, and an all-in-one bathroom that smelled pretty bad and leaked from every line. The front porch is pretty nice to sit on and relax, but I wouldn't recommend the hammocks as I saw a gentleman across the way take a pretty good fall when his broke. Take serious note of the other posts about the noise...it is very loud at night and goes on until 2 a.m. The entire bungalow vibrates with the bass.

I wouldn't bother with the pool as it's usually full of folks taking diving instruction, and doesn't have any chairs anyway.

The cleaning girls are a hoot, as they certainly take their time. Once they have cleaned a bungalow, they just hang out on the porch and steps for a while. There are 3-4 of them and it takes them most of the day to clean the 10-12 bungalow, and there really isn't much to clean. Upon checking out I went to pay with my Visa but was told that for some reason I would have to wait until the bank opened, which was the same time as my ferry was leaving. Ended up having to go to an ATM and paying in cash.

The location is great as it's right next to the beach, and the Fizz bar is a nice place to hang out. There are plenty of shops and restaurants in the vicinity, serving all sorts of different styles of food. The DJL diving that is loosely associated with the hotel is great. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and a good group to hang out with in the evening for a few beers.

I saw a couple of small families staying at the "resort", but I wouldn't recommend it. Accomodations are very poor and there really didn't seem to be anything for kids to do.

Room Tip: Unless you plan on staying out until after 2 a.m., avoid the bungalows.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at Silversands for 4 nights and found it to be great value for money. For 800 baht/night we got a small bungalow with cold water shower (no need for hot in Thailand), fan (air con available for extra), double and single bed, fridge and tv.
The bungalows are cleaned daily with fresh sheets and towels. It's very basic but you have all you need. The resort is on Sairee beach, bar Fizz has good food and lovely views. There is a nice atmosphere and the staff were friendly and very helpful. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed at Silver Sands in May, best I could say is thats its a great location. Rooms/huts are bit small and dark, theres no breakfast and it was expensive.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple