“Great location and comfortable bungalow”
Review of Silver Sands Beach

Silver Sands Beach
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I stayed in a bungalow and it was lovely! The bungalows have a hammock on the front verandah - so relaxing - and there is a tropical garden around. I went with a more budget option (no air-con or hot water, just a fan and cold water) and it was fine.

The location is perfect - Sairee Beach is where all the activity happens at night - and next to the shops, 7-11, etc. Some bungalows were right on the beach, although I think this could be noisy at night. Mine was at the other end (near the hotel) and was quiet.

I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 May 2009

When I first arrived in Koh Tao I had no idea where I wanted to stay I just ask the taxi driver to drop me off in Sairee as other travelers I met said it was where to be! I must admit Silver sands was my first and only stop in my search for a room but after visiting new friends places on the island I was very glad I did not try other places!
The staff are amazing they are friendly, really make you feel at home, will help you with any query you may have. The location was second to none all the best restaurants and bars are in walking distance the beach pretty much on your doorstep!
And there poolside bar was the place to be during the day and night the Thai food there was also some of the best I've had in Thailand plus you get to meet all the locals and the pool parties are crazy!
What I love most about Silver sand was it incorporated everything Koh Tao is about, I was only meant to stay one week which then turn into three!
Can't wait to get back and would recommend this hotel and island to everyone I meet!
A big Thank you to all the staff at silver sands who work so hard to make people like me feel at home!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Maybe it was because of the superb reviews on Tripadvisor that Silver Sands Hotel didn’t quite live up to our expectations. Maybe it’s just that we’re too old for Sairee Beach!

We were picked up from the pier and taken to the hotel, free of charge. The room is exactly as it appears on the website so no nasty surprises there. Unfortunately the photos don’t depict just how small the room is and whilst it looks lovely when you check in, once the cases are unpacked it looks cluttered as there is precious little storage space.

Lighting is a major problem in the rooms, both day and night. One wall in the room is complete glass and is screened by white roller blinds (which rattle against the glass from the draught of the aircon unit) and these let almost full light into the room from sun-up. On the other hand, after dark the rooms are very dark as there are just moody spotlights in the ceiling, but none actually above the bed so if you like a read at bedtime, a torch is an absolute must.

There’s a fantastic big flat screen tv in the room but not many channels. There’s also a dvd player. On the one occasion when we decided to watch a dvd as it was raining, there were regular power cuts, which seems to happen every time it rains. These last from between just a couple of seconds to several hours. Try watching a dvd when every 5 minutes the power goes off and you have to fast forward to where you left off! It took us nearly an hour to watch the first 20 minutes of the film!

Privacy was another problem. The rooms look out to rooms opposite which are pretty close so you need to have the blinds down at all times if you’re in your room.

When I corresponded with John, the manager, when we were booking, I asked if there were any seaview rooms and was told that there were two which would be 3000 baht a night. We saw these rooms and there’s absolutely no way the sea would be visible. Sea facing, yes – sea view, no. There’s a roof terrace and you can just about see the sea from there. It’s certainly not that it’s far away, it’s just a minute’s walk but the trees obstruct the view. The roof terrace has just a few sunbeds on it, a few teak ones and a couple of plastic. There are no umbrellas and no padded covers. On a cloudy day I went to sit on one of the teak ones and it was absolutely boiling. I would imagine that if it were sunny it’s quite likely that they would blister your skin.

The swimming pool was just across the road, quite small, no shallow end, so not really suitable for children. I think it’s mainly used for diving training. We only used it once and the water was milky and highly chlorinated. Saying that, when we passed it on the day we left the water was crystal clear.

The hotel is situated in probably the noisiest part of Sairee, right next to the 7/11 so quite a bit of motorbike noise. There’s a bar opposite which seems to be the meeting point for groups of people which plays music at full blast so the people have to shout to make themselves heard which increases the volume more. This competes with Choppers Bar just around the corner which again plays music at full volume, together with the Lotus Bar which is next door but one which is probably the busiest bar on the beach. It’s only the aircon unit which muffles this noise so if you don’t need it on or there’s a power cut (for some reason the power cuts don’t affect all of Sairee) the noise is quite overwhelming.

Although the hotel was only opened last December, already there are some quite unpleasant smells emanating from the bathroom at times and already there are signs of damp.

On a more positive note, the rooms are kept absolutely spotlessly clean. The cleaners come in daily and don’t just clean, but tidy your things away too.

To sum up, what you get at Silver Sands is a room, nothing more. There is no terrace to sit out on, no bar, no gardens, just a room, a very nice but very small room. I think 2500 baht a night is fairly overpriced considering there’s no breakfast included or even a kettle in the room. There are certainly better deals on Koh Tao.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MizzTraveller
Reviewed 23 April 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks during our trip to Thailand. The hotel is in a great location with everything close by. The rooms were very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful during our stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2009

We originally booked for 3 nights and stayed a week! We had an air conditioned room and ensuite for 3 people with its own flat screen TV and DVD player. It’s a boutique type hotel for Ko Tao. The hotel is centrally located on Sairee beach, with its own pool, pool bar, and less than 100 metres from the beach itself. The food at the pool bar is fantastic and cheap and the staff are friendly and helpful, especially John, the manager who provided good advice and information on Ko Tao. We even received a complimentary pick up from the Mae Haed Pier upon arrival to the hotel on the back of a pickup truck which is the norm for transportation. What more can you ask for?

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2009

I started off my Thailand vacation in Ko Tao, primarily to do some scuba diving. They picked me up from the pier and shuttled me to the hotel (I must admit that the ride in the back of the pickup was one of the scarier moments of my trip). The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I had corresponded with them in advance to book my stay and would encourage doing so since there are a limited number of bungalows. The room had indoor shower and toilet, as well as a/c, which I guess makes it more upmarket than some other options (and you pay a little more for it). If, like me, you require a minimum level of amenities and have the budget then I would highly recommend. One thing worth noting is that if you are near the beach there is a beach bar (Fizz) just in front of the resort that plays music pretty loud until 2am. So it's a good spot if you are down for a little partying.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2009

stayed at silver sands wtih three of my best friends and we had the time of our lives. The modern and stylish hotel was lovely and in a great location. All staff were friendly in particular the manager John, he was a top bloke who really helped us to make the most of our holiday. We cant wait to return!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends