“Don't stay here”

Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Australia
“Don't stay here”
Reviewed 8 January 2011

This hotel does not have a pool, the pool in the photograph advertising Silver Sands is a distorted image of an above ground pool situated right beside a dirt road, with bikes and general public walking past, constantly. It is the dive school's teaching pool. NOT A SUITABLE POOL FOR CHILDREN, OR RELAXING. The room's have no privacy, the blinds have to be pulled down at all times and if not, have a look one of the images I have loaded. The bathroom has no privacy, the room has no balcony, the external lights are left on ALL NIGHT so the room is never in the slightest level of darkness suitable for sleep, I slept on one side, back the the windows for the 6 unhappy nights I was there (sadly no more hotels were available,peak season. I tried to move) The rude woman in reception promised the lights would be turned off at 8pm, but I bet this is what she tell everyone who complains. It is situated on the main road, with a walkway to the beach on the lefthand side, and access through the centre of the hotel, with a constant stream of drunks, all night, with people screaming and fighting all night. ie. no security whatsoever. I was woken at least 10 times a night with lights and people screaming. There is no suitable bedside lighting, so forget reading in bed. After I paid 22,000 baht, for 2 rooms,the woman at reception didn't even say thankyou, or hope you had a nice time - nothing. A few lessons in politeness wouldn't go astray here. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE. Also, there is NO WHERE TO RELAX AT THIS HOTEL. No Beach, a small platform 2.5 x2.5 on the very narrow beach is the only place, which is of course always taken. Otherwise, its locking yourself in your room, with the blinds pulled down. And, there is NO HOT WATER.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank CorriedogAustralia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 12 September 2010

We stayed in a double bed fan bungalow. It was quite basic but we were in a good mood and did not need that much. The bathroom was half broken, the furniture not so well maintained, in the night if your bungalow is next to the beach bars it might be noisy. On the other hand our bungalow was close to the beach and it had a nice hammock. There is a really good place to eat next to the resort (Big Blue). Taxi boats as soon as you get to the beach. The location is great for young people.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Pijnacker
Reviewed 14 July 2010

This is only a place for young backpackers not a place for a family. The beach is poor and there are no beach chairs. The bungalows are small and dark, The bathroom stinks and everything in it is broken. The swimingpool is not close to the bungalows, but is outside the resort next to the diving school. The bungalows is right next to a beach bar which play music until two in the night. So do no expect to sleep before. The Bungalow (beside the bathroom) was clean but this is about the only positive thing one can say about the resort. We had booked more nights but only stayed one.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Newbridge, Ireland
Reviewed 22 May 2010

We stayed at Silver Sands for 5 nights as part of an upgrade with Davy Jones Locker Diving (opposite silver sands). Got a discount price also as we pre-booked two PADI courses. (Would def reccommend this Diving company, professional and great fun!).
The accommodation was very clean and tidy, double bed with ensuite with great shower + hot water. Flat screen tv with English channels. Room was overall nice.
Internet downstairs at reception, not sure if there was free Wi-fi. Room was cleaned every day with fresh towels and bottled water in fridge.
There was a small amount of noise during the night, we had ear-plugs just in case. We are a young couple but no party animals! Also as we were diving every morning we wanted a good sleep.
Location is good, right on the street next to 7/11. Lots of bars and restaurants very close. Our best restaurant was an Italian actually, opposite the Optitions, (try the mushroom brushetta, gorgeous!!).
Sairee Beach only 1 min walk! Fizz bar on the beach is great for drinks, lounging on beanbags :)
One thing I will mention is that I wouldn't trust the staff at reception (two young girls). When we arrived, they said we had to pay 2000 baht as Davy Jones had paid the rest. Having going across to DJL, they said we didnt have to pay anything as they paid our accommodation already. Were they scamming us? Yes prob! But they gave us the 2000 back without a word said...! Fishy, just beware!
Other than that we enjoyed our stay, no big frills as it is quite small, no restaurant, pool or breakfast etc but there are plenty of lovely cafes/restaurants very close all with great, cheap, fresh food! Would def stay again.

*When arriving at Koh Tao port, you really have to haggle the price for taxi, they were all saying 200baht, however we got it down to 50baht! Just something to note! :)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emmilkins
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2010

The staff is friendlier than ever and the bungalows are right on the beach. There is a small dance floor just feet away from the beach that get's going about 10 pm and doesn't stop until 3 am. The people are fun and interesting!

Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Melrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Just returned from Ko Tao and the Silver Sands the other day! Missing my comfy bead and great shower!! Originally booked for an A/C cottage, but when we got there decided to upgrade to a room - V comfy, incredibly clean and really well located. Never saw a bug the whole 8 nights we were there and didn't get one mozzie bite either. Silver sands is well located in the middle of town, has a great beach bar, Fizz and is right beside DJL Dive shop which is Fabulous. The girls in the office are super and were really helpful and friendly. You can hear the boom of the base from the bars at night, but it finishes around 1am - it didn't really bother us - slept well the whole time and were up at 6.30am every day for diving! Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel - The cottages are v different from the rooms - but that is pretty obvious from the pics on the website.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hil71
Vancouver
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I stayed in the hotel section at the Silver Sands during the second week of February and found the rooms in the newer hotel section to be quite comfortable and clean. The area where the hotel is located is quite busy and noisy.
The security boxes are not provided in the rooms but are located in the lobby and the hotel staff provide a key to the guests for the box that you are assigned.I put my valuables and digital SLR into the box when I didn't need the camera.
As I was leaving for Koh Samui early the next morning I decided to pay up my account the evening before. I removed my wallet from the security box and paid cash to the front desk clerk.and she must have noticed that I had cash in my wallet.I put my wallet with the remaining cash back into the security box and the following morning when I removed my wallet from the box my cash was gone.......over $800 US of Baht, US and Can $.
The considerate thief did however leave 3000 baht in the wallet so I wasnt without any cash.The camera case was also gone through.The thief did not take my passport or credit cards...only the cash.
Of course I reported it to the front desk (same girl from the previous night) and she finally called her manager and the owner at my insistance.The manager basically told me to report it to the plolice and offered a night free so I could report it. The owner indicated that she could not speak English.I made it very clear to the owner and manager who I thought the culprit was.I was told that there are several keys for each security box As I had made arrangements for the continuation of my holiday I decided to save myself the aggravation of making a report to the Thai Police which would have been a complete waste of my time and proceeded to Koh Samui.
The bottom line is not to trust the security boxes and the front desk staff at this etablishment. This was definately an inside job.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends