“Watch out for the water in the rooms!”

Coral View Resort Thailand
Ranked #48 of 145 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed 30 December 2013

In honor to write an honest review, I must start with the positive aspects of Coral View Resort: The pick-up at MaeHaad pier was done accordingly when we arrived. The location of the resort on Haad Tien beach is beautiful. Situated right in front of the Shark Island, you can really wander about the good life in paradise. Although the weather on Koh Tao wasn’t great during our stay, we rented snorkeling gear and had the chance to see a reef shark. The beach itself contains some small rocks and coral, so bring flip flops! Because of the fact all of the food (like on every island) needs to be imported, it’s needless to complain about the quality and prices of the dishes in the restaurant.

However, in this place I had my worst experience in a hotel/b&b so far: In every room there are standard 2 plastic bottles of water. Maybe the staff just did not replace these bottles after the high season, but once we opened them at night, the smell was disgusting. Obviously it smelled like gasoline (next day we did a one day trip on a boat and we recognized this particular diesel smell in the harbor). Due to the fact there was no airco in the room and the bar was already closed, my girlfriend did not have another option as she was so thirsty. Also the water from the shower and the sink was kind of muddy, so drinking this was out of the question as well. Eventually she became sick at night and had to puke. In search for some help and (clean!) water, I knocked on one of the doors at the bar as I remembered there was one staff-member sleeping behind it every night. After several attempts, he opened the door and I explained the situation to him. While giving me 2 bottles of Coke, he told me some guests had the same complaints a few weeks before. Well, why did the hotel did not take these complaints into account?! The next day two chambermaids brought 2 fresh bottles of water, but this incident messed up our stay at Coral View.

It seems to me we underestimated the small room without airco. There are no windows, just some plastic shutters and they don’t isolate the small, hot space against the noise of the frogs and surrounding neighbors. Furthermore, the resort lies on the isolated southern coast of the island. One day, we went to Sairee beach in the afternoon. When we wanted to go back to the resort, we had a very hard time finding a cabdriver who was prepared to drive us back to the other side of the island. In the end we found one, but he had to ask other local people several times which way he was supposed to drive (something he found very irritating).

Overall I do not want to go back to the Coral View resort. I suppose this is not such a bad place overall, but the circumstances for me and my girlfriend were not ideal. Maybe a 1 night stay instead of 3 nights is more convenient…

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WouterVG7

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I would just like to put a review on regarding my recent experiences and dealings with the hotel manager following a cancellation I had to make for reasons that I made an error in the booking by picking the wrong resort. I booked via booking.com who I have to also add that there customer services department are excelent. I was asked to contact the hotel manager myself as the booking i made in error was also a non refundable cancellation of the full amount. After explaining my case to Mr Theerapat he very kindly agreed to cancel the booking without any penalty which I think was commendable and honest of him to do so. I do hope next year to visit Thialand and will make it my business to look at booking here if only to thank him personaly for helping rectify my stupid error. Thank you Mr Theerapat.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank yozzer61
Reviewed 28 August 2013

In the words of Sir Alan Partridge our stay in Coral View resort was 'first class'. After staying in some horrific hostels with terrible staff, it was an absolute breath of fresh air to be greeted with warm smiling faces, who were fantastic in every aspect of our stay. Helpful. Cheerful. Delightful.

Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Me and six other friends stayed at this beautiful resort for four days. When we arrived we could not believe the surroundings, such a beautiful view. The rooms were basic but still very nice! I would recommend it to families or even for a young group of people like us. The beech is beautiful. They provide many services suck as snorkelling and kayaking which provided hours of entertainment. The staff are very helpful, especially the manager. To sum up I would stay here again anytime :)

2  Thank lsco91
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Coral View Resort is basic and out of the way. The beach is right outside your door (if not always visible from your window) and the sealife is bountiful.

If this is what you're looking for, this is your kind of place :-)

If you're looking for more than two restaurant options, air conditioning and pristine floors and bathrooms, you might want to carry on searching.

We had fun, the kids played in the water and we got to know the menu of the restaurant next door (a few meters along the beach) very well. The diving is cheap and the snorkeling pretty cool.

We only took the taxi into town a few times during our stay. For the rest, hanging around in the hammocks and loungers was good enough.

Tip: bring bug spray, sunscreen and water/beach shoes - the coral pieces on the beach cuts up your feet pretty badly.

1  Thank SA_in_BC
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Good thing --> the free wifi of the reception reached our room. Fridge in the room, wich is nice to keep your beverage cold ;-).
Very nice small bay, and quite. Kayaks for rent and nice trip to the shark Island.
Friendly owners (english speaking).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I do think people need to adjust their expectations according to where they are. An isolated guest house on an island in Thailand is bound to have some limitations. Coral View Resort is no exception. First of all, it would probably serve them better not to call themselves a resort, as "resort" creates expectations that this place cannot satisfy. It is way off the beaten path, at the end of a crazy super steep little road that many taxis in the area won't even attempt. So once you are there you if you want to leave you are dependent on their own taxi service (100 baht in each direction per person), walking (which is fine as long as you are healthy and fit to get up that hill), or renting a motorbike (which is cheap and easy in the nearby town). Leaving the property will start to seem pretty appealing as the food there is not very good and like all of the island restaurants quite pricey compared to food in the rest of Thailand. Everything on the island has to be imported so that means higher prices for just about everything. The rooms were adequate for anyone not expecting luxury. The great part of Coral View is the quiet private bay for snorkeling (though snorkel rentals were cheaper at the guest house right next door- seems kind of dumb for them to make theirs more expensive). We saw lots of black tipped reef sharks. The fish population was wonderful though the coral was mostly dead. (much better coral/underwater topography at Aow Leuk). We thought that if the owner was clever they could really make Coral View fabulous. But they need to apply some creative thinking to it.

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms are worth it. The others are perched up on a steep hillside.