“Overpriced! Both the accommodation & restaurant” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coral View Resort Thailand

Coral View Resort Thailand
Ranked #41 of 132 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Koh Tao
“Overpriced! Both the accommodation & restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Charged us $27 per night in a fan room up the hill. Not easy to climb up, not easy to go down for I am suffering leg problems. No hot water in the room. No extra towels for swimming, the room is for 2 people but just provided 1 glass. It says that they have fridge in the room but it hasn't. We were not been told/advise that they could pick us up from the pier w/o extra charge, spent 400baht. So, I asked them if its ok for them to send us to the pier instead upon check out, they said no. They said we could just get a taxi to pick us up instead & pay 100 baht each. So troublesome. Would never ever go back to this place again!!! The restaurant food is ok but they over charged us too. The price from the menu is not the same with the bill. So don't let this lady fool you.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ghent, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

In honor to write an honest review, I must start with the positive aspects of Coral View Resort: The pick-up at MaeHaad pier was done accordingly when we arrived. The location of the resort on Haad Tien beach is beautiful. Situated right in front of the Shark Island, you can really wander about the good life in paradise. Although the weather on Koh Tao wasn’t great during our stay, we rented snorkeling gear and had the chance to see a reef shark. The beach itself contains some small rocks and coral, so bring flip flops! Because of the fact all of the food (like on every island) needs to be imported, it’s needless to complain about the quality and prices of the dishes in the restaurant.

However, in this place I had my worst experience in a hotel/b&b so far: In every room there are standard 2 plastic bottles of water. Maybe the staff just did not replace these bottles after the high season, but once we opened them at night, the smell was disgusting. Obviously it smelled like gasoline (next day we did a one day trip on a boat and we recognized this particular diesel smell in the harbor). Due to the fact there was no airco in the room and the bar was already closed, my girlfriend did not have another option as she was so thirsty. Also the water from the shower and the sink was kind of muddy, so drinking this was out of the question as well. Eventually she became sick at night and had to puke. In search for some help and (clean!) water, I knocked on one of the doors at the bar as I remembered there was one staff-member sleeping behind it every night. After several attempts, he opened the door and I explained the situation to him. While giving me 2 bottles of Coke, he told me some guests had the same complaints a few weeks before. Well, why did the hotel did not take these complaints into account?! The next day two chambermaids brought 2 fresh bottles of water, but this incident messed up our stay at Coral View.

It seems to me we underestimated the small room without airco. There are no windows, just some plastic shutters and they don’t isolate the small, hot space against the noise of the frogs and surrounding neighbors. Furthermore, the resort lies on the isolated southern coast of the island. One day, we went to Sairee beach in the afternoon. When we wanted to go back to the resort, we had a very hard time finding a cabdriver who was prepared to drive us back to the other side of the island. In the end we found one, but he had to ask other local people several times which way he was supposed to drive (something he found very irritating).

Overall I do not want to go back to the Coral View resort. I suppose this is not such a bad place overall, but the circumstances for me and my girlfriend were not ideal. Maybe a 1 night stay instead of 3 nights is more convenient…

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank WouterVG7

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Kableshkovo, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I would just like to put a review on regarding my recent experiences and dealings with the hotel manager following a cancellation I had to make for reasons that I made an error in the booking by picking the wrong resort. I booked via booking.com who I have to also add that there customer services department are excelent. I was asked to contact the hotel manager myself as the booking i made in error was also a non refundable cancellation of the full amount. After explaining my case to Mr Theerapat he very kindly agreed to cancel the booking without any penalty which I think was commendable and honest of him to do so. I do hope next year to visit Thialand and will make it my business to look at booking here if only to thank him personaly for helping rectify my stupid error. Thank you Mr Theerapat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank yozzer61
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

In the words of Sir Alan Partridge our stay in Coral View resort was 'first class'. After staying in some horrific hostels with terrible staff, it was an absolute breath of fresh air to be greeted with warm smiling faces, who were fantastic in every aspect of our stay. Helpful. Cheerful. Delightful.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Me and six other friends stayed at this beautiful resort for four days. When we arrived we could not believe the surroundings, such a beautiful view. The rooms were basic but still very nice! I would recommend it to families or even for a young group of people like us. The beech is beautiful. They provide many services suck as snorkelling and kayaking which provided hours of entertainment. The staff are very helpful, especially the manager. To sum up I would stay here again anytime :)

2 Thank lsco91
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Coral View Resort is basic and out of the way. The beach is right outside your door (if not always visible from your window) and the sealife is bountiful.

If this is what you're looking for, this is your kind of place :-)

If you're looking for more than two restaurant options, air conditioning and pristine floors and bathrooms, you might want to carry on searching.

We had fun, the kids played in the water and we got to know the menu of the restaurant next door (a few meters along the beach) very well. The diving is cheap and the snorkeling pretty cool.

We only took the taxi into town a few times during our stay. For the rest, hanging around in the hammocks and loungers was good enough.

Tip: bring bug spray, sunscreen and water/beach shoes - the coral pieces on the beach cuts up your feet pretty badly.

1 Thank SA_in_BC
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Good thing --> the free wifi of the reception reached our room. Fridge in the room, wich is nice to keep your beverage cold ;-).
Very nice small bay, and quite. Kayaks for rent and nice trip to the shark Island.
Friendly owners (english speaking).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple