“stunning view, nice place, nice staff”

Coral View Resort Thailand
Ranked #48 of 136 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Hamburg, Germany
“stunning view, nice place, nice staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

-very nice staff and german receptionist (lena)
-sea view bungalow was very nice(2 fans, balcony, nice bath) very clean! housekkeping does the room every day
-nice little hotelbeach! sadly no pool
-good area (chalok bay)
-breakfast was good, but the staff seemed to be a bit lazy that day
-many stairs from the beach to the bungalows
(at night many crabs crossing your way..but thats funny)
-the view is absolutely stunning!
we had a super offer from agoda.com 1500baht per day..was a limited offer for one of the seaview bungalows

otherwiese its more expensive i guess

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Coral View Resort is a very lovely place and the views are amazing. The resort is located a little far from town. Renting a motorbike is an option but keep in mind the hills to the resort are very steep. I would be scared to drive anything down or up the hills. You can walk into town, we did this a few times but as I mentioned steep hills are not as enjoyable. We scheduled for the hotel to pick us up from the Pier. The e-mail I received mentioned the hotel would have a sign with my name on it upon arrival. Well once we arrived my name was not on the board however other names were listed. I approached the guy because I saw “Coral View Resort”, and he pulled out a piece of paper with my name written on it (Not that big of a deal but if you arrange transportation and don’t see your name ask). We were given a well kept and clean bungalow. Wifi did not work in our room it seemed only in the bar and restaurant it would work. The beach was ok. I guess I was expecting a sandy beach and walking out into the water there is a lot of dead coral so it’s a little bit of a challenge to watch where you step. My boyfriend did some snorkeling he said it was nice. Overall, the hotel is fine and the food is really good. It is a little pricier for food than in town. Staff for the most part were friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BTravelerB
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed in the resort for 3 nights in the beginning of April. The resort is very hard accessible. U have 2 possibilities - rent a motorbike and use it to commute when you start to be bored at local beach or want to have a little nightlife... But in this case - YOU HAVE TO BE VERY SKILLED DRIVER! As the way from the top of hill down to the resort (last 200 metres) is VERY STEEP. The other and safer possibility is to order resort 4x4 car to drive you to the town, which costs 100 baht one way. I stayed in the normal bungalow for 800 baht a night / a fan room, no aircon. Not including breakfast. I was welcomed by not really welcoming stuff at reception and had to pay stupid deposit for a key. Which was actually normal simple key which can be made for 20 baht. So this is the first scam - of course - when you check out, the stuff tend to "forget" to give you deposit back. The lock at room is very simple and there is possibility to use padlock - if you bring your own! The room has no tresor or safety box. Bungalows are built in the hill, so be prepared to be able to put physical effort to reach some of them, which can be very uncomfortable for older or disabled people. On the other hand, resort has a beautiful garden and a perfect view to a Shark Island, which is about 200 metres from the beach. The sand on the beach is not soft - it is a mixture of small stones. Don't expect white sand. There are sun beds for free, but not much of them - i counted about 8 at the time I was there, but maybe they have more somewhere in the storage. There are also 2 convenient, but a little worn and old hammocks. Some of sun beds are already old and need maintenance... The room is pretty big and has a lot of space. There is a small table, 2 chairs, bigger table and big bed. No wardrobe or cupboard, so you have to find a place for your clothes (but you don't need much of them in tropical paradise...) Very useful and nice is a big bamboo towel hanger inside a room. There is also a smaller one outside the bungalow. The bed was nice, the mattrace convenient. I should sleep well well... Well I DID NOT. The reason - my bungalow was number 9 - the one closest to the trees up on the hill so about 4am i was awoke by the cicada concert. Damn, it was loud! But that was not the biggest problem. Next night I forget to put sandwich bread out of the room, which was a mistake... This is in the middle of the nature so there are many hungry animals around... The rats or mouses also. And one of them tried to make its way into my bungalow trough the bamboo cover of inner wall... Damn that was noisy also! But when i moved anything what smells as a food outside the bungalow (including a trash bin) - problem was solved :-) I have to admit - I live in Bangkok and I am used to buy a cheap street food. So the island like Ko Tao is like a Norway for east european tourist to me... I was able to get my food from local markets and streetshops, but if you will be reliant to resort's restaurant, be prepared to pay around 200 baht for a lunch. One particular moment totally damaged my perception of this resort as a nice place to be and it was the manager's (maybe owner's - a thai lady about 60) attitude to me as a visitor. I knew, that most resorts (especially secluded ones on the east cost) wouldn't be able to make a good coffee, so i brought my own filters and grinder fresh beans. When I asked Myanmar kitchen staff (there is Myanmar staff everywhere on Ko Tao) to pour some hot water for me, they were very helpful and also curious about my private small "coffemachine". The problem accrued when malicious manager/owner - the lady saw it. She made a small scene and asked me to apply for hot water on reception - not at back door of kitchen. I asked her what is the problem. She said I have to pay 5 baht for every hot cup from them. Do I have to say more about this lady? On the other hand - the beach was clean and as i said before - their garden is beautiful. The rooms are big and also shower room with toilette. Compared to the cheap 500 bungalows at Sairee beach - this was luxury! There was a problem first night with water - apparently the waste pipe was stuck and I had a small swimming pool for couple of hours in the shower. This year there is also a water shortage on Ko Tao and one evening there was no water from the shower at all! Wifi is working only on reception where the restaurant is situated. Resort has couple of canoes - ideal for trips to a Shark Island and of course a snorkelling equipment. Some english language books & magazines on the reception also. There is one other resort next to so if you want to try different type of food - you have this possibility. Which is more convenient as the bar from Coral View which is situated on the beach opens only late afternoon, so you have to climb all the steps up to the reception to order juice or a beer. So it is more convenient to use the neighbouring resort, which has a bar&restaurant right on the beach... My overall impression is bad - due to a grumpy woman - the owner or manager. I am not going to stay here another time and also not going to recommend it to my friends. Just in case they are Thai nationals - then it seems a woman has totally different attitude...

Room Tip: Becarefull of the bungalows on the top of hill, facing the trees - could be very noisy in the night...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank laco g
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We absolutely loved our stay here. It does not claim to be a luxury resort, so do not expect it to be. We stayed in a basic thai hut with fan and cold water shower but it was clean and comfortable and for 900THB per night more than sufficient. Food in the restaurant and beach bar were good. Western food is obviously more expensive than the Thai food but the Thai food was great! The road into Coral View is very steep so only accessible by 4x4 hence the reason it can be a bit more expensive than normal to get a taxi, but bargain a little and you can easily get one for 300THB. Sadly the reefs are now all largely dead but there are conservation efforts to regenerate it and there are several areas in the bay where coral is now growing again. Even just snorkelling you can see plenty of beautiful fish.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bridget M
Koh Tao
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Charged us $27 per night in a fan room up the hill. Not easy to climb up, not easy to go down for I am suffering leg problems. No hot water in the room. No extra towels for swimming, the room is for 2 people but just provided 1 glass. It says that they have fridge in the room but it hasn't. We were not been told/advise that they could pick us up from the pier w/o extra charge, spent 400baht. So, I asked them if its ok for them to send us to the pier instead upon check out, they said no. They said we could just get a taxi to pick us up instead & pay 100 baht each. So troublesome. Would never ever go back to this place again!!! The restaurant food is ok but they over charged us too. The price from the menu is not the same with the bill. So don't let this lady fool you.

• Stayed February 2014

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Ghent, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

In honor to write an honest review, I must start with the positive aspects of Coral View Resort: The pick-up at MaeHaad pier was done accordingly when we arrived. The location of the resort on Haad Tien beach is beautiful. Situated right in front of the Shark Island, you can really wander about the good life in paradise. Although the weather on Koh Tao wasn’t great during our stay, we rented snorkeling gear and had the chance to see a reef shark. The beach itself contains some small rocks and coral, so bring flip flops! Because of the fact all of the food (like on every island) needs to be imported, it’s needless to complain about the quality and prices of the dishes in the restaurant.

However, in this place I had my worst experience in a hotel/b&b so far: In every room there are standard 2 plastic bottles of water. Maybe the staff just did not replace these bottles after the high season, but once we opened them at night, the smell was disgusting. Obviously it smelled like gasoline (next day we did a one day trip on a boat and we recognized this particular diesel smell in the harbor). Due to the fact there was no airco in the room and the bar was already closed, my girlfriend did not have another option as she was so thirsty. Also the water from the shower and the sink was kind of muddy, so drinking this was out of the question as well. Eventually she became sick at night and had to puke. In search for some help and (clean!) water, I knocked on one of the doors at the bar as I remembered there was one staff-member sleeping behind it every night. After several attempts, he opened the door and I explained the situation to him. While giving me 2 bottles of Coke, he told me some guests had the same complaints a few weeks before. Well, why did the hotel did not take these complaints into account?! The next day two chambermaids brought 2 fresh bottles of water, but this incident messed up our stay at Coral View.

It seems to me we underestimated the small room without airco. There are no windows, just some plastic shutters and they don’t isolate the small, hot space against the noise of the frogs and surrounding neighbors. Furthermore, the resort lies on the isolated southern coast of the island. One day, we went to Sairee beach in the afternoon. When we wanted to go back to the resort, we had a very hard time finding a cabdriver who was prepared to drive us back to the other side of the island. In the end we found one, but he had to ask other local people several times which way he was supposed to drive (something he found very irritating).

Overall I do not want to go back to the Coral View resort. I suppose this is not such a bad place overall, but the circumstances for me and my girlfriend were not ideal. Maybe a 1 night stay instead of 3 nights is more convenient…

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WouterVG7
Kableshkovo, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I would just like to put a review on regarding my recent experiences and dealings with the hotel manager following a cancellation I had to make for reasons that I made an error in the booking by picking the wrong resort. I booked via booking.com who I have to also add that there customer services department are excelent. I was asked to contact the hotel manager myself as the booking i made in error was also a non refundable cancellation of the full amount. After explaining my case to Mr Theerapat he very kindly agreed to cancel the booking without any penalty which I think was commendable and honest of him to do so. I do hope next year to visit Thialand and will make it my business to look at booking here if only to thank him personaly for helping rectify my stupid error. Thank you Mr Theerapat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple