“No air con,No Frig,No hot water,No TV,and not cheap!”

Coral View Resort Thailand
Ranked #47 of 147 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Looks good in the pics,but the water is shallow off the beach,12 to 24 inches deep,and totally full of submerged coral rocks.
I grazed my shin on one,and later with a temp of over 39 degrees and an inflamed leg,had to get medical assistance a few day later for I guess coral poisoning.It laid me up for several days.
The beach sand is also coral sand,and not very pleasant to walk or lay on.
If you want peace and quiet though,with no distractions,or ur a scuba diving type,its a nice spot.
Next door on the beach is a nice restaurant /bar the Sai Dang beach kitchen,the fetta greek salad was great,likewise the hamburgers,but the beer not chilled enough..
Coral view resort also has a beach restaurant,but we did not wish to give them the business because of the room cost.The resort does have a daily free shuttle into town which is handy to buy supplies,eat out or do a bar or two.
The propery is extremely steep and hilly,so no place for the lazy, infirm or oldies,and I wouldnt recommend the beach for kids.

Room Tip: We had a beach front room,involved less climbing.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank n0mad4u

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

we spent two nights at coral view resort which is such nice spot to snorkel and chill out . but the thing is this resort is far away from town ,if you don't rent a scooter you just can ask the reception to get the taxi to town "twice a day and 100 bahts per person for one way to the pier". so we just stay here relax and enjoy the beach and got everyday meal from their overpriced restaurant. wifi was very hard to connect and you can access wifi only in the restaurant . housekeeping not coming everyday (every three days) and they charge you any extra "bed sheets , pillow ,dona..." so it's a good value resort with a nice location right on the beach bungalow on the hillside are nice.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

- Amazing View
- Great hotel if you want to be away from it all for a few days
- Hotel is totally isolated from town
- EXTREMELY steep hills to get to hotel, walking is difficult (do not walk at night!) and only 4x4 will safely make it; however you can definitely make the walk to the closest town/bay with restaurants and bars and beautiful beach
- taxi drivers are reluctant to go there and charge a lot to take you
- Beach is filled with Coral, is too sharp and jagged to be comfortable for swimming
- there is diving on site, and seems to be close to the popular diving spots

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 11 June 2014

-very nice staff and german receptionist (lena)
-sea view bungalow was very nice(2 fans, balcony, nice bath) very clean! housekkeping does the room every day
-nice little hotelbeach! sadly no pool
-good area (chalok bay)
-breakfast was good, but the staff seemed to be a bit lazy that day
-many stairs from the beach to the bungalows
(at night many crabs crossing your way..but thats funny)
-the view is absolutely stunning!
we had a super offer from agoda.com 1500baht per day..was a limited offer for one of the seaview bungalows

otherwiese its more expensive i guess

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Coral View Resort is a very lovely place and the views are amazing. The resort is located a little far from town. Renting a motorbike is an option but keep in mind the hills to the resort are very steep. I would be scared to drive anything down or up the hills. You can walk into town, we did this a few times but as I mentioned steep hills are not as enjoyable. We scheduled for the hotel to pick us up from the Pier. The e-mail I received mentioned the hotel would have a sign with my name on it upon arrival. Well once we arrived my name was not on the board however other names were listed. I approached the guy because I saw “Coral View Resort”, and he pulled out a piece of paper with my name written on it (Not that big of a deal but if you arrange transportation and don’t see your name ask). We were given a well kept and clean bungalow. Wifi did not work in our room it seemed only in the bar and restaurant it would work. The beach was ok. I guess I was expecting a sandy beach and walking out into the water there is a lot of dead coral so it’s a little bit of a challenge to watch where you step. My boyfriend did some snorkeling he said it was nice. Overall, the hotel is fine and the food is really good. It is a little pricier for food than in town. Staff for the most part were friendly.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BTravelerL
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed in the resort for 3 nights in the beginning of April. The resort is very hard accessible. U have 2 possibilities - rent a motorbike and use it to commute when you start to be bored at local beach or want to have a little nightlife... But in this case - YOU HAVE TO BE VERY SKILLED DRIVER! As the way from the top of hill down to the resort (last 200 metres) is VERY STEEP. The other and safer possibility is to order resort 4x4 car to drive you to the town, which costs 100 baht one way. I stayed in the normal bungalow for 800 baht a night / a fan room, no aircon. Not including breakfast. I was welcomed by not really welcoming stuff at reception and had to pay stupid deposit for a key. Which was actually normal simple key which can be made for 20 baht. So this is the first scam - of course - when you check out, the stuff tend to "forget" to give you deposit back. The lock at room is very simple and there is possibility to use padlock - if you bring your own! The room has no tresor or safety box. Bungalows are built in the hill, so be prepared to be able to put physical effort to reach some of them, which can be very uncomfortable for older or disabled people. On the other hand, resort has a beautiful garden and a perfect view to a Shark Island, which is about 200 metres from the beach. The sand on the beach is not soft - it is a mixture of small stones. Don't expect white sand. There are sun beds for free, but not much of them - i counted about 8 at the time I was there, but maybe they have more somewhere in the storage. There are also 2 convenient, but a little worn and old hammocks. Some of sun beds are already old and need maintenance... The room is pretty big and has a lot of space. There is a small table, 2 chairs, bigger table and big bed. No wardrobe or cupboard, so you have to find a place for your clothes (but you don't need much of them in tropical paradise...) Very useful and nice is a big bamboo towel hanger inside a room. There is also a smaller one outside the bungalow. The bed was nice, the mattrace convenient. I should sleep well well... Well I DID NOT. The reason - my bungalow was number 9 - the one closest to the trees up on the hill so about 4am i was awoke by the cicada concert. Damn, it was loud! But that was not the biggest problem. Next night I forget to put sandwich bread out of the room, which was a mistake... This is in the middle of the nature so there are many hungry animals around... The rats or mouses also. And one of them tried to make its way into my bungalow trough the bamboo cover of inner wall... Damn that was noisy also! But when i moved anything what smells as a food outside the bungalow (including a trash bin) - problem was solved :-) I have to admit - I live in Bangkok and I am used to buy a cheap street food. So the island like Ko Tao is like a Norway for east european tourist to me... I was able to get my food from local markets and streetshops, but if you will be reliant to resort's restaurant, be prepared to pay around 200 baht for a lunch. One particular moment totally damaged my perception of this resort as a nice place to be and it was the manager's (maybe owner's - a thai lady about 60) attitude to me as a visitor. I knew, that most resorts (especially secluded ones on the east cost) wouldn't be able to make a good coffee, so i brought my own filters and grinder fresh beans. When I asked Myanmar kitchen staff (there is Myanmar staff everywhere on Ko Tao) to pour some hot water for me, they were very helpful and also curious about my private small "coffemachine". The problem accrued when malicious manager/owner - the lady saw it. She made a small scene and asked me to apply for hot water on reception - not at back door of kitchen. I asked her what is the problem. She said I have to pay 5 baht for every hot cup from them. Do I have to say more about this lady? On the other hand - the beach was clean and as i said before - their garden is beautiful. The rooms are big and also shower room with toilette. Compared to the cheap 500 bungalows at Sairee beach - this was luxury! There was a problem first night with water - apparently the waste pipe was stuck and I had a small swimming pool for couple of hours in the shower. This year there is also a water shortage on Ko Tao and one evening there was no water from the shower at all! Wifi is working only on reception where the restaurant is situated. Resort has couple of canoes - ideal for trips to a Shark Island and of course a snorkelling equipment. Some english language books & magazines on the reception also. There is one other resort next to so if you want to try different type of food - you have this possibility. Which is more convenient as the bar from Coral View which is situated on the beach opens only late afternoon, so you have to climb all the steps up to the reception to order juice or a beer. So it is more convenient to use the neighbouring resort, which has a bar&restaurant right on the beach... My overall impression is bad - due to a grumpy woman - the owner or manager. I am not going to stay here another time and also not going to recommend it to my friends. Just in case they are Thai nationals - then it seems a woman has totally different attitude...

Room Tip: Becarefull of the bungalows on the top of hill, facing the trees - could be very noisy in the night...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank laco g
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We absolutely loved our stay here. It does not claim to be a luxury resort, so do not expect it to be. We stayed in a basic thai hut with fan and cold water shower but it was clean and comfortable and for 900THB per night more than sufficient. Food in the restaurant and beach bar were good. Western food is obviously more expensive than the Thai food but the Thai food was great! The road into Coral View is very steep so only accessible by 4x4 hence the reason it can be a bit more expensive than normal to get a taxi, but bargain a little and you can easily get one for 300THB. Sadly the reefs are now all largely dead but there are conservation efforts to regenerate it and there are several areas in the bay where coral is now growing again. Even just snorkelling you can see plenty of beautiful fish.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple