“Astonishing view, but...”

Coral View Resort Thailand
Ranked #44 of 153 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights. It is situated in Shark Bay a great little bay in front of Sahrk Island. They have different range of accomodations I chose the cheapest ( 350 BAth low season). The Thai style hut is nice and comfy but I have to say...not super clean......and that is a pity. First coz the place is amazing. Amazing the view from the restaurant, nice the people of the Diving Shop and the location is just quiet and in the middle of a great NAture.
The beach is between sandy and corals fragments so not powdery sand. The snorkeling over there is absolutly great , you can snorkle between reef sharks! Yeaps of super coloured fishes and marine fauna. Lovely.
As I said it is a great place I am just disappointed for the cleanliness and I have to say part of the staff...not very friendly ( Probably coz of the low season so they didn't really gave a darn). The food is nice. I saw the deluxe rooms and they seems clenear and fully equipped with comforts, SO yes I would racommend the place if you like to be in a quiet place hoping that you will be luckier than I was about the staff mood and the cleanliness!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 October 2009

Spent 2 nights at this resort in a luxury apartment for 1000Bht a night. Do not expect luxury and you you will be fine here. The room was spacious, fairly basic and reasonably clean with a deck with sea views. The restaurant was nothing flash but served ok food with great views but the beach bar was excellent serving well priced cocktails that actually had a decent amount of alcohol in them compared to most places in Thailand. The staff were also friendly and attentive. The best thing about this place is the beach and the snorkeling you do just off the beach. Lots of colourful sea life and decent coral. Overall a good spot for a quite 2 or 3 days relaxation

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2009

Spend 5 days a this resort with my wife and three kids and had a wonderful time. The pickup form the harbour was well aranged and very spectacular. The resort is very secluded, but that is where we were looking for. Like a Bounty island! We had our meals in the resorts restaurant and also at the next door New Heaven Nature Huts. Both well priced, plenty of choice and good quality. Although I must say that we prefered New Heaven because off its spot right on the beach. We spent our nights in the luxury rooms, which were oke for us. We don't demand high standards. Staff at both places is very nice.
Besides the snorkeling, which is very nice straight off te beach (plenty of fish, corals and reefsharks) we actually wanted to discover some scuba at the resorts small diveshop. Small boats, small groups, so a very personal approach to customers which feels very confident. Eventually we all succeded in our Padi Open Water. Thanks Steve and Jesse for your patience, teaching and all the fun we had. We felt very secure under your supervision. We are proud you were our instructors.

Hans Mols & family, or as Jesse would say: Team Holland!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2009

In anticapation of are trip i searched endlessly for the perfect hotel. Ko tao seemed to be perfect island getaway but the coral view resort made the trip very special.The level of service from the pick up at the pier to the food in the restarunt was 5 star. Nothing is more romantic that sitting at the hotel bar night with brillantly made cocktails looking at the beach and shark island.These small things helped make our 11 days there the perfect vacation.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Ten blissed-out days at the Coral View Resort (my second stay there): snorkling right off the beach, awesome staff, great restaurant. The snorkling tour of the island (five stops with lunch and gear provided for 600 baht!) was tops, as was Happy Hour cocktails at On On's Bar, where I made loads of friends from around the world. Secluded location away from the crowded eastern side--I've been all over the island, and Coral View is definitely the pick of the bunch! I'm headed back in January / February 2010 for my third stay. Cheers, Peter Heron (heron_peter@hotmail.com)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2009

This a VERY BAD hotel. No water in the bathroom which was very bad and no clean. Horrible and passive service. The food was not so good and not very generous. I don't recommand it. My wife and I was very desapointed and prefer to move in a other bay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We stayed 11 days at coral view. We enjoyed the beautiful setting although we thought of staying much shorter at the beginning because the beach is not so good for young children. There are a lot of corals, which is great for snorkeling (nice black tip sharks) but makes the swimming almost impossible. We all got small cuts on the first day. Bring some plastic shoes along ! The 700 baht bungalows have a sea view, but there are a bit old, very dark at night, not super clean, and are extremely hot during day time. There is not water in the resort, even in the most expensive rooms, which makes shower difficult fot the kids. The restaurant is not so good. The problem is that the access is so difficult that you can't really go eat anywhere else (except at the new heaven restaurant, much better and friendlier). If you want to go to town, you have to pay for the resort taxi wich is really expensive (100 b per person / one way), like all the other taxis on the island.
The only really good thing, apart from the location is the lovely bar, with good cocktails and a very friendly staff. We finally decided to leave, although we had fist thought of staying 3 weeks because people were just rude, not helpful and greedy. I'm usually an easily cotented person, but I was really disappointed with the people there. So I moved next door, and had a fantastic stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family