“'Luxury' by Thai standards, but still a great place to stay.”
Review of The Rocks Villas

The Rocks Villas
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Myself & my wife stayed here on are Honeymoon for four nights, as part of our Thai tour. The resort is situated high above Sairee Beach with a lovely sea view & an Affinity pool which is shared by the three villas on site. We were staying in the 'Couples' villa, which was nicely decorated, had a modern bathroom, spacious living room & kitchenette.Everywhere is nicely furnished. Outside was a large verandah where we ate breakfast with a comfortable hammock too.
The grounds are lovely, with birds & butterflies everywhere. It is a real oasis of calm.The staff, Toni & Chloe (Janine is on maternity leave) were great. Friendly, super helpful & really added to the quality of stay, with there recommendations & advise.Call them on the villa mobile phone & breakfast appears within 30 minutes & is served on the private terrace. Breakfast was excellent.
As people have commented, access to the villas is very steep & can be a really effort to walk, especially in the heat, but we were happy to stay by the pool & enjoy the peace or get a taxi into town. Food can also be delivered from local restaurants, although we found this a bit 'hit & miss' with some places too busy deliver or issues over the phone with language.Overall, I am really glad we stayed here & I would recommend, however, I believe my suggestions below would further enhance the experience.
1) Pool sun beds - they were incredibly uncomfortable with no cushions & were no way 'luxury'.

2) 'Couples Villa' fridge- was far too small & was in fact a minibar.Bearing in mind food is a long walk away, it would have been great to have had the option of storing fruit, cheese etc, so we could make a lunch, without having to trial into town.

3) No wifi - this was the only place we stayed without & we found it inconvenient. We couldn't look up restaurant options on the web, check emails etc.Now you can argue that it would detract from the 'away from it all' feel, but in reality, people staying in this type of place (ie not cheap), have business to attend to at home & need to have access to email.

With these things addressed, the place would be perfect in my opinion & I hope the owners accept my suggestions. Will definitely return here!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Leedsaway67
JanineTheRocks, Owner at The Rocks Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your great review! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. And thank you very much for your input, you raise some very fair points.

I am very happy to say that we will offer FREE WIFI in all our villas starting from mid March (finally! haha). You are very right to mention it, thanks.

I will also look into getting mats made for our pool chairs this year, thank you for pointing this issue out to me.

And in response to your suggestion about the fridge, I will have a look if I can find a larger sized fridge that would fit under the kitchen counter. In the meantime, we don't mind if you remove the mini bar stock to make some space in there. The Family Villas both have a full sized fridge by the way.

I will extend your praise to Chloe & Toni, I am sure they will be happy to hear it :)

We appreciate your suggestions and wish you and your wife all the best for the future!

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for The Rocks Villas

Reviewed 1 January 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at The Rocks for 5 nights in December 2012 in the couples villa. We were very impressed with the villa. Very spacious for two people and very nicely furnished. It felt like a home away from home.

The staff at The Rocks are fantastic. Always there to assist you even when not on site. Only a phone call away on the complimentary mobile phone your given during your stay. Toni, Chloe and Janine were great, giving us tips on places to go, restaurants to visit and bars to have a drink at. The room was always spotless upon returning after a day out, thanks Lak.

The view from the villa is incredible. The photos you see don't do it justice. The pool is amazing and gets plenty of sun all day.

A lot of reviews on Trip Advisor comment about the steep hill up to the villa, as if it is a hassle to walk up. I can say if you are planning on coming to Koh Tao, be prepared for a lot of steep hills. I thought the hill was not too bad compared to other parts of the island. A 5 minute walk from the main road wasn't as bad as I expected. The location of The Rocks was perfect, a short stroll into the town of Sairee was a nice way to start the day. And if you aren't up for the walk down or back up, a phone call to The Rocks taxi driver will ensure a quick pick up and cheap ride back.

Thanks to all the girls at The Rocks. You made our visit to Koh Tao a memorable one.

Justin & Katie

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi Justin & Katie,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! It's very nice to hear you enjoyed Koh Tao and The Rocks. I will gladly extend your praise to the girls too, they will be happy :)

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Lovely, friendly hosts with local knowledge that we had been dying to get throughout our stay in Thailand! We loved all the restaurants, bars & things to do that Janine recommended, particularly the exclusive hire of the longtail boat for the day which was our best day! Although we wouldn't necessarily classify the accommodation as 'luxury', the local knowledge really does more than make up for it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi Sarah,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! I am glad our recommendations made your Koh Tao experience a great one. That's our goal ;)

Best wishes from the sunny island,

Reviewed 21 December 2012

I stayed at The Rocks for 3 nights in Dec 2012 and I must say that this was nowhere near enough time! The place itself its unbelievable! Its beautiful, spotless, modern and just a wonderful place to stay. The pool area and view is one of the best ive seen. The people are too kind...an amazing cooked breakfast and fresh Lassi bought to me by the pool each morning by Toni :) Janine and the crew were so lovely and I couldnt of asked for anything more. The villa was gorgeous, beds were amazingly comfortable. TV channels, air-con, A free mobile to call taxis if need be. However its only a 5 min walk if that to the beach, bars, restaurants etc. Koh Tao itself is unrea and staying here just topped off my experience. I will no doubt 100% be staying here when I return. Worth every penny and pure paradise!! :)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Awaters89

Hi Amy,

Thank you very much for your great review! We are very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we would be delighted to see you again on your next visit.

All the best from The Rocks Team!

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We have never felt compelled to write a trip advisor review before but we had such a brilliant time at the rocks I thought we should share this amazing place! The whole place was spotless, the villa we stayed in was just perfect, ticked all the right boxes. The location and accompanying view was just awesome only a few minutes from sariee walking, great pool plus everything you'd expect: Fridge, aircon, HD cable TV, mobile phone(!) and breakfast. Overall such a lovely, comfortable place thats great value, Janine and Rueben were great hosts We will definitely stay again if we get the chance. Best place on the island !! Thanks x

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
JanineTheRocks, Owner at The Rocks Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Hi C & Z,

Thank you very much for your lovely review! It was a pleasure to have you with us and of course we are looking forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Best wishes,
J & R

Reviewed 24 August 2012

We spent 4 nights at Rocks Luxury villas, it was wonderful: Janine and Reuben are very kind, Janine served us the breakfast every mornings in the villa, the view is nice and located in a calm place and very close from the shops, bars and restaurants. For sure, next time we will go back there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
JanineTheRocks, Owner at The Rocks Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Hi Etienne & Sabine,

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! It was a pleasure to meet you both. We hope you had a good journey home, and of course are looking forward to see you again on your next visit.

Warm regards,

Reuben & Janine

Reviewed 20 August 2012

First, the pluses:

Prices are reasonable.
It is a young couple´s venture; you can feel the passion to make it work.
The air conditioning in the rooms. Good beds,
Lots of space in the villas. A big fridge with lots of drinks.
A beautiful view. Tranquility, peace.
The f.o.c. cell phone with pre-registered numbers.
5 minutes walking distance to the main lovely beach, Sairee, which takes you to the center of town.
Janine tried to help us with everything possible. Changing breakfast for lunch (she would actually go herself to town with a bike to pick up the breakfast!!!)

The minuses:

The shuttle that was taking us to the house did not have the usual driver who was in a meeting but his wife, who did not stop yelling to other persons, stopped to get money in the ATM while we were stressed and tires form the hot trip.
When we arrived, Janine (7 months pregnant, owner), was alone. NO service to get our 9 pieces of luggage up the steep hill. When going through the services, the BBQ was broken, the service persons were on holiday, the husband was busy with the construction of another villa. That also contributed to the messy feeling.
The house is in a remote place, and the access is through a very steep hill. You need to book the taxi that takes 20 minutes to come and pay 250 BHT or take it in the 7-11 at 300 after negotiations. Every ride. Every day.
Lack of service. A steep slope to get to the house. The town is crowded, not ideal for our family with 3 kids.
No air conditioning at the dining room. You need to go out of the house.

All in all, taking into account we are a family of 5 and need assistance during our trips, I give it an average rating. I would give an excellent rating to Janine and Rubben´s dedication and hard work. However, Janine cannot do everything on her own! If you do not need that kind of service (young couple...), go for it!

Room Tip: Take the villa nearest the pool. We had that one. The other one requires walking further upstairs!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Hi Marcos and Family,

Thank you very much for your review and comments. We take it very seriously if one of our guests does not enjoy every aspect of their stay with us. Therefore I would like to give you and our future guests an explenation about a few points you raised.

First of all, I would like to apologise thoroughly once more that we didn't have all our staff on site at the time of your arrival to help with the suitcases. As I mentioned during your stay, everyone on Koh Tao is in a very difficult situation this August, as the island is going through the worst drought in history. In order to get water for showers to the resorts on the island, almost everyone has to queue for 4-5 hours every day to get 1000 litres of water pumped into a truck and then delivered. Some resorts even had to close down. We were literally on 24 hour duty to get enough water to our resort for all our guests to have showers and feel comfortable. Of course you couldn't know this, therefore I understand your complaint about there not being as many people around to serve you as you would have liked, but I hope you understand.

In response to the issue with the taxi service: I have spoken to the taxi driver and I understand there was a fight between you two, which I was very sorry to hear about. I hope this is not the reason why you were moved to write our villas a critical review. Please note that this taxi service is separate to our business, nevertheless I am glad you brought these issues to our attention. I have asked them to take our customers straight to our resort without delays in future and to be more timely on pick-up calls. A little tip: If you book this taxi service for an agreed time in advance they are always punctual.

Location is a very important part of our resort concept. We chose our location with stunning views, tranquility, privacy and peace and quiet. In order to achieve this our location has a steep hill which is now concreted all the way. It's an 800 meter (5 minutes walk) distance to the beach, some people walk it, some rent motorbikes, rent a jeep or take taxis. We clearly state on our website and all booking sites that our access is steep in some places.

You mentioned that the town was crowded, the reason for this is that August is one of the busiest months of our season. Our busy seasons are usually in mid-June till the end of August and around Christmas and New Year.

The weather was exceptionally hot this August, and I understand that you found it hot in the living rooms. I probably forgot to mention it to you, but if one leaves the doors to the bedrooms open (and shut all the windows and doors in the living room) the two air conditioners in the bedrooms are powerful enough to cool down the whole house ;)

At The Rocks we pride ourselves to give a very personal service to our guests, we are on call for 24 hours a day and assist our guests with everything they may need. We are very concerned to hear that you felt that we could have cared more about you and take your comments to heart.

We hope you had a good journey onwards and wish you and your family all the best.

Regards,