“Very Enjoyable”
Review of The Rocks Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
The Rocks Villas
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Dublin
“Very Enjoyable”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My girlfriend and I spent 3 nights here and thoroughly enjoyed it. The views are spectacular, the location is secluded and quiet and the villas are spacious and roomy. Don't let the hill put you off, rent a little scooter immediately - they're very cheap (one with 'guts' as Janine would say!) and then enjoy what the place has to offer. The pool is a wonderful place to pass a few hours and it's only a short stroll down to the beach. What made this place for me was the care and attention from Janine - she's the owner (Swiss French (or German!) but sounds English!). She helped us with absolutely everything and gave us a mobile phone for 3 days through which we ordered breakfast, arranged taxis, booked boat trips, restaurants and diving! She did everthing everything for us! I think my favourite part was breakfast, Janine would arrange the breakfast each day to be served on our balcony - beautiful views and beautiful fresh fruit.

The only negative I have is about Koh Tao and not the resort. The locals need to start learning more from Westerners, clean up the streets, stop burning fires everywhere and be more aware and respectful of your environment. Your economy relies on tourism - personally the constant lingering smoke in the air would put me off returning to the Island... but not the resort!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Spent 2 nights in the family villa to 'chill out' after a wedding on Samui. Two couples.

A group of us headed to Koh Tao after a wedding on Koh Samui.

A single friend stay at Asia Resort for THB1500 a night.
A couple stay at Sairee Sairee hotel for THB1500 a night.
Another couple stayed at Jamakhiri for THB6000 a night.
We stay at the 'Rocks Luxury Villas' for THB9900 a night.

Booking - Booking was a breeze and Janine (the owner) was very quick to respond to any emails that i sent. A deposit of half a nights stay was required to block the villa.

Arrival - Pick up - We arrived onto Koh Tao as a group of 9 people and we were all staying at different locations. The first 5mins of getting off the ferry are manic as there is a mad rush of people linking up with hotel reps to get to the hotels. The ferries have a capacity of 450pax and this ferry was full. All of our friends were picked up immediately from their hotel reps. Then it would seem that all others on the ferry were collected in good time too. We were the last people on the pier. Our pick up didnt arrive for another 20mins. This was very disappointing. This was highlighted to Janine upon arrival and she was apologetic and mentioned that traffic can be quite bad at that time. Unacceptable, how did all other people manage to get picked up ok? The car park was empty for 20mins before our pick up arrived.

Luggage - No porter to take our luggage to the villa. Janine mentioned something about letting the porter go recently. This was quite a strenuous climb from the parking area to the villa. We were left to carry our own luggage. Some of the cleaning ladies helped but this was not ideal as this is not their job!

Checking in- Janine asked for money from us directly once we were in the villa and had our 'welcome drink'. She forgot if I paid deposit or paid in full and then asked me how much outstanding was remaining, this seemed very unprofessional. However, the briefing was very informative and the ‘free’ phone and wifi dongle came in very handy.

The Villa – ‘Luxury’ seems to be a little overstated in this example. The fixtures and furnishing are very basic. The air-conditioning was limited to the bedrooms only, leaving the living/dining room too warm to use at any point during our stay. The bathroom was stuffy and had a constant damp smell inside, the shower unit was falling apart and the shower head fell off while using it at one point. No extractor fan in the bathroom.

Facilities – If you think you are going to get poolside service, look elsewhere. You must bring your own water, beers etc down to the pool. The infinity pool was great as we were the only people using it during our stay.

Breakfast – There is no restaurant or café in the premises or nearby. Janine will take your order for breakfast, order it from a place in town, and then serve it to you on your balcony. The breakfast we were served was good.

Check out – This was swift and easy and payment for our mini bar bill was made with no issues. I highlighted to Janine the issues with our stay and she asked if there was anything she could do to compensate our bad experience. I asked her to email me with some ideas, I am still waiting to hear from her. Perhaps this feedback will help…

Summary – I have stayed in Koh Tao before in Sensi Paradise. Building on from my last experience on the island, I wanted to treat my girlfriend and my friends to something really special this time around. The ‘Rocks luxury villas’ looked great on the internet and I was looking forward to a fantastic experience. I was left very disappointed and ripped off. Save yourself the money and hassle and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank IainQatar
JanineTheRocks, Owner at The Rocks Villas, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Hello,

First of all I have to say that I am very sorry that you were disappointed in us, all I want is to make our guests happy! The last thing I want to do is to mislead people by our website. This would make our job harder and people’s expectations unrealistic.

In your review you mention this:

A single friend stay at Asia Resort for THB1500 a night.
A couple stay at Sairee Sairee hotel for THB1500 a night.
Another couple stayed at Jamakhiri for THB6000 a night.
We stay at the 'Rocks Luxury Villas' for THB9900 a night.

Firstly as I am sure you are aware Asia Resort and Sairee Sairee are budget accommodation and their prices reflect that. Jamakhiri is a lovely resort and you mention their price of THB6000, and our price of THB9900 per night. I would like to clarify that one couple stayed at Jamakhiri for that price where as at The Rocks you were two couples staying for that rate. We find our prices to be competitive on the island.

To address the negative points you made:

Arrival - I cannot apologise enough for you to have to wait for our driver for such a long time, he is usually very punctual and reliable. The car park is never empty at our pier it is always heavily congested. They will be redesigning it this year.

Luggage - Even if we don’t have a porter on site at the moment we help our guests with their luggage, it’s not true that you were not left to carry it completely on your own. Me and the girls are happy to carry your luggage up to your villa, sorry you felt otherwise. We are replacing our male member of staff at present.

Checking in - I left my phone with all my notes and calendar down at the office, sorry about that. I simply asked you what was the outstanding balance of your stay, this was not meant to be unprofessional, but rather to save time.

The Villa - We clearly state on our website that there is air-conditioning in the bedrooms only. April is the hottest month in Koh Tao and I am sorry the multiple fans and large sliding door did not make it more comfortable for you in our sitting room. Sorry you experienced problems with your shower, I wish you would have mentioned it to me when I asked you if everything was alright every morning. I had a look at the unit after I read your review, it seems to be fine now.
We are currently planning to redecorate and update our villas by adding new facilities and furniture.

Facilities - I’m not sure what gave you the impression that we have poolside service. If things like that are important to you I would recommend to enquire to the resort you are staying at in advance in future as most small boutique villas will not offer poolside service.

We are particularly concerned that you tried to treat your girlfriend and friend to a special experience on Koh Tao. After reading your review it is clear that The Rocks did not live up to your expectations and we are very sorry about that. We pride ourselves on our location and privacy. We do not wish to provide poolside service, and with only three villas our own restaurant is not feasible. However many restaurants deliver to your door and we are available at any time to assist you with any requirements.

We greatly appreciate your feedback but it hasn’t helped us to compensate you for not reading our website fully. We are sorry your guests were not impressed with your choice. We apologise again for your pick up being late and your shower not working properly.

Even though I find your star ratings a bit unfair, I am glad to have this review on here. We are the original boutique villa resort on Koh Tao and pride ourselves in our location and personal service. Please read our website thoroughly before booking and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time with any questions. We are small enough to offer true care about you as an individual, we do anything to make your enjoy stay as enjoyable as possible.
Reviewed 20 January 2014

8 days in a family villa was just lovely. Spacious, clean, comfy bed, decent shower and beautiful views. Waking up, walking into the living area and seeing the view day after day is a real treat. The level of service is ideal - personal but not intrusive - Chloe was great and all of her recommendations were sumptuous and the mobile phone is so helpful.

Yes the hill is steep - but Kho Tao is hilly. Hiring a motor bike from the place chloe recommended meant we didn't walk the hill too often (get a bike not a moped as you will need the power) other than that there are taxis if you's prefer not to get the exercise! If I return to Kho Tao there is no doubt it'll be to the Rocks.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank CJ220975
JanineTheRocks, Owner at The Rocks Villas, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Thank you very much!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 January 2014

My husband and I were here Dec 31-Jan 8, 2014 and loved every moment. The two things that made our experience so unforgettable were the concierge and the view.

Even though we were in high season, the service was amazing and very personal. Chloe, our concierge, is on call 24/7 for anything you need. She's a UK expat who speaks perfect english, really knows the lay of the land and has amazing recommendations to share. We felt like she was our own little tour guide to help direct us in having the best trip possible - and we did, very much because of her.

We stayed in the executive villa. It's the newest villa at the top of the hill for the ultimate privacy and best view. The view was like waking up to a postcard every day. Absolutely stunning. The villa was beautifully designed with modern finishes and very spacious.

The Goods:
- breakfast (included) was very delicious. Chloe dropped it off daily which gave us the perfect opportunity to ask questions and book activities
- phone provided was helpful as it was full of phone numbers of the useful resources we would need that were vetted by the resort. This helped us avoid getting ripped off and kept us in a happy bubble of friendly people.
- pool was nice and always felt private, never filled with too many people
- located right by sairee beach so you can walk to everything you need

The Bad
- hill/walk: I know everyone mentions it, but it was tedious at times. Especially new years eve, stumbling up the hill. Bring a flashlight, it's not lit properly towards the top.
- toiletries: there aren't a lot provided (shampoo, conditioner), which is expected for the price.
- cleaning: was a casual level of clean.

We will stay here again and recommend it to anyone visiting Koh Tao.

Room Tip: executive villa
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mel and Dave C
Thank you very much for your review! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Also thank you for addressing some things that you noticed could be improved, we are taking them to heart.
We wish you all the best and of course would love to welcome you again with us sometime.
Best regards,
The Rocks Team
Melbourne
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 luxurious nights in the spacious couples villa. Chloe the manager was very attentive and friendly and had some great recommendations for Koh Tao. Beautiful view. The short road up to the villas is a bit scary with two people on a bike, but you get used to it.

You can make use of the delivery service from some of the best restaurants in Koh Tao if you want to stay and relax in the Villa. Breakfast is served on your balcony each morning.

Highly recommended accommodation!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review! We would love to welcome you with us again sometime.
All the best,
The Rocks Team
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My older daughter and I recently visited Koh Tao on a diving trip and after reading the reviews on a number of places in Koh Tao we chose The Rocks. It certainly lived up to the excellent reviews. It is a peaceful oasis compared to the dusty bustle of nearby Sairee Village. The views from the villas or the pool deck are wonderful. Sitting out on the verandah of our villa, having a drink and watching the sunset was idyllic. The villas themselves are lovely and the setting on the hillside amongst the trees is magical. We stayed in the family villa which was very spacious and well equipped. Chloe, the manager, is simply amazing....very friendly and helpful with an intimate knowledge of everything the island has to offer. The use of a mobile phone to ring for take away or to contact Mr/Mrs Sut to come and pick us up from wherever we happened to wash up was invaluable. As we were carting our diving gear most days we only walked into the village a couple of times and while the hill is steep it's not too bad. The main downside is that you arrive at a coffee shop or restaurant a bit hot and sweaty. However, the peace and serenity of The Rocks was welcome after a wild but enjoyable course completion party at Davy Jones Locker. We would go back anytime!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had a brilliant time here. After a complementary pick up from pier and a short drive we met Janine the owner. She is lovely and showed is round our gorgeous villa- number 3. Nice bathroom, air conditioned room, spacious living room and lovely balcony with hammock and amazing views into jungle and sea. They provide you with a local mobile and loads of info about area and things to do. Chloe the general manager took cafe of us and she is really sweet. She brought us a delicious breakfast every morning and was also on hand for any advice .Really lovely infinity pool below and we never saw anyone else round it so it was our own for our stay! The Rocks is In a brilliant location only a short walk to Sairee beach which is lovely and the town, loads of shops, bars, restaurants. Being a couple in our mid 20s it was perfect- close to all the action to have fun but a gorgeous hideaway spot which was v quiet and v romantic. Would definitely return!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple