“Beautiful spot on a beautiful island”
Review of The Rocks Villas

The Rocks Villas
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed for 12 days in the family villa with our 2 teenage daughters. Having read a few negative comments before we went I was a bit concerned as to what we would find. It is fair to say that some of the décor is a little dated compared to some "luxury" places we have stayed - apparently there a plans for an update. This however is completely irrelevant as The Rocks sit in one of the best spots on the island with amazing views out to see and beautiful sunsets. The taxi service and restaurant deliveries are brilliant if like us you sometimes just want to spend an evening relaxing at the villa. The food costs are very good value and the service is quick. There have also been comments with regards the cost. The Villas are a bit pricey but you do get what you pay for and having Chloe and Janine on hand for help and advice is definitely worth the extra cost. Their advice as to beaches and restaurants was always spot on. This kind of info ensure that you can make the best use of your time on the island. We felt totally spoilt and even had our mountain of cases carried up the multitude of steps to our villa for us. Walk down to the beach no problem -definitely worth paying the £4 taxi to get back up though!

Room Tip: All villas have stunning views!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tarnswhite
There are newer reviews for The Rocks Villas

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed her for 3 nights. The villa is lovely and had everything you could need. There is a lovely pool and sun loungers. The views are beautiful and you feel like your away from the busy streets. It's only a 10 minute walk to the beach but up a very, very steep hill!!
We were looked after by Chloe and she was brilliant. Very friendly and gave us great advice on restaurants to eat at and beaches to visit. This was a massive help as we only had a few days there. On the last day we got a lift to the pier and my husband realised he'd forgotten the iPad! They went and got it for us and drive it down to us. We loved koh tao and definitely want to go back.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Cheshirekp
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The Rocks is a fabulous place to stay if you want to be near Sairee Beach but have a hillside hideaway to retreat to.
My wife and I stayed for 5 days in March. Before we booked I had seen the fabulous reviews but also took the time to check out the website and even called Janine. The Rocks presents itself to be exactly what it says on the tin. Some recent reviews refer to lack of facilities, etc - but that is not our experience. Yes - there is a steep walk up the hill and yes there is no pool bar or snack bar - but if you want those you are booking the wrong place! Wifi was never an issue.
You're on a hillside in beautiful Koh Tao, overlooking the sea in your own private villa, for less than the cost of a B&B in the UK.
Janine was really helpful, the villas were kept spotless and the infinity pool - not massive - but who cares when you are the only ones around the pool?!
Would recommend staying at the Rocks - especially having seen the rest of the accomodations near Sairee Beach - it knocks spots of all the rest.

3  Thank DaveBishBishop
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is my second stay at the Rocks and it is such a good place I don't think it will be my last. It is such a lovely location with amazing views over the bay and really quiet at night. The owners are so nice and will cater to any requests, and the staff have looked after me so well. Worth every penny!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My girlfriend and I spent 3 nights here and thoroughly enjoyed it. The views are spectacular, the location is secluded and quiet and the villas are spacious and roomy. Don't let the hill put you off, rent a little scooter immediately - they're very cheap (one with 'guts' as Janine would say!) and then enjoy what the place has to offer. The pool is a wonderful place to pass a few hours and it's only a short stroll down to the beach. What made this place for me was the care and attention from Janine - she's the owner (Swiss French (or German!) but sounds English!). She helped us with absolutely everything and gave us a mobile phone for 3 days through which we ordered breakfast, arranged taxis, booked boat trips, restaurants and diving! She did everthing everything for us! I think my favourite part was breakfast, Janine would arrange the breakfast each day to be served on our balcony - beautiful views and beautiful fresh fruit.

The only negative I have is about Koh Tao and not the resort. The locals need to start learning more from Westerners, clean up the streets, stop burning fires everywhere and be more aware and respectful of your environment. Your economy relies on tourism - personally the constant lingering smoke in the air would put me off returning to the Island... but not the resort!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Spent 2 nights in the family villa to 'chill out' after a wedding on Samui. Two couples.

A group of us headed to Koh Tao after a wedding on Koh Samui.

A single friend stay at Asia Resort for THB1500 a night.
A couple stay at Sairee Sairee hotel for THB1500 a night.
Another couple stayed at Jamakhiri for THB6000 a night.
We stay at the 'Rocks Luxury Villas' for THB9900 a night.

Booking - Booking was a breeze and Janine (the owner) was very quick to respond to any emails that i sent. A deposit of half a nights stay was required to block the villa.

Arrival - Pick up - We arrived onto Koh Tao as a group of 9 people and we were all staying at different locations. The first 5mins of getting off the ferry are manic as there is a mad rush of people linking up with hotel reps to get to the hotels. The ferries have a capacity of 450pax and this ferry was full. All of our friends were picked up immediately from their hotel reps. Then it would seem that all others on the ferry were collected in good time too. We were the last people on the pier. Our pick up didnt arrive for another 20mins. This was very disappointing. This was highlighted to Janine upon arrival and she was apologetic and mentioned that traffic can be quite bad at that time. Unacceptable, how did all other people manage to get picked up ok? The car park was empty for 20mins before our pick up arrived.

Luggage - No porter to take our luggage to the villa. Janine mentioned something about letting the porter go recently. This was quite a strenuous climb from the parking area to the villa. We were left to carry our own luggage. Some of the cleaning ladies helped but this was not ideal as this is not their job!

Checking in- Janine asked for money from us directly once we were in the villa and had our 'welcome drink'. She forgot if I paid deposit or paid in full and then asked me how much outstanding was remaining, this seemed very unprofessional. However, the briefing was very informative and the ‘free’ phone and wifi dongle came in very handy.

The Villa – ‘Luxury’ seems to be a little overstated in this example. The fixtures and furnishing are very basic. The air-conditioning was limited to the bedrooms only, leaving the living/dining room too warm to use at any point during our stay. The bathroom was stuffy and had a constant damp smell inside, the shower unit was falling apart and the shower head fell off while using it at one point. No extractor fan in the bathroom.

Facilities – If you think you are going to get poolside service, look elsewhere. You must bring your own water, beers etc down to the pool. The infinity pool was great as we were the only people using it during our stay.

Breakfast – There is no restaurant or café in the premises or nearby. Janine will take your order for breakfast, order it from a place in town, and then serve it to you on your balcony. The breakfast we were served was good.

Check out – This was swift and easy and payment for our mini bar bill was made with no issues. I highlighted to Janine the issues with our stay and she asked if there was anything she could do to compensate our bad experience. I asked her to email me with some ideas, I am still waiting to hear from her. Perhaps this feedback will help…

Summary – I have stayed in Koh Tao before in Sensi Paradise. Building on from my last experience on the island, I wanted to treat my girlfriend and my friends to something really special this time around. The ‘Rocks luxury villas’ looked great on the internet and I was looking forward to a fantastic experience. I was left very disappointed and ripped off. Save yourself the money and hassle and stay somewhere else.

9  Thank IainQatar
JanineTheRocks, Owner at The Rocks Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Hello,

First of all I have to say that I am very sorry that you were disappointed in us, all I want is to make our guests happy! The last thing I want to do is to mislead people by our website. This would make our job harder and people’s expectations unrealistic.

In your review you mention this:

A single friend stay at Asia Resort for THB1500 a night.
A couple stay at Sairee Sairee hotel for THB1500 a night.
Another couple stayed at Jamakhiri for THB6000 a night.
We stay at the 'Rocks Luxury Villas' for THB9900 a night.

Firstly as I am sure you are aware Asia Resort and Sairee Sairee are budget accommodation and their prices reflect that. Jamakhiri is a lovely resort and you mention their price of THB6000, and our price of THB9900 per night. I would like to clarify that one couple stayed at Jamakhiri for that price where as at The Rocks you were two couples staying for that rate. We find our prices to be competitive on the island.

To address the negative points you made:

Arrival - I cannot apologise enough for you to have to wait for our driver for such a long time, he is usually very punctual and reliable. The car park is never empty at our pier it is always heavily congested. They will be redesigning it this year.

Luggage - Even if we don’t have a porter on site at the moment we help our guests with their luggage, it’s not true that you were not left to carry it completely on your own. Me and the girls are happy to carry your luggage up to your villa, sorry you felt otherwise. We are replacing our male member of staff at present.

Checking in - I left my phone with all my notes and calendar down at the office, sorry about that. I simply asked you what was the outstanding balance of your stay, this was not meant to be unprofessional, but rather to save time.

The Villa - We clearly state on our website that there is air-conditioning in the bedrooms only. April is the hottest month in Koh Tao and I am sorry the multiple fans and large sliding door did not make it more comfortable for you in our sitting room. Sorry you experienced problems with your shower, I wish you would have mentioned it to me when I asked you if everything was alright every morning. I had a look at the unit after I read your review, it seems to be fine now.
We are currently planning to redecorate and update our villas by adding new facilities and furniture.

Facilities - I’m not sure what gave you the impression that we have poolside service. If things like that are important to you I would recommend to enquire to the resort you are staying at in advance in future as most small boutique villas will not offer poolside service.

We are particularly concerned that you tried to treat your girlfriend and friend to a special experience on Koh Tao. After reading your review it is clear that The Rocks did not live up to your expectations and we are very sorry about that. We pride ourselves on our location and privacy. We do not wish to provide poolside service, and with only three villas our own restaurant is not feasible. However many restaurants deliver to your door and we are available at any time to assist you with any requirements.

We greatly appreciate your feedback but it hasn’t helped us to compensate you for not reading our website fully. We are sorry your guests were not impressed with your choice. We apologise again for your pick up being late and your shower not working properly.

Even though I find your star ratings a bit unfair, I am glad to have this review on here. We are the original boutique villa resort on Koh Tao and pride ourselves in our location and personal service. Please read our website thoroughly before booking and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time with any questions. We are small enough to offer true care about you as an individual, we do anything to make your enjoy stay as enjoyable as possible.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

8 days in a family villa was just lovely. Spacious, clean, comfy bed, decent shower and beautiful views. Waking up, walking into the living area and seeing the view day after day is a real treat. The level of service is ideal - personal but not intrusive - Chloe was great and all of her recommendations were sumptuous and the mobile phone is so helpful.

Yes the hill is steep - but Kho Tao is hilly. Hiring a motor bike from the place chloe recommended meant we didn't walk the hill too often (get a bike not a moped as you will need the power) other than that there are taxis if you's prefer not to get the exercise! If I return to Kho Tao there is no doubt it'll be to the Rocks.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank CJ220975
JanineTheRocks, Owner at The Rocks Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Thank you very much!