“Had to laugh to not spoil the holiday...”

Seashell Resort Koh Tao
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 8 January 2013

We usually stay at the Simple Life Resort but fancied a change so selected the Seashell as the reviews were mixed but the resort facilities looked nice.

We booked a poolside villa through Agoda and arrived to be taken to a room which wasn't beside the pool. We mentioned this to reception who checked the booking and said it's the right room. I called Agoda (long distance) and explained to them that the "poolside" villa is not beside the pool but that there is another villa in front of it so you cannot even see the pool let alone claim that the accommodation is beside it.

As amusing as this was, the property's owner came to talk with us and she told us that the poolside villas are just a name and that they are near the pool but not necessarily beside the pool...we had to laugh or else it would have spoilt the start of the holiday.

The poolside villa in the pic looks like a very cute modern built stand alone building. In our rush to book the trip we didn't realise that in fact each building is actually two separate rooms so we had a shared balcony / entrance with the room next door. This was our own mistake for not checking. A little disappointing at the lack of privacy but not the end of the world.

The pool at the SeaShell is a decent size, looks clean but as mentioned by others, it is very often busy and in use by the dive school.

The breakfast is in the cafe restaurant on the beachside. amazing views as you wait for your breakfast but the choice of breakkie is limited and on the meagre side. You get one OJ and one coffee with the breakkie. Additional drinks are charged.

As we were staying with SeaShell, our friends wanted to do their OpenWater so they arranged this through the sea shell dive shop opposite the restaurant. Our fun dives were well run but our friends were charged 9000 Baht each for their Open Water when it was agreed at 6000 per person. As I was present during the price discussions I asked the Geordie sales guy what was going on as we had agreed 6000 for the OW students. He apologised and disappeared inside to the office,spoke to his colleagues came back and said "they don't have their own gear so it's 3000 Baht for equipment rental...the 6000 was agreed for the course only"

The owner was called again and looked equally as unamused to see me again. the situation was explained. She then said "ok what is the problem? You agree to 6000 for open water but have to pay for bcd and equipment". I'd obviously bored her as she walked off mid conversation which even left the dive office staff shocked.

Later that evening we bumped into Khun Oh who is the Manager at Simple Life Resort. After the warm hellos he asked where we were staying and all was explained including the debacle with the OW course fees. His response was "they do this many time and not good for Koh Tao".

The following day, after a day's diving we returned to the dive shop (reluctantly had to use SeaShell as we had prepaid a few fun dives) and we saw Khun Oh there with the lady owner of SeaShell. The final outcome was that the guys doing their openwater were refunded 3000 Baht each. We don't know what was said or done but we accepted the refund gladly.

This isn't a warning not to stay at Sea Shell as many others have had an enjoyable stay. It is simply an accurate account of our experience. We have now made 6 trips to Koh Tao and continue to return but would not stay at sea shell again.

Room Tip: if you want a poolside room which is actually beside the pool and dont want a shared terrace / balco...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Underwatered

Reviewed 7 January 2013

We booked to stay at Seashell, as we had heard great things about it. We booked online through their website, however when we arrived we were told we didn't email back a re-confimation thus regardless that we gave them our credit card details and we had a booking ID number they didn't have a room for us. While a confirmation is a simple task, when we payed and automatically recieved the confirmation number it didn't say to check you emails, to re-confirm. As a traveller wifi access isn't always avaliable and we didn't get time to check the email post making the booking. Despite this we arrived and they were really rude. It was about 8:30 at night and they wouldn't even call a neighbouring hotel to see if they had spare rooms availabe, let a lone tell us the name of the closest hotel. They didn't care at all that we had no room, it was really out of character in comparison to other places we've stayed in, as we are young single females. It surprised us they could be so careless!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank caitlin c
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We stayed at Seashell resort in November 2012. We were slightly concerned having read some mixed reviews on here, but in the end it only made our stay all the better. Had a lovely clean a/c room, great location right by the beach, great dive school and friendly staff. I think this place is excellent, especially for the price. Only criticism is the breakfast was poor, but then that's not the end of the world. Highly recommended

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dan W
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I honestly can't imagine why this is not rated #1 on Koh Tao!
The staff are very friendly, there is a wide range of rooms to choose from, the rooms are beautiful, they have 2 gorgeous pools and free wifi in reception and at the restaurant.
I was only going to stay for one night and ended up staying for three!
Sea shell is in a great location - right on the beach and close to some really good restaurants.
It is a little more pricy than some of the other resorts but you definitely get what you pay for!
I loved it!

Room Tip: Tell reception what you are looking for and ask to see the rooms. The ones on the beach are the best...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2012

What could be a better place to enjoy the sun and the sea and what koh tao has to offer, i spent several nights here in a deluxe room and had enjoyed it so much that i went back the following week for longer.
The staff both at reception and in the spa are great and the cleaning was done efficiently and always fresh linen, which we all love in a room. There is access to 2 pools and more importantly close to sairee village for great food and nights out. Cant wait to return and i know it wont be my last visit.

Room Tip: deluxe rooms are teh way to go, or even upgrade to one with pool access
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2012 via mobile

I should split this review in 2. 1st for the resort itself & accommodation - I stayed in a fan bungalow at the back
Of the resort, across the road actually where a lot of construction work was underway. It was rather dark to walk back there I'm an evening. Given the location there were LOTS of Mosquitos and I would have expected a mosquito net especially as the velux window was broken allowing entry of Mosquitos and geckos all day/night. The bungalow was a little dirty and a little
Overpriced in my opinion 550baht, discounted as I took the PADI course with them. The resort is a little Run down in areas, the pool Is ok as is the restaurant. Beachside is a bonus.
2nd the dive course/shop - good at responding to emails, though given I had never dived before I feel as the professionals maybe they should have advised me to try the taster 1st. Only
My opinion but I feel the 4 days (actually 3 really as days 1 and 4 are half days) is a short time to learn the equipment use, feel
Comfortable, have. Lass room lessons etc is very rushed but this may be PADI standard? As the course was so short as I was a little uneasy/nervous/anxious there was little time to spend with me to increase My confidence level. I quit the course early but sadly was not offered any form of refund. I would recommend both the resort and dive shop but either be prepared to pay the extra for better accommodation, take the basic accommodation and if you are a true beginner to snorkelling/diving take the taster day 1st!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 18 October 2012

It's hard to rate seashells because it's 2 completely different things, the resort and the dive center.
The resort is pretty plain, nice pool area, the restaurant has a good grill but there was a snake in our bungalow the first and that kinda scared me half to death, they were great and changed our room in spite of being packed because of the Full Moon Party.
The dive center was amazing, Jeff runs a great place and the divemasters are really great. I did my Advanced and my friend his Open and we both had an amazing experience. I recommend the morning dives, yes it's early but it's so much quieter, it's worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple