“Good but has some bad points!”

Seashell Resort Koh Tao
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Have just returned from Thailand and spent 6 nights at Seashells Resort. We pre-booked via booking.com because we wanted a guaranteed beach front view room.
On our arrival which was about 11.30am we were told check in was 2.00 o/ck as guest had not checked out of our room yet, even though check out is 11.00am. So we were told to leave our bags amongst lots of others in reception and come back later. I found the staff to be rude and not really interested in what I was saying. As my husband was feeling unwell we went and sat in the shade by the beach view rooms to wait. Looking across to the beach view rooms we saw no movement of any guests leaving or any sign of any cleaners. After an hour of waiting and my husband still not feeling very well I went back to reception to explain and to see if our room was ready, at which time the receptionist said reluctenately ok your room is ready, I was pleased but slightly miffed as we had seen no movement at all while waiting for our room. On arrival to our room our key card didn't work, I went back to reception and got greeted with more attitude and rudeness. Eventually we got into our room which I'm sure was ready when we arrived at 11.30!!
Anyway the room was of a good size, clean, 2 single beds pushed together (even though we booked a double), a bit dark as not many internal lights, but generally ok. It had a fridge / mini bar, free tea & coffee with free water, but no wardrobe or draws to put any clothes. The bathroom however had a hanging area to put your clothes? The room safe was also located in the bathroom? Wifi was very frustrating, either not working or very slow. We had an upstairs room so we had a balcony, which was ok.
The pool below our room was lovely which overlooks the sea and had a few fixed sun beds, pool towels were available from reception.

Location is good about a 10 minute taxi ride from the ferry and a 5 minute walk into Sairee
town, where you can find numerous restaurants, shops etc.
Breakfast was offered in our room rate, though I wouldn't say it's the best, poor quality, not overly hot, limited tables, and a few stray cats & dogs walking around, which the staff just did nothing about.

Overall an ok hotel but the staff really need to improve their attitude and the way they speak to guests.

Room Tip: Bech front rooms seem more modern than the back villas.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 August 2013

After reading a lot of reports on trip advisor we we a bit skeptical going to this Resort.
Well after spending 3 days there we loved the place. We stayed in the Beach front rooms with swim up pool.
As the saying goes you only get what you pay for, if you stay in budget rooms they are budget where ever you go.
To often I see people complaining where they have Champagne tastes on a beer budget.
The good points{ Rooms Good size and clean, great beds and linen, great location and good beach area.
Things that could be improved front desk check needs more staff and staff to welcome you and smile.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

When we booked the room we were assured that we could check in around 11am as our ferry arrived around 9.30 after a long, exhausting overnight trip from Bangkok. However when we arrived we were rather rudely told that check in time was 2pm and that we had to wait until then, despite plenty of people having already checked out to catch the morning ferry. We then walked around and found another hotel that was free where could get the room immediately. I therefore canceled my booking seashell. After a long discussion they insisted on keeping a 30% cancelation fee. By that point, I didn't care as I just wanted to leave. During the whole discuion the reception staff insulted us in Thai, which I understood quite well after having lived in Thailand for 5 years. My request to speak to the manager on duty got rudely turned down. After all this time in Thailand this was the first time I encountered such a shocking behavior in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

I did not sleep here but stopped here for a quick beer after beach time.
I must have been there tops a couple of hours and when I left bar/restaurant I couldn't find my flipflops.
At first I thought I might have misplaced them but, no. Some cheap person had pinched them (real havaianas). it amazes me how someone is willing to pay a fortune to come down here and then has to resort to theft!
Anyway out comes the manager, Liu ( not sure about spelling) and says she doesn't know if they are the real ones she has not seen them. A poor excuse for a manager who tells me to pick some other shoes, I ask and what about the other person? And she just goes pick the ones which are similar to yours. It is dark and my hostel is far away and i'm not going bare feet. She promises she'll check up security camera and that's it. I ask for her contact info which she refuses to give.
I pop back next day and she is clueless as to who I am. Shoes have not appeared noone complainned about loosing shoes and as far as she is concerned everything is ok.
I clarify everything is not okay and I wish to issue a complaint arguing that it is there policy to take shoes off and they should be held accountable for their loss. She says there's no complaint form, noone above her and nothing I can do. At this point I loose my.temper her English keeps getting selectively worse and she only understands bits of.the.conversation, all pretence! I let her have a piece of my mind and let her know that i'm disgusted with the fact she hadnt offered to.buy me new shoes(the cheap imitation) but encouraged me to.steal someone elses shoes). That I did not believe her, how do you get away without a complaint form. She then said she would give me a 100b for new shoes and to leave shoes behind. I said I didn't know how much were the shoes and.she said she would.only.give me 100. I terminated discussion here and told.her I'd.post review on trip advisor, here it is. As I say I only stopped here for a drink but the lack of decency of manager puts me off from recommending it. Plus there starting price is 65 dollars and she.couldn't even.afford to.give me 200b for q pair of.shoes?

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed here for five nights at the end of our trip. Seashells resort looked lovely from the outset - a big swimming pool, a nicely decorated reception area and an adjoining restaurant facility overlooking Sairee beach. Unfortunately, Seashells resort did not live up to expectations. The air conditioning in the room was the first to go - and despite a few trips to reception to try to rectify the matter it still never worked fully to keep the room at a cool temperature, next the lamp broke, the door handle and the remote for the television. The beds looked nice however the sheets were not changed once in the six days we spent here and there was an overall damp feel to the room. Another problem we had was our key cards stopped working on a daily basis - we had to queue up at reception to reset them every few hours. This is not a problem you should have while staying in a holiday resort. At the end of our stay we were told the charge would be an extra 100 baht per person to check out later than 11 o' clock. When we got to reception to pay, the manager insisted that we pay 1000 baht for staying until 1 o' clock. She was rude and hostile towards us, threatening to keep our passports if we didn't hand over the money straight away. Koh tao is such a beautiful island - I am 100 % sure you will find somewhere nicer to stay on the island for the same price and with nicer hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed here with some friends for 5 nights, and booked the pool side rooms. The rooms were spacious, bathroom nicely cleaned, and the interior created a comfortable atmosphere. The only thing negative about the room was that we could hear the neighbours (the room just next to us) very loud and clear! We litterally could hear every word of their conversations. Luckily they were our travel mates, but this could have been really uncomfortable if they were people we didn't know...

The breakfast buffet was included in the price and it was delicious! There were everything you could want for breakfast, and it was clean. The only thing we missed were some fresh juice, not the lemonade with a lot of sugar in it!

The pool area was great! Nice and clean, and quiet. The whole resort was all in all very nice! But this is Thailand-standard, of course. This hotel would never have gotten 5 stars anywhere in Europe. Everything is a bit more dirty and smelly in Thailand. But with breakfast included in the price, and the good standards of the room made the stay very nice!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mari E
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Spent there 4 nights. I selected it just because it was next to the diving center. Good value for money, great location but that's it. Staff are not very helpful, fan bungalow (we took the basic one) was very very basic, clean but needs some maintenance. You can hear the music from the bars at Sairee beach. Overall, i am sure you can find better in koh tao.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple