“Nice place but they over charged us - not sure if it was on purpose?!”

Seashell Resort Koh Tao
Ranked #41 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
London, United Kingdom
“Nice place but they over charged us - not sure if it was on purpose?!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We prepaid for one room for one night before we arrived as that's all we could get and then downgraded to another cheaper room for the following 2 nights. When we then paid for the 2 nights and paid in Thai Bhat and checked our balances in the UK they had charged us the same price of the first nights room!! So what we thought would save us money actually cost us the same and we had to move rooms. Not that impressed really. Make sure you do your maths correctly.

Room Tip: Go for the standard rooms, they're good value and quiet, away from the beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Firstly our diving was a great experience, Beth is a fantastic instructor & our dives were thoroughly enjoyable, we felt in safe hands & felt great achievement in completing our open water. The video filmed by Marine was also great, far superior to any other dive schools videos we saw.

Paul really spoiled our experience of the dive school. Firstly he forgot to arrange our pick up. He claimed he'd sent someone, but upon arrival at the port we asked all the drivers present & they said no no, no one from seashells here! The power had gone down at the same time, it's obvious he forgot. We later heard he was standing in as manager, perhaps too much to handle.
When we were registering with him he wasn't apologetic, it was our mistake seemingly. He also was just totally uninteresting, no chit chat - where are you from, how did you find out about us, where are you travelling... My boyfriend&I spoke about it afterwards & we'd both thought the same, very unfriendly.
It was topped off that night when we were walking past the dive school with our friends, also signed up to diving, we were discussing a restaurant we'd heard about it. Seeing Paul sat in the dive office we knocked on the window to see if he could offer a quick opinion. Firstly he ignored us. Second a response 'well I find it strange you'd ask a dive school for a restaurant recommendation. I personally don't eat at restaurants I only eat at cheap places' OH RIGHT! Sorry we thought you were working in a customer facing environment, the tourist industry & also that you might be human? Humiliated in front of 4 ppl for just asking a quick question. We were left gobsmacked & with a bad feeling after that incident.
When we began our diving training Paul also hadn't bothered to order any air..Great!
Upon collecting our video on USB, said to my boyfriend 'ugh you're not very good with computers are you' Errr cheers!

Finally the rooms were pretty poor. We 'upgraded' from the far away rooms to the bungalows in the garden, still pretty far away! Had to change room upon arrival, room 6 doesn't lock! I've seen this mentioned in a previous review also.. Moved to room 7. It wasn't really cleaned, dirty sink etc. We stayed 5 nights, it was cleaned ONCE & that was only when I asked. Considering you don't flush toilet paper in Thailand it's a bit disgusting for 3 days not emptying the bin. It felt like we were shoved in the forgotten rooms of a fancy resort & not important. Had the biggest cockroach I've ever seen crawl across my face in the middle of the night! Didn't sleep too well after that..
Reception staff weren't friendly, generally talking laughing amongst themselves, you're an inconvenience. I wanted a water at 10.30pm, the fridge was locked at this time, no more sales & directed to the nearest shop. Bad business sense?!

Overall, do diving with seashells dive school, the instructors were all so nice & good atmosphere.
Stay elsewhere if you can!

• Stayed March 2014
St. Paul's Bay, Malta
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I have got the bungalow of Seashell Resort Koh Tao. First of all, in the internet it is written that wi-fi is provided everywhere, however, only reception area had it. I have had also problems finding it - I have booke the bungalow of Seashell Coconut Village, but did not expect that Seashell Resort is the owner so I was trying to find the different hotel.
The bungalow was without hot water, no condition but with fan. The bungalow was not prepared for coming - the lamp was broken (of course, they fixed after 5 minutes), shelves in the bathroom were broken too. Of course, I could not expect something special for that price but they could take care more of the rooms to look them tidy and clean..

Fortunately, breakfast was awesome - buffet with a lot various thai and european food which looked even more lunch than brekfast - eggs, noodles, rices, pancakes, fruits, jam, bacon, coffee, tea etc.. I have enjoyed of it.

Also, the staff was nice and could not complain of it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2014

First of all, this hotel has a nice location on a beautiful stretch of beach. The breakfast buffet is also good with a nice view from the restaurant. However, the rooms, ground{s can use an update when you are paying what you are for this hotel. Room service does a fast job of cleaning them. I also had no hot water my whole stay!!. I told the front desk, but this made no difference. Make sure you get a room away from the road or you will not sleep!!. I had to go buy ear plugs to sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room well away from the road, or you will not sleep
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel is aesthetically pleasing, the rooms large and has two pools, one of which is particularly quiet and on the beach however there are many areas which the hotel could improve on. The buffet breakfast is lacking, though if you miss breakfast (stops at 10am) you can get a voucher for a set breakfast. We did this one day and after 50 minutes (being the only people ordering food) and enquiring twice as to when the food would arrive, it became apparent it was not going to so we left and paid for a breakfast elsewhere. When we mentioned this to the reception, they didn't seem to care less. Like l said, the rooms are large and you can have them made up each day, but this seems to be nothing more than they pull the sheets up and straighten the pillows (and not even all of them, they left some on the chair as though they couldn't be bothered). They provide toiletries but they are not a brand, just clear bottles with a typed label sellotaped on the front. The towels are thin and cheap but you do get fresh ones to take to the pool every day. For £50 a night, you can't complain (if you did, I don't think they'd care anyway) but its a shame they let themselves down on these little points as they could be so much better.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Before I start, I need to specify that I had a great experience at the seashell diving center. Here i'm commenting about the resort...
We had an awfull stay there.
There's clearly a huge gap between the frontdesk area which is a beautiful space, the great garden and pool area, and the bungallow.
Don't be fooled by the first impression.
We had the bungallow N°6. It was more like a closet : no space, no closet or decent table to put our bags and clothes. We had to put all our stuf on the bed and when sleeping, all our stuff on the floor.
One broken window, no AC, but fan which didn't really work (it didn't rotate so we had to sleep where the fresh air was distributed) the roof is made of steel so it was too hot to stay inside. It was full of moskitos...
No safety box, no TV, no telephone if you need to call the desk you have to go, though I m not sure they want you to call : when we complained about the doorlocker which was so hard that it took minutes to lock our door, they sent us a boy who was just sorry for us. No one came to fix it in five days....So we used our own lock.
The bathroom was large, but no hot water. The ceiling was broken and had mould.
At check-in they kept my passeport for all the stay which is the first time I experience such a thing (and I work in hotel ! )
You don't keep people passeport ! and what if i had to show it to a change office or to police ? Why did they keep my passeport ?
Also we had trouble when going to the hotel restaurant : the price of the veggie breakfast was 150 bath. they asked us to ask for a coupon prooving we were guest of the hôtel (which I understood) but at the fornt desk the price increased + 40 bath: now the veggie breakfast was 190 but still written 150 on the menue ! The rude receptionnist couldn't give a rationnal explaination and kept on saying "it's up to you". Last but not least, at the end of our stay we decided to try another hotel, but they tried to charge us for the comming night even leaving way before check-out time and it was our officlal last night on our reservation so it was not even a late cancellation case.
Still no rationnal explaination was given : they just tried ! Once again I state that the diving center is really great, but i suggest to sleep somewhere else especially if you need concentration for your diving experience...The road and all the night clubs behind the resort are extremely noisy at night...

Room Tip: Go for the diving center which is a very good one and sleep somewhere else....
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neverletuforget
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for six nights during Chinese New Year.
I found the surroundings were very pretty and clean, and well maintained with staff everywhere. When I booked the hotel the price was really low, and when I arrived I realized why!! I was actually at the back of the resort, up a hill in a hut....to be honest for £20 per night including breakfast I was still happy. The swimming pool is lovely and it's fun to watch the PADI training during the day. I would recommend the hotel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo