“Oh My WOW! Great place, GREAT Host!!”
Review of Koh Tao Star Villa

Koh Tao Star Villa
Pakistan
“Oh My WOW! Great place, GREAT Host!!”
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Enter Koh Tao. A day after I arrived, having spent the night in a ridiculously over priced, fairly substandard hotel I was on the lookout for something good, regardless of price.

I was lucky to have made some friends who pointed me towards Koh Tao Star Villas and their fantastic owner/host Alan, after hearing much grumbling over my hotel rooms. Without expecting much, I made the crazy fun bike ride up to the villas (for the faint hearted, the ever helpful Alan will be more than happy to drive you up!)

I was taken aback. The villas were really quite fantastic. Squeaky clean (Alan is obsessive about keeping the place clean!!), airy, GOOD aircon, excellent bathroom, flat screen tv, surround sound, the WORKS! What more could one ask for. That too at a very decent price. The place was absolutely stunning with a great view through to the ocean.

I booked the villas immediately without a second thought and am very glad I did so as the residence was an integral part of this memorable trip. Every evening after diving one would settle down on the lovely terrace with a beer and Alan was always there to give great company and advise for where to eat, what to do etc...

All in all I would HIGHLY recommend anyone visiting the Island to try and book here. The 'apartments' are beautiful and eco friendly. Having stayed in many of the top hotels in the world, I could seriously say that Star Villas is right up there with them in term of quality, service etc.

The beautiful views, great living space and truly fantastic host made my stay perfect, and this particular residence is one of the big reasons pulling me back to Koh Tao.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank buzzy915

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Finnish first
Bamberg
Reviewed 28 August 2009

I was there in June/July for three weeks finding the details via facebook. I have tried multiple places during the past five years but this one has been the best so far. What I looked for was a nice apartment in a quiet atmosphere without the hotel flair that offers the same (higher) service. And that is what I found. As can be seen on their website, the apartment is spacious with one living room and a kitchen corner with fridge and gas oven. From my perspective it was very convenient that the owners, Alan and Heidi, always made sure that the fridge was stocked with cold drinks, so enough supply of water, cola and several beer types. In the living room you have a nice flatscreen with cable TV (UBC), so plenty of channels. With my laptop I could also connect to the inhouse database to access several movies (and music) and watch it on the TV via HDMI, which worked just fine. There is also plenty of DVDs around to choose from, so entertainment is no problem. Air conditioning is in the bedroom only, which actually is a good idea. The living room has two large swing doors to the terrace. The house itself is located a little further up in the hills, so you always have a very nice breeze coming into the living room making AC basically redundant. Even when it was hot I only turned on the AC in the living room during the night before going to bed to cool down a little. During the night, the ceiling fan is totally sufficient. The bathroom has of course a proper western toilet and a hot water shower. And Alan and Heidi made sure everything get cleaned every day and looks nice and tidy.
Two things should be mentioned that stand out and won’t really be found anywhere else on the island. First, there is a nice pool table that can be used any time. Secondly, as mentioned before, the house is a little up the hill (so a motorcycle is highly recommended). From up there you have a view down to the shore which you cannot put a price tag on. You can look right out on the ocean and on Nang Yuan island with a little breeze while having a morning coffee or afternoon tea on the balcony. It does not get more relaxing than that. And, of course, there is Alan and Heidi, who do everything do make your stay more convenient and knowledgeable, because they also take you to nice food places and let you know what is going on (good and bad) on the island. When I get back I will certainly go back there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank stefan1675
Poole, Dorset, UK
Reviewed 7 August 2009

We stayed at Koh Tao Star Villa for just 10 days and wished we could have stayed there for ever. We really did not want to go home.

Star Villa is a small complex with just 3 apartments for rent. Our apartment was on the same floor with just one other and there was a penthouse above which the propriotors let us take a sneek look at and it was lovely. Wish we could have stayed there. Maybe next time.

Because it is a small place it was very peacful and a lot of the time we had the whole floor to ourselves and also because of this the staff had pleanty of time for us and looked after our every need and gave us all the help we needed to make our holiday memerable. From a phone to loan so that we could contact them at anytime and call for collection - to ordering takeaways for us and giving advise on places of interest on the island and indeed in other parts of Thailand.

They even take away your dirty washing and put it back in your apartment all nicely folded. What service.

Keep up the good work Star Villa and keep an apartment free for us next year. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wingnut_9
Poland
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Really lovely place. It was great to be there. Nice, clean, modern house. The Owners-Alan and Heidi- helpfull and friendly pepople.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 27 July 2009

very comfortable and luxurious place for the whole family. Friendly and helpful owners.
coming back next holiday.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Chineham, Hampshire
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Koh Tao Star Villa is a lovely place to stay. It is set on the side of a hill giving you great views of the countryside and sea with the Thailand mainland in the distance. There was nothing better than relaxing on the balcony with a drink at the end of the day. The owners Alan and Heidi were always there to look after us and even play a game of pool or darts. If we went back to Koh Tao we would definitely stay here again without any shadow of a doubt.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Voidhawk666
Umina Beach, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2009

We stayed at this villa with our toddler. We were able to self cater using its well stocked kitchen. It had a beautiful view over the ocean and caught cool breezes as it was elevated. The distance from the hustle and bustle suited us and it was very quiet. We hired a quad bike to get around which made for an adventurous holiday. The staff were very helpful, even offering to babysit one night! The trip was made better from their hospitality and we have fond memories of our stay.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family