“Overpriced with Poor Service”

Haadtien Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Overpriced with Poor Service”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Costly, hard to get too, and very poor service. For a hotel situated on the far side of the island I expected much better service for calling taxis and help with seetting up activities on the island. When we asked for help setting up SCUBA certification it was like we were asking for a flight to the moon. Eventially we were handed a cell phone to talk to a guy about it. This seems strange for me on an island that is more or less dedicated to SCUBA. The $40 breakfast for two was more than we spent on food for lunch and dinner on the other parts fo the island and was nothing special. It was also strange that althouh there were more servers than guests getting a cup of coffee was strangely difficult. We were also surprised with the rooms and views. Although very clean they are basically small shacks with partial views of the ocean which was frustrating for the cost of these places. Lastly ONLY STAY HERE if you like kids. At least 75% of the groups at the hotel had kids. Overall I would suggest staying almost anywhere else on the island.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Steve B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 27 December 2011

My wife and I were so impressed with the beach. Powdery sand and shade trees. Swim 50 meters from the beach and you're right where tour companies bring people to snorkel and dive. Being from Colorado, I was mesmerized! All sorts of fish and colorful coral. The conditions weren't even good I was told. I swam around the little bay for hours and felt safe (I'm terrified of the ocean). The hut we stayed in was super clean and comfortable. The food was good. Their Thai was better than their western foods. The staff was helpful and friendly. The resort is not that far from the town! They even provide you with free rides. I'd rather stay here than one of the resorts near the docks any day of the week. I read the other reviews and location seemed to be an issue, which I can understand. We only stayed for 2 nights and 3 days, so we were OK with not needing to go to town all the time. It depends why you would come here....swim and beach or sitting at ex-pat bars....This is an ideal resort for a family. Although the resort itself was more than adequate, the location is what made it so fresh.

Room Tip: ask for a unit that is not on a main walking path so you don't have people walking right past yo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denver_CoEdwink
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Turquoise blue waters nestled in lush greenery..sounds perfect? It is and thats where HaadTien scores. An amazing setting.A few chinks though

1) Mosquitoes. A lot of them. Everywhere. They do try to work around it but they are soooo annoying. There are mosquito nets in the rooms though.

2) Crap breakfast and the staff looks mighty upset in the mornings.

3) The rooms have no doors to the bathroom/toilet areas. Its a little awkward. There are only curtains.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mansi S
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We chose to visit Koh Tao because it is a small island (only 21sq km) and was rumoured to have amazing diving. We then chose Haad Tien because they had a special during our visit - and special it was!

We were in a Hideaway Villa that had ocean views. They are clean and comfortable rooms with their own balconies - the daily towel animals were just a lovely extra touch.

The restaurant is fabulous with a delicious breakfast. We only ate dinner on our last evening and went all out with the seafood bbq... an absolute must! The seafood was so fresh and beautifully prepared. We also spent a lot of time at the Beach Bar (especially during Happy Hour) and we were twice treated to a dusk visit from a couple of black-tipped reef sharks. A real highlight, especially if you can get out there in a kayak for a closer look.

If I had to pick something, it would be the diving. The coral on the private beach is not in great condition and the marine life is sparse. However, there are plenty of other beaches and tours on Koh Tao that more than make up for this. HOT TIP - Hire a scooter or motorbike on your first day.... it was indispensable.

I

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah_Jane075
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I stayed with my boyfriend in a hideaway hut for a week in September.

When we arrived the Check in was a shambles. A very unimpressive reception as they were disorganised forgot our room key and we were left on the balcony of our hut in the torrential rain waiting for someone to let us in! Luckily a cleaner let us in!

The resort and beach is beautiful, rooms are large and comfortable.

However some aspects to the resort were  disappointing. For example I tried to make a cup of tea that the kettle became too hot to touch to pour. Food was nice but far too expensive and better food and restaurants could be found around haad rin. They organised a thai cooking demonstration which was very nice, however after being told we would only pay for the food that we ate for lunch they charged us extra for the demonstration. The shuttle runs to town and back three times a day- ie it's not very convenient to get to the main restaurants shops and dive resorts when you want to. Taxis are expensive too and I wouldn't recommend hiring a scooter as the road up to haadtien is horrendous. But if you plan to spend your entire holiday in a secluded spot this is a perfect resort.

You can book dives and snorkelling tours from the hotel reception which are very fairly priced and you get collected and dropped back to the hotel at the end of the day.

Snorkelling from the beach is fun, although there isn't an abundance of coral there are lots of fish- I saw a barracuda!

Little snags like this prevented this hotel from getting an amazing review from me, however as the beach is beautiful and the resort is very tranquil I still rate it highly.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Jojotorres
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I am baffled by this place. The location is amazing, beautiful sea front cabin, we went for castaway as it is right on the beach ( there is a lot of construction going on so be warned especially near the hideaway villas) first impressions were great, the villa is well positioned and clean.But The service is poor even by western standards. The restaurant is expensive and I have my doubts about how qualified the chef is ( I'm in the restaurant business). The beach bar is nice and the food ok but it is overrun with flies( I notice an electronic fly zapper in reception for the staff but none at the bar for the customers) I don't blame the staff for the lack of customer service I blame the management, we were never made to feel that we were valued customers or that any more than the minimum was being done( breakfast is a prime example of this as it is basic to say the least) The management need to get a grip on this place before it becomes paradise lost. They should visit other resorts to see how it should be done. Very poor indeed.

• Stayed September 2011
4 Thank ian d
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This hotel is breathtaking. The beach bungalows are designed in a stunning fashion with a big balcony to chill in the evenings. The location is very convinient with a short ride from the pier. The hotel can organise all water activities with supreme convinience. The only thing which was sub par was the breakfast buffet but nothing that I would complain about. All in all it was a great stay

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends