“You won't want to leave”

Haadtien Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Seattle, Washington
“You won't want to leave”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We had been traveling for 3 weeks through Thailand and had just finished up with the full moon party. So we decided to spend sometime at a luxury resort to enjoy beautiful Koh Tao. We booked it on- line based on the reviews and the reviews did not let us down. Incredible rooms, service, private beach and epic snorkeling right out your front door. If you want to spend some great time on an incredible island and be pampered this is the place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank JDBenjamin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Beautiful Beach but the worst hotel experience I ever have had in my life! I would not go back even if you paid me!

It’s a long review, I am sorry but to make such a statement you have to bet there is a story!

We arrived at Haad Tien based on a request to my travel agent to send me to a beautiful beach resort which would mirror (for those in the UK) the old Bounty Chocolate bar adverts a taste of paradise. We had travelled around Cambodia the previous week so my husband and I were really looking forward to this part of the trip being a relaxed end to busy holiday and a bit of luxury.

Before booking Haad Tien I had really struggled to decide on where to visit in Thailand as we wanted to experience the beautiful beaches but not to commercialised busy tourist resorts such as those in Phuket or Koh Samui. My travel agent suggested Koh Tao and Haad Tien and after seeing the pictures on the website and reading about the Island I was in love! To say I was excited about this part of the holiday would be an understatement.

We travelled from Bangkok to Koh Tao and though it’s only a 2.5 hour catamaran ride to the Island please be warned the water can be choppy and it’s a really busy transfer so be prepared. (Only 2 transfers a day)

When arriving on the Island we were greeted by the hotels own staff for the transfer. They were ok but compared to most of the greetings we had received on the trip nothing special. We were ushered to a waiting vehicle with several other people and taken to the hotel. We had read reviews about the bumpy road leading up to the hotel and so were expecting it but I am still amazed the hotel have not addressed this issue and paved the road as it leads up to this and other resorts! Not the best start.

When we arrived at Reception we were greeted by one of the reception staff with the other guests. We then each were asked to complete a book in form. This was the beginning of our down hill experience with the hotel! I asked the lady who checked us in if there were any sea view rooms available as we had a garden view room booked. She smiled as if she understood and went away to what we thought check. We were wrong! She actually went on to book in another group and show them to their room and we were left just sitting there! After 10-15 mins I asked another member of staff to help us and was told there were other rooms but they cost a lot more. We said not to worry and that we would go to our room. The check in process was informal, unprofessional and really left us wondering where we had come. At this point it started to thunder and rain – boy did it come down! The

We waited for the rain to subside but it did not so said we would attempt to go to our room. We followed the hotels version of a bell boy to our room. Haad Tien is an unusual resort with individual bungalows set into the grounds. Those in the lower grounds look lovely and are quite easy to access, we walked past these and were taken to a room right at the back of the resort up a really steep rocky incline! It was a horrendous trek and the rain didn’t help and I fell as the path was rubbish! When we reached the room we literally dumped in the room not told anything about the facilities in the hotel or room etc and left to it!

This room was HORRIBLE! It was like being dumped in a damp and dark shed! It was really awful and I have to say I nearly cried as after a really long journey I was so tired, hungry as we had not eaten since b/fast at 7.30am and it was now 16.30 and we were left in this dark shed like room in what did not even feel part of the resort as it was so far at the back! I called reception to explain that this was not what I had expected when I had booked and asked to speak to the manager to see if we could change rooms. To my horror this was when I was told I had already been upgraded! After a lengthy exchange they said the manager was not on site and they best they could do is offer me the original room we had booked. I said that it could be no worse that what were in so agreed to go and check the room.

We went to reception (should say trekked there) and we were then taken to a room right next to the restaurant in what I believe is the new build section of the hotel. The room was absolutely tiny – I cant even imagine where my luggage would go! This room was meant to be a garden view but it was actually a view of the toilets behind the restaurant! Lucky us!!

I explained to the lady I knew it was not her fault but when booking a 4* hotel this is not at all what I had expected and I said there had to be something they could do as none of these rooms were suitable. I have to say she probably thought I was crazy as after when I saw the state of the staff quarters she was probably thinking I was being very ostentatious. However by western standards the rooms I was being shown were equivalent to Travel Lodge rooms!

I then had to ask if there was no way I could speak to the manager, and was taken back to reception. Here the lady called the manager and proceeded to speak to him without letting me talk to him. He was supposedly travelling back to the island from the main land. After a lengthy conversation she explained the best she could do was offer me one other option but it would mean an extra charge to us of 500 bhatt per night (£10). I said I was not happy to pay more but if this is all the could offer at this time (it was now very late afternoon) I would check the room and then speak to the manager about the cost when he arrived the next day.

They then showed us the final room, which was ok (not like the pictures), again it was up a really steep hill and near the road but the best out of the three. We agreed to take the room after checking several times that if were to be charged it would be only 500 bhatt extra per night and the staff member agreed.

It was an awful start to our break in Koh Tao and were left exhausted and completely amazed at how badly we had been treated by the staff who were just so rude to us. The next day after a good nights sleep we decided not to approach the manager as at this point my husband and I just wanted to make the best of the remaining stay. We then went on to try and enjoy the beautiful beach and island.

Day three however we were approached at breakfast by the receptionist who had agreed our upgrade to confirm we would be paying the upgrade fee. I confirmed that it was 500 bhat a night and said yes that’s fine and even asked did she need the amount up front. She said no and then left us.

That same day we went for lunch in the hotel restaurant and after lunch we were told by a waiter that we had a call at reception. We both panicked wondering if it was a family member trying to contact us as mobile signal on the island was not great. We were told to go to reception which we did. When we got there the ever so grumpy receptionist indicated for us to wait. Then we were handed the phone, to my surprise on the phone was my tour operator. He asked us about our stay and then asked us what had happened with our room. I explained the entire situation and he said to my complete shock that the hotel had contacted him as they wanted more money for the room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so shocked!

I explained about the poor service, poor rooms and everything basically mentioned above and said to the operator that I shouldn’t have to pay the 500 bhatt never mind any more! The tour operator was great and said he would look into it and to carry on with our day and he would come back to us. In the mean time whilst I was on the phone my husband asked the manager what the problem was as he was worried as he could see him pacing around behind me. The manager was so rude to my husband I have never experienced anything like it, he dismissed my husband and turned to his staff member spoke something and said “you explain they pay or get out room”.

We couldn’t go back to the beach after the incident as we were so stressed about having to perhaps have to pay over the odds for the room or even being thrown out as the manager had indicated!! We called the tour operator again who explained he was going to speak to Head Office for Haad tien to resolve the issue. We waited then got a call later that afternoon to explain the tour operator were going to pick up the additional cost for the room and would resolve the issue with the hotel and for us not to worry. What seemed to have happened is some mis-communication with the staff in the hotel with the lady who agreed to give us the discounted rate

My husband and I were in shock over the whole situation and that whole day was ruined for us and to be honest our remaining 2 nights stay. After the incident the manager did not approach us to explain or apologise and basically would avoid us! It was awful as we felt really uncomfortable for the rest of our stay in the hotel.

To summarise I would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone what I would say is book elsewhere and just go and visit the beach as though they say its private it is open to non-guests!

I also appreciate it’s a new resort and they are still finding there feet but I am sorry good customer service should be the first thing you train your team! Staff here (with the exception of some of the waiters) were just so unprofessional and the reception staff were the worst I have ever encountered!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Worlds_myOysterUK
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The track leading to this hotel is very bumpy and takes about 10mins from the ferry terminal. The hotel is very laid back and will provide a very relaxing break , good food and a nice sandy beach to spend te days relaxing and snorkelling .
We upgraded to a beachfront villa ( think it was called oceanview villa )which looked very new and contemporary in design with a well equipped bathroom and efficient aircon which kept the room cool and was a welcome relief to 37dg outside !
This is a very nice hotel and serves good breakfasts as well as very nice evening meals. The beach bar is great but closes far too early at 7pm...we did visit the local town ( there is courtessy transport provided ) and also had some really good food in Paprika which is on the beach and very reasonable !...I would definitely return to this beach resort ....

Room Tip: Grab a room on the beach , we had the second to last on the beach which I think was number 27 and ha...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YUMMYZ
Villorba, Italy
Reviewed 4 April 2012

If you look for a relaxing and quiet resort in the beautiful island of Koh Tao, don't miss this. It is not first cost, but the money you spend it worth the staying. People very friendly and full of attentions. A little trouble with the road arriving there, specially with a byke ( opfully they will repair it!)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ToniCopo
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed two nights in the getaway villas and the rooms were fantastic! Very close to the intimate white sandy beach you imagine in your dreams! The pool is very exotic made out of slate stone and bar serving fresh piña colada!!!

The restaurant is ok, not the best food I have tasted, but the curries are quite decent.

Overall a great experience and would definetly recommend for couples or even travelling with kids

Room Tip: The getaway villas are fantastic, try the ones that are closest to the beach as some of the back one...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 16 March 2012

What a fantastic place this resort is! We stayed here in February with 3 children & we all cried when we had to leave! This is a place to come back to for sure!
They beach, the castaway villas, beach bar, restaurant, pool it`s all great! But whats really makes Haad Tien so fantastic, is the INCREDIBLE WONDERFUL staff! All of them from the reception,cleaning,restaurant, beachbar,spa, gardeners & Security, they all made us feel so welcome! Our children named them as their new friends...The manager Khun Suchet has created a home away from home at the most beautiful beach at Koh Tao!
We`ll be back!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Hege7935
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Easygoing atmosphere, beautifully constructed, delicious food and cocktails and beautiful, cozy rooms.
The staff don't speak English that well, and there are many outsiders on the public beach(thats beautiful by the way).

• Stayed March 2012