“Gorgeous secluded peaceful beach, great clean spacious bungalows”

Haadtien Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I'm suprised that the Haad Tien is only number 8 for accommodation on Koh Tao as looking at what else was on offer it was definitely miles ahead of the rest! The beach is beautiful - clean, white sands, crystal clear water. It is quiet too - the resort is the only one on shark bay. We stayed at another higher rated hotel on trip advisor earlier on during our stay on Koh Tao and were very disappointed.

We stayed in a hideaway villa - it was perfect for what we needed. It was clean, spacious and we were very pleased. There was a large decking area outside with our own sunloungers to relax on. There was some construction work going on near to the resort which meant that noise could be heard around the reception area - ask for a room away from there and down the beach, we couldn't hear any noise in ours.

We went down to Sairee beach one day and it was disappointing - I had been to Koh Tao 7years ago when it was still relatively undeveloped but now the accumulation of bars and backpackers has totally spoilt the beach and there was rubbish everywhere.

The only downside was the breakfast here - everything was covered in flies. They have obviously tried to cover stuff up but as the area is open aired the flies were still there. I think the hotel needs to think about keeping the food somewhere undercover. We hardly ate anything at breakfast due to this.

The resort is quite secluded - they offer a free shuttle to Mae Haad at certain times of day but we didn't find much in the way of restaurants/bars there. We ate in the hotel restaurant at night and the food was lovely - overpriced for Thailand but still not European prices!

If you want to stay away from the backpacker crowd on a beautiful beach then head here!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room further away from reception - you can hear the noise from the construction near there...
1  Thank Travelleruk3103
DGC9_12, Manager at Haadtien Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

wonderfull review and feedback, thank you.
the hideaways do offer ample space and a lovely balcony to relax and enjoy the nature that surrounds the haad tien, agree with you in regards to the construction next door cannot be heard once you move away form the reception area.
Breakfast all steps have been undertaken to keep a clean and safe buffet area.

looking forward to welcome you both back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Haadtien Beach Resort

Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

This was exactly what I was looking for when I decided to visit koh tao.
My bungalow was right on the beach, beautifully done, air con that was nice and cold, reasonably priced mini bar and lovely and clean.
The resort staff were friendly and helpful, the in site restaraunt and bar were reasonable with good menus. Breakfast was fine, not spectacular but enough choice to keep me going - no fresh fruit juice, which was disappointing.

The on site surf shop was good I completed an open water SSI course. They were a little disorganised but all the staff were friendly and I had every confidence they were going to
look after me! The groups were really small first day I had an instructor to myself and on my course there was just one other diver.

Snorkelling in the shallow water in the bay is good fun there is a good variety of tropical fish just a few meters out.

Overall really thought haad tien was great, there is some building work going on, there are only a few actual beach bungalows I would have been disappointed if I hadn't gotten one! It is more expensive than other places in the area. It is quite out the way so taxis are a few hundred baht from town.

Would recommend this hotel and would definitely return. But I would confirm my bungalow on booking.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank missmorven

Wonderful reveiw many thanks, for the feed back and comments well noted.
we will pass on your comments to the dive wishes team and your feedback.
please do make a request for your preffered Bungalow on your next visit.

hope to welcome you back in the near future,
Best regards the staff & Managment

Reviewed 22 May 2013

It's hard to find the balance between laid back atmosphere and great service, but the Haad Tien does it! Its charming, elegant, extremely peaceful and relaxing. Its located on a great beach just 15 minutes by taxi away from the main village and 10 from the port. The hotel have many options for day trips (around the island scuba or snorkelling) and its soooo worth it. Took a half day (from 9 till 2pm) snorkelling trip and went back to mango island (my favorite little spot on the island) on the next day. Would totally recommend for couples (supper romantic place) or anyone that enjoys and good atmosphere, great service, a natural chic environment and doesn't mind being a little away from the main village. One last thought: Its one of the few hotels that I have stayed that you dont feel the service routines and don't get disturbed or even distracted by it, and that's amazing.

Room Tip: We decided for the getaway villa (room 305) and loooooved it. Close to the pool, beach and restauran...
1  Thank Forattini

thank you for the wonderful review and feedback, great feedback on our round the Isand trip yes this is very popular and gives you the best of seeing the island from the sea, snorkel with fish and the sharks, we hope to welcome you both back in the near future, dont forget to try a castaway right on the beach next time.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

My partner and I stayed at Haad Tien for 5 nights anfd it was a really enjoyable experience. It is the only resort on Shark Bay. We opted for a Castaway beach Villa and it was right on the beach with the ocean only a few short steps away. The room was really modern yet had a rustic charm with an outside daybed to sit and relax.

We also had two loungers on the beach right in front of the villa which was peefrct for suning ourselves

The beach was glorioulsy uncrowded and you had a real sense of being in a really unspoillled part of Thailand.

The resort staff were very helpful and always had a smile on their face which made us feel very welcome indeed.

The nightly shuttlebus to the town was free which was a really nice touch and there was enough to do in the small port area to while away a few hours every evening.

My one negative would be that the breakfast wasnt very good - so much so that we decided not to try the restaurant in the evening which is a pity as it looked very beautiful at night.

Overally this is a great place and i would definately go back.

Room Tip: definately opt for a castaway villa on the beach. rooms 209 onwards are right on the beach and this...
1  Thank NeilPByrne

Dear Both, Thank you for a great review and the feedback towards the resort and our staff.
Noted for breakfast and chef and his team have been informed and the changes have happened.
shame that you did not try their dinner menu it has been given very good feedback in regards to quality, presentations and the taste, hopefully on your next trip you would give the food a try.
i can assure you both you will enjoy.
Best regards the staff & Managment

Reviewed 20 May 2013

We first visited Koh tao some three years ago and so had heard worrying things about it becoming over developed and commercialised prior to attending this time – I can confirm that whilst it has been built up a bit around Sairee beach it is still absolutely wonderful and 90% untouched !

My wife and I were visiting for 5 nights and had long deliberated about where to stay; I can honestly say that we were absolutely delighted with the Haad Tien. The pickup process at the ferry terminal initially didn’t appear as slick as other hotels and then it became quite obvious why – their vehicle is far more substantial than any others and so they had to wait for the space to bring it in!

The trip to the hotel includes a pretty steep climb followed by descent in to their private bay but once there – wow! It is 110% as stunning as their website makes it look and the check in process was quick and painless. We enjoyed two room types during our stay, the first two nights in a getaway villa (I think thats right anyhow – with a day bed out the front) and it was very close to the pool/beach and restaurant which was ideal. The second of our rooms was a hideaway and location was right at the top of a very steep climb but the view made if worthwhile once we’d got to the top!

The beach is stunning and as we were on spring tides this meant as low tide it was very shallow for approx 100m out – great for fish spotting although watch out for the sea urchins. The pool bar / restaurant has happy hour for two hours each day and yes; the drinks were more expensive than in town but at £2 for a cocktail it was also easy to get carried away; particularly as they even brought then to us as we sat in the sea! The catering at the pool restaurant and main restaurant is what I would call average to good; i.e. there are better places but for convenience and overall these places are absolutely fine.

On our last three nights we chose to go to Sairee Beach to watch the sunset and the hotel kindly organised taxi’s for us; again these were a little more pricey than coming back with private guys but the difference was literally one or two pounds so that was fine.

My only real gripes would be that the hotel needs to renew their complimentary snorkelling equipment and on our last morning they did fib about the availability of a room service menu – this was only resolved when we spoke with the very helpful general manager who did tell the truth and so our food appeared ! Similarly they tried to tell us our check out time had already been a ‘complimentary late check out’ despite the fact we were only at the time they advertise as check out in the hotel information brochure. The latter of these points is not a huge issue but did irritate us as fibbing lets down an otherwise wonderful hotel and we had (we thought) been good customers for them over five nights at a quiet time of year!

However; all that aside we will certainly need an extremely good reason not to use this hotel again as/when we return!

2  Thank DAAD1978
DGC9_12, Manager at Haadtien Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Thank you both for a wonderful review and feedback, Koh Tao has still a lot of unotuched areas as you mentioned, at the pier can be a hectic day and with a lareg vehicle like our truck sometimes we do have a slow exit from this area, my apologies.
All the snorkeling equipment has been changed with 10 new sets last week, thanks for the heads up, fbing is not or should be part of our Hospitality and this has been discussed with both Front office and the Service team.
my apologies once again looking forward to welcome you both back in the near future.
Best regards, the staff & Managment

for those wanting to book with us direct please use haadtien. com only

Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

We decided to splurge a bit for a few days on our round the world travels, this place did not disappoint.

We were collected from ferry port and taken to hotel, had a hideaway villa, room 102, it was perfect! A slight walk to reception area but definitely the better end of the resort for me, building work is happening the reception end on beach so was a winner to be the other end!

Room was very clean, bed was comfy and pillows were great! Mosquito net provided.

Rooms made up daily, and towels changed. They have good AC, nicely stocked fridge and a decent tv with good selection of channels, wifi throughout resort too! Ask a reception and they will being a mosquito coil to your room too.

Happy hour 5-7 on beach bar, cocktails all 100baht, food here was good too.

Main restaurant for breakfast which has a wide choice and had 3 dinners in there too, food was excellent! It was wife's bday whilst here so I asked for lobster which they got in for me, it was beautiful!

Reception were VERY helpful and assisted with any needs we had.

Beach was lovely, very clean, very quiet, it's private to resort, snorkelling was great in the bay.

Pool was also very nice!!

Minibus to pier and sairee beach were simple enough but taxi back is per person and quite expensive by Thailand taxi prices, more going on in Sairee although very quiet when compared to Koh Samui etc.

All in all a fab stay!! Would 110% return and recommend!! :)

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank TheGooner14
DGC9_12, Manager at Haadtien Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

thank you both for a wonderful review, great to see your feed back for all sections of the resort,
the hideaway villas do offer peace and tranqulity at the other end of the resort.
we are loooking forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Best regards, the staff and managment

Reviewed 18 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at Haad Tien on Shark Bay for 15 nights at the beginning of April. We also stayed for one week in April, 2012 and couldn't wait to go back. It is a very beautiful and relaxing property.

We stayed in Hideaway Villas both trips and found them perfect for us. The cleaning staff were attentive and friendly, as were the grounds crew and breakfast staff. Sometimes you might need to smile first, or say hello, but then you always get a big smile in return. We saw the manager, John most days as he was busy around the property but always took time to ask how we were and answered any of our questions. A very pleasant guy.

Breakfast is well done with plenty of Western and Asian options. Last year we had dinner at the resort 2 or 3 times and while the food was enjoyable, we found the prices a little high and the fish flies annoying. I can't comment on the dinner price, quality and fish fly situation this year as we had every dinner outside of the resort. One place we went to several times is New Heaven Cafe - just a short walk through the rocks on the right side of the beach and then up some stairs, halfway up the side of the hill. From there you have a beautiful view of Shark Bay and Haad Tien. The food and drinks are very good and well priced.

The highlight of our trip, and the main reason for coming back, is the snorkelling. We were in the water between 3 to 5 hours every day. Some reviewers say that the coral is dead and they didn't see much interesting sea life, but I think they really missed out. There are many interesting corals and fish to see right in Shark Bay if you take a little time to explore. And if you swim up either side and go just outside the bay you will see wonderful sea life. My wife only learned to swim a couple years ago and this year she finally had the courage to swim without a life jacket and she had no problem swimming with me all the way to Shark Island, Ao Leuk, and Chalok Baan Kao.

A favourite spot of mine is the small bay out and to the left of Shark Bay (out past Jamahkiri Resort). It's a casual 15 minute swim from Haad Tien beach and it is where I saw a green turtle and adult blubber jellyfish last year, and this year a hawsbill turtle and baby white spotted jellyfish (no larger than the tip of my thumb). I also saw the tail of a blue spotted stingray hiding under rocks in that bay. It wouldn't come out for me to see all of it, but I saw its tail in the exact same location a few days later. There were also many adult and baby reef sharks in and around that area. The baby sharks were very close to shore and were more curious about humans than the adult sharks. We also saw titan triggerfish around that area.

Snorkelling around Shark Island was also great as visibility was usually excellent and there is some very nice coral and anemone. I was impresed with the reef squid and orangespine surgeonfish there. Snorkelling out past the right side of Shark Bay (towards Freedom Beach and Chalok Baan Kao) you will also see many different kinds of coral and fish.

We also spent one day snorkelling at Nangyuan island, as we did in 2012. Beautiful coral, anemone and fish are abundant.

Even in Shark Bay I could see that the coral had improved since 2012, so that is a good sign. And John, the manager, told me of some plans to grow new coral.

There is another resort currently being constructed behind the main dining area beside the Sea Balcony rooms. John said it would be owned by the Haad Tien group but will be operated separate from Haad Tien and have its own enterance. There is some noise from this work during the day but we only heard it when we were close to that area. I think if you stay in any room West of the pool you won't hear any noise at all.

Also, about 20 new villas have been added since last year. It looks like most of them are Hideaway Villas. Although we immediately noticed the additional villas, the resort and breakfast area did not appear any busier than last year. It still has a nice, relaxing feel. John said there will not be any further villas added to the resort.

All attached photos were taken in or around Shark Bay. I highly recommend Koh Tao and Haad Tien.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Corray

Dear Both, it was a pleasure to meet and discuss, glad to be of service, as we are in the hospitality service, we make friends this way.
we do have a wonderful bay and plenty of aquatic life there, there is a plan for the future to assist the reef. we are looking forward to welcome you both back again in the near future.
Best regards, the staff and managment