“Awesome!!!”

Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Corseaux, Switzerland
“Awesome!!!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at this resort and would go back there and recommend it. We loved the beautiful beach and pool area. The food could easily improve at the hotel's restaurant but some little local restaurants are around and worth the visit.The charming Swiss girl made our stay a very good one.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank wp1802

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

First, from the port, your staff didn't welcome us appropriately. We like the song tiao service but your staff don't give extra care for their new arrived guests.

Second, going to the resort is just about 5minutes not bad at all. But here comes the nightmare for us. When we arrived to the small nipa hut labeled as Reception, a swiss lady named Camille, approached us and gave us a welcome drink. We sit and wait for our queue, if someone will approach us for check in. A Thai woman came to us and speak in their local language. We said sorry we're not Thai. She also apologized for that but in a sarcastic way. After that, no welcome or checking us if our trip was good, she just asked for our name and I told her that we're just walk in but I sent an email to your reservation site. They just said OK. And leave us there. Sitting while watching them taking care of the other guests. Which was totally unfair cause we arrived first but all of a sudden we became on the last line. We're also working in front office department so we know what should be done. And what hurts us was she told us that THERE IS NO ROOM AVAILABLE now. How could that be? I told her that the reservation told me that yes the villas our fully booked but they offered to us the rooms in the beach club which was fine for us. Just give us a room. Whatever type it is. Cause if you're going to tell to the guest that you cannot offer accommodation for them that is a NO NO. You may lose a thousands of baht if you want the guest to transfer to another hotel. Is that how you upsell? Oh God. After half an hour, I present to them the email from the reservation. They even said, "it's true." Like what??! So the whole time they don't believed us that we are going to check in and c'mon we're going to pay you. In cash! I am pissed off. So after 5 minutes the Thai guy told us that we already have the room but it'll be ready on 14:00. It's okay cause we know that it's the normal check in time. We proceed to the restaurant and eat our lunch. The staff there were good compare to the reception. We met Camille again and we talked. We like the swiss lady. She's very professional and friendly. When it was 13:30 the Thai guy from reception told us that our room is ready. Which is great cause we just finished our lunch. Camille escorted us to the room.

For the room, we love it! We're in the last room from the highest floor. More private. The minibar is good, thanks for the free coffee and tea.

We love the view and location. This resort is really poor in service. I really hope it would be develop soon. Thanks to Zaw and Komin/Komi. For helping us and checking us if we're having fun. We want to recommend this resort but will think about it.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank kerrcandice
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The place is good. They have the finest white sand by nature in thailand. I stayed there with my friend and both of us enjoyed haad tiend. We stayed at the beach club because haad tiend is fully booked at that time. We met camille at the front office. she's very nice and friendly you should meet her when you come to haad tien and let her assist you with your check in she is also polite with her words. They have an awesome breakfast near by the shore so you will feel the fresh air. There is a one guy from Myanmar whose working on the fnb his friendly and approachable (I forgot his name). We are so lucky because the time that we stayed in there they are offering a free training for diving it was awesome the first resort that offered a free training for scuba.
We also tried the snorkeling in reasonable price. I love the sun I love the beach I love haad tien and im looking forward to come back!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank ilovedayanc
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

A lovely little resort on a lovely little island. It really felt like paradise. The food was high quality, the service was excellent, the drinks were plentiful and reasonably priced and we loved the infinity pool. We stayed in a Getaway Villa which was spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ce9173
Brighton, UK
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is a great hotel. We arrived by ferry into Mae Haad and were picked up for free by the hotel cart. It’s a bit like a fruit cart and take 10 mins to get to the hotel. On arrival the staff were ok, not the most friendly. We booked a Castaway Beach Villa, which was lovely. Good standard of room and lovely private beach area in front. The location, Beach, pool is wonderful, just perfect.

Unfortunately there is a let-down. The staff and service…. It’s really bad. We came from another hotel in Koh Samui the day before and really noticed the difference. It’s like they don’t care, not much smiling, rude, they do not understand everything, not that I’m expecting perfect English, but they need to improve their communication skills.

After three days of noticing that the breakfast food was always running out during service and I had to ask for more bacon, bread, coffee etc and dirty table cloths and spoons I asked to see the manager. I spoke to one of them who agreed it is not good enough and fully aware it’s a problem, it always like this he said, but did not advise of a solution or even inform me he will look into it.

I asked to speak to another manager, who was better at listening and advised the restaurant manager had quit a few days before and it’s all a bit of a mess right here at the moment and too many guests for the amount of staff. It did seem better the following day, but just little things that make the difference were never sorted, every morning our table was either missing a knife or folk or something, just sloppy service in general.

There is an apprentice scheme of management in the hotel of Polish and Swiss workers, so this is the major problem, you do not get that lovely Thai service and smile and I do not think they are being managed very well or at all.

There is also building work going on that I wasn’t advised about, it wasn’t too much of a problem as our villa was away from it, but if you have a villa or room in the main hotel it wouldn’t be nice as lots of drilling and builders around. They should at least start building after breakfast has finished at 10.00am as it is directly next to the restaurant. This is due to be finished around April I was told.

Even the cleaning of the rooms is hit and miss I had to even ask for the door windows to cleaned as they were really dirty and the chamber maids obviously didn’t notice every day, I know this sounds like a small thing, but I should have to ask of things like this on holiday.

As you can see there are lots of reviews about the service, so if the hotel owners/management read this, it’s obvious you need to address this as effecting your reviews in a big way and doesn’t have to as the rest is perfect.

If you’re looking to book I would due to the fact of the location, hotel in general, but do not expected great food and certainly no great service at all.

Room Tip: Villas far away from the main hotel area as possible
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Berlin
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We (family w/ 2 yound children) spent 8 nights in February 2014 in a Getaway bungalow at this resort. We are quite experienced with travelling in south east asia as we spent many times on various Thailand and Malysia islands, hence we really do know what we can or can not expect from a upper class resort on a SEA tropical island. Beside, me and my wife we spent 200+ nights per year in upper class hotels throughout Europe and have a good understanding and pay attention on standard upper class service matters.

In summary we have to say that the beach and the surface impression of the resort is quite good and is compliant to the price they request. Contact before our arrival was good as well as the pick-up at the pier, quite efficient using their resort "truck". Check-in was a little bit slow as the truck offloaded 7 families and they were able to serve 2 check-ins in parallel. Everything (reception, bar, restaurant etc.) on the resort is outside, so you are waiting in the hot/humid reception hut with little kids until its your turn....

The bungalows are clean at first glance. Our little daughter once took out a glue trap for geckos and large insects under our bed. The room service was under standard, they clean the room surface wise. General observation, if you tipp you get a little better service e.g. we tipp the room maid and get one additional bottle of water each day. On day 5 I stopped that and next day we only had one 1,5l bottle for a family of 4... So normally you tipp after good service, I have the impression here that you need to tipp to get ok service.

The beach is very nice, fine sandy beach und great panoramic view. The issue is that on Koh Tao you will mostly have SE / SSE wind during this time so a lot of algae, debris, garbage are washed up to the beach making the first 10-15 meters of water really dirty. During our 8 day stay the hotel had staff cleaned up the beach exactly one time. We saw some guest walking down the beach collecting garbage (plastics & other garbage’s)....

The pool on first glance nice, however the water in the pool was quite dirty. We saw little particles in the water and on the one side there were also algae at the bottom. We did not allowed our kids to swim in the pool though.

Service was under standard as well, as mentioned several times here already. Maybe we found one explanation for that: 80% of the service employee were from Burma and are not very trained in service neither English. So if one is not very confident in what he/she is doing and the language itself, service is affected negatively. However, my observation from the service is that they are quite disorganized, not clear who is the one who is in charge of Food & Beverage. On our first night service was poor, were seated at a reserved table, then had to switch again after they recognized that, spilled of my beer on the table when serving. After my complaint they offered complementary dinner. The worse thing is that I had an upset stomach after that evening for 2 days...

Our recommendation: if you are travelling alone or without kids you may bear the downside of the resoort as you just enjoy the view (w/o getting into water of pool or beach) and can rent a 4 wheel to get to town each evening. Otherwise I would not recommend this resort due to the shortcomings mentioned above - especially for the price...

After our stay we went back to Koh Samui and stayed at a 4* on Lamai Beach - groundbreaking differences in terms of service quality, food, accommodation....

Hope that help some of you to make your travel arrangements.

Room Tip: Go for Castaway if you dont pay attention to price but need a good view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank bdoan
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 22 February 2014

One of the best and beautiful beach in Thailand!!!
We had a beachfront villa and it was wonderful,amazing view from the room!!
Nice pool and good service on the beach bar.
We took one day dividing and the teem was very nice, our guide Yirma was very professional.
Great breakfast with good cappuccino!
Spa Jamahkiri up on the hill was good.
We defently will come again next time!

Room Tip: Beachfront villa the best vallue.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple