“Beautiful resort, paradise...”

Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Horley, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful resort, paradise...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

The pictures looked like paradise, and the reality didn't disappoint! I didn't want to leave this place after 6 nights, our room was beautiful, well kept and with a perfect view. The staff were incredibly friendly, and I'd go so far as to say infectiously happy behind the beach bar!
The food in the restaurant was really great, I guess you might think it was expensive if you were used to buying dinner in any Thai town, but very reasonable when coming from the uk, and worth every penny.
I had read reviews before we came about additional building and people saying it will spoil the resort. The new building wasn't complete when we were there, but I was pleased to see they were also extending the restaurant facilities too to cope with the extra capacity (including additional low tables overlooking the beach, which were lovely). As the beach is a in a cove, there's no option to extend that though, so I'm not sure how that will be affected by the additional guests.
We had a castaway beach villa, close to the quiet end of the beach, with sun loungers for our use only. I think it was the best spot in the resort, as we had the beach to ourselves most of the time. I did notice it was busier at the other end of the beach, near the pool and the bar. Even though I'm not sure if the growth of the resort will change it, it wont prevent me from returning, and I would request the same room - it was perfect and I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jacqui W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived late at night - managed to get a room and although at first we weren't impressed with the service - it soon improved. Our room was a hut over looking the pool and beach - simple but cool. Restaurant for dinner was excellent with good variety for the kids. Breakfast is a good selection of food - however flies were over everything. Service is a little less good / less attentive than the mainland / less friendly. However would we stay here again - yes.

Stayed July 2014
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We actually stayed at the Beach Club, which was fantastic!!! We loved it! What a gorgeous spot. Free Shuttle service from Pier and return. Snorkelling tour we did on the long tail boat was great. Our Guide was very helpful and went out of his way to please us and take us to nice spots. Not much english, but we managed. The Breakfast buffet was fantastic. I recommend the Shrimp Congee. And of course make sure you have some bubbles with Breakfast, which was a nice touch. We had some minor hiccups only - that we did not get picked up at the pier as advised. Mind you, we did do the Nok Air flight that included bus and boat which arrived about 40 mins late. Anyway - was not such a big deal. Taxi is easy and takes around 5 mins to get to the resort. We also had an issue with one dinner that did not arrive after about an hour, and when we queried we got the bill where we had not actually received meal. Not a big deal but the kitchen was closed and there was no where else to get food :( We did complain and the Restaurant Manager came to our room the next day and was sincerely apologetic and offered us a free dining experience that night. So, we accepted and where very well looked after. Happy Hour at the Pool bar from 5pm was great. Two for one cocktails is always nice, although they do need a lot of work to make them better. It took us some time to find anything half decent to drink. Despite the minor hiccups, we would definitely stay here again, and again. So we do hope we can return sometime.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be good. It is a lovely resort.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

The location was literally like you had walked into your own eco paradise on the most beautiful beach with idyllic wooden huts scattered around and public spaces in keeping with this beautiful theme. The sea had the best coral for snorkelling possibly on the island with more types of fish, coral and amazing reef sharks than you could want - so good we didn't even feel the need to go diving! The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful. You could not walk down a path without everyone you passed giving you the most sincere warm hello and smile. Considering its (relatively) remote location (the island is very small), the food and drinks were averagely priced and very good, with the beach hut happy hour a firm favourite for all there. A perfect place for unwinding and relaxing amid a hectic backpacking trip, this place is perfect for couples, families and honeymooners alike. With the towns only a 10minute drive away it is not far to reach the nightlife. The huts are impeccably finished with veils around the beds and perfect sea views as you awake. Wish we could live here - nicest place we have ever been!!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Helen888888
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Spent a few nights here over new years eve with my boyfriend. Room was clean, service was good, and overall we really enjoyed our stay.

The food was really good, however dinner at the main restaurant is a little pricey compared to restaurants in the main town. That being said, the grilled seafood was done to perfection, and the band which was playing most nights was amazing :) Also, the bartender at the pool bar was incredible.

The only issue was that the beach was not as private as we expected, and because it was quite narrow there wasn't always much space to lay out if you wanted. The deck chairs could also use some rehabilitation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

The resort is so nice and the staff is professional and helpful. This resort has the best options regarding snorkeling. I lived there almost 5 days and spotted black tipped reef sharks 4 of the days. And 3 sea turtles as well. You can easily rent a taxi long tale boat for a cheep money on the beach if you wanna see other great snorkeling areas.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jan J
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I just left this hotel 6 nights before my scheduled departure (and my already paid 6 nights).
The bay is beautiful, but the resort is so poor that you'll be shocked as me!
The management sell the resort as "luxury", but believe me I didn't find anything luxury inside it (except for the Spa).
I was really really upset, because after a long trip, and a 2 hours cruise to get to Ko Tao (hell is nothing comparing this), finding something like Haad Tien resort, is the worst thing that could happen to a person in need of a deserved vacation!
I just want to say that the direction should say clearly that the resort is a 3 stars level hotel, not 4 stars or not at all luxury. There are only 2 things that deserve 4 stars: the SPA and the pool, that's it!
I believe that the Haad Tien was nice some years before, when it was new, but now the situation is opposite; the rooms are old and really poor and small; everything is made of wood, served and consumed wood (maybe some maintenance work sometimes? No way!); the cleaning is an optional in the rooms (dust everywhere and hair in the shower); the garden was abbandonated without any gardening work, very very dirty, there was just some dry grass; the beach was ok, but no sun-umbrellas, just few unconfortable sunbeds, no bar service (you have to go and pick-up what you want at the pool bar) and BE CAREFUL if you want to stay all day in the beach, the beach is entirely covered from the trees shadows in the afternoon; the restaurant is..
ah! first of all ugly and, of course, poor and old, but the worst thing is the service! 15 min. for having the menù, 35 min. for the drinks, and after 10.30 pm the staff try to push you away bacause they have to prepare for breakfast!
I give 1 star more just for the Spa, that was very nice with fantastic maggages.
Considering the prices of the rooms, the pictures that resort shows on their website and on all the booking websites, I think that choosing this hotel is a mistake, a theft, and a big delusion.
This is my experiance and my advice is: go to another resort in Ko Tao, you will spend less money (a lot) than Haad Tien and will find the same quality.
Anyway I'll show you the pictures, that proove what I'm saying.

Stayed July 2014