“Left Haad Tien to stay at simple life”

Koh Tao Simple Life Resort
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Yeah, I just couldn't take that place anymore. Who plays Barbara Streisand in Thailand? And whyyy are there no umbrellas on the beach? Whatever. Simple life is the perfect balance of amenities you need, and a fun location. It's easy find, and unpretentious.

The massage lady was super nice, and the reception helped us with laundry and boat rides.the free breakfast is hearty, and their chef salad was lovely! Its near the sunset--some killer sunsets are at lotus bar. Has hair dryer, aircon, minibar, pool, big room, great restaurants nearby.

Simple life was a great choice. It's a welcome oasis from the island scene, though you are close enough so you can go back out, as we did every night. Haad thien was a distant rest home.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DallasFlysolofemme

Reviewed 9 May 2012

Stayed with the girl reviewer below as we both found the fan accommodation our dive school offered lacking... A/C. Seriously, it's hot on Koh Tao, get a room with A/C!!

While this place would be overpriced anywhere else in Thailand it's a pretty good deal for Koh Tao. A/C was strong, beds were comfy, and room was always clean by the time we got back from diving. Bathroom was often smelly, as I've found is common with outdoor facilities in SEA, but quite large w/ hot, strong showers.

Breakfast buffet had the most extensive variety I think I've ever encountered--the omelet station was an awesome touch! The location is pretty perfect, surrounded by plenty of restaurants, it's a 5-minute walk from most of the dive schools located in on Sairee beach, and about 10-min from the strip of bars/clubs.

Normally I wouldn't spend this much on a room by myself, but after the dump I moved to once my roomie had departed for her next destination (I wanted to continue with my advanced certification) I wish I had stayed at the Simple Life.

Even if you don't stay here, best to spend the money you save on diving on a decent accommodation as the budget options on Koh Tao are pretty abysmal.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2012

The rooms are good, very big, I stayed with another girl who was diving at the same school as me and also wanted A/C accommodation. We ended up paying 1700 baht total/night which was a good deal compared to some of the other crappy non A/C places we looked at. The room had 2 beds (one King, one double) and we each got 2 towels (one for shower, one for pool). As others have indicated, the bathroom was large and shower was sectioned off which was NICE so the entire bathroom didn't get soaked when you showered. A/C worked really well however wi-fi was almost non existent (which wasn't a huge problem because we were barely in the room as diving school takes up a lot of time!). Restaurant has free wi-fi as well if you're desperate. The room also had a mini bar (which they put 2 fresh waters in for you EVERDAY), TV with DVD player (you can hire DVD's from reception), safe, and place to hang clothes.

The included breakfast was good for Thailand, it was buffet style and they have juices, tea, coffee, a a chef cooking eggs to order, fresh fruit, yogurt, toast station, waffles, bacon, and of course a variety of Thai food (curry, fried rice, veggies, etc). Good value.

Staff was pretty friendly, however I left a pair of earrings on the night stand one day while at dive school and came back to find only one sitting there. I asked the staff and they said they'd "look into it" but nothing was ever recovered.

Overall Simple Life is clean, about 5 minute walk to the beach, close to many restaurants/bars, and a good value for Koh Tao.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near reception if you want a chance at a wi-fi connection. Also, top floor of the at...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Simple Life Resort and would recommend them to anyone looking for accommodation and diving experiences in Koh Tao. I came to Koh Tao for the diving and found the staff both at the Resort, and the dive centre to be very friendly, experienced, but also relaxed and easy going. The rooms at the resort were simple but of a good standard and clean.

The diving was great and the confidence and experience of the instructors was just what I needed, having not been diving in about a year. Thank you Tim, Hayden, Steve, Minty, John, Gary, Ollie, Vanessa, Jo, Josh, the American dude (can't remember your name man sorry) and all the others involved. I'm looking to do my Dive Master with simple life over the NY as I was so impressed and I'll be in touch soon Tim! All the best to you all and good luck!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CalSteiner
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We arrived on koh Tao at 9am, upon booking our room we requested early check in, twin beds etc.
We had to wait until 1.30pm before we could enter our room to find out it was one bed not two twins, after going down to complain and change our room around it took another hour before we had the room we wanted.
Staff where snarley never smiled.
A few nights there was enough before we had to leave to another hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tim P
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I have stayed twice to simple life. The rooms are of a good standard - large Bathrooms, comfy beds / sheets and extremely clean. The cleaning staff are great and come in twice a day. The check in process is a little primitive, but you have to take this with a pinch of salt (your not paying 5*). The Pool area is great - not the biggest but a nice place to come and chill for an hour after a day out exploring or diving. The restaurant is decent and serves a good breakfast. Having been to Koh Tao on a few occasions this is a great place to base yourself (on what is my fav island throughout the world) - the only other hotel that really matches it is Baan's (but is slightly more expensive).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My Wife and I went to Koh Tao for some diving (average) and stayed in the Simple Life Resort which was great! The staff were always friendly, and the room was beautiful, we especially loved the bathroom which has a lay out and design we will probably use when we renovate our own at home! The restaurant attached was good value and quality and the massage ladies were great. Overall well worth the trip!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple