“Excellent diving school!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #93 of 135 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Köln
“Excellent diving school!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

We were spending 6 days (5 nights) at the Carabao Diving school in order to get our Open Water certification and we consider ourselves so very lucky to have ended up there. We had an absolutely amazing dive instructor, Dan. I'm pretty scared of depths and not a quick learner of new skills. Dan was super patient with me and helped me overcome my fear while making sure we learned everything you have to know for safe diving.That guy is so charismatic I probably would have followed him throgh hell if he had told me it was okay. The accomodation at Carabo was also very nice, clean, spacious rooms with a balcony (we could even see the ocean when looking out of the window). Cool hangout spot at the bar at night, good food at the restaurant (we especially love their breakfast). Staff in general is very helpful and friendly. Carabao definitely made our stay at Koh Tao!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

I cant rate the hotel as i was not a guest, but we tried the restaurant the first night in the island.
The food was really bad, but we didnt say anything about that (it was our fault to ask for mexican food on a thai island, but after some months in asia we wanted something different), we just asked for more dip salsa for some nachos that we order, as with the second dip it was over, the ball was mostly lettuce (great for dipping...) and just some salsa over it. They refused and said that we had to pay extra for that. We said it was not fare and the waiter right away said that even with the food still on the table we had to pay for all and leave right away. He took my friends laptop and when i standed up to take it back another one punched me on the head without a previous word. All the people sitting next to us could saw everything and couldnt believe what they just have seen.
I was knocked out for a minute and then for 4 hours couldnt even remember what had happend to me for the last couple of days. Such a horrific experience...
Believe me, i am a really tolerant and non agresive guy, and never thought that asking them for some more sauce could end up with me being punched... It ruined our visit to the island... So please AVOID that place, the staff is rude and extremly agressive. I dont want that to happen to anybody else.

AVOID the restaurant, there are many other good options on the island, dont waste your time and money for thia poor food and bad people.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Oscar28-sp

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Ede
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

I did the ssi divecourse by carabao. It was great because it is a small organisation what gives me a warm welcome and à nice ambiance. Our instructeur was Pierre, he was good, he knew what hè was doing. So i van say the courses our from a high quality. After the 3 days i had trust in myself and could go diving by myself (always with an instructor of course). I will recommanded carabao!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Very cool, chilled out place. Perfect to go diving or learn to dive, the intructors are pretty cool. The bar next door is amazing also. Although it can get on your nerves if you wanna go to bed early because you are diving the next day because of the noise.

Room Tip: not facing the bar!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

school in backpackers climate, i really enjoyed it, but the rooms (bungalows) were really basic, perfect to stay for 4- days padi diving course

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank justamm
Koh Tao, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

even if i hadnt loved the dive course i did here, i still would had a great time i'm sure.
The instructors made me feel safe, comfortable and eventually confident underwater, then when my course was finished the other resort staff were full of different ideas of what to do, where to eat and drink and future travel plans.
I stayed in a brand new building (sept 08) and it was easily the best room i stayed in Thailand, even if the pillows were rock-hard.
The view from the room was like a screensaver, perfect cresent-shaped bay, yellow sand and evening beach volleyball games. the resaurant food was ok, they showed movies in the evening which was good if you were going for early morning dives, but the BBQ along the beach was fantastic!
The only bad point was when i rented a scooter and came back with a tiny scratch on the underside and they wanted to charge me 5000 thb for a replacement! The roads around there arent exactly the autobahn so this kind of thing must happen all the time, you have been warned.
Overall i would recommened this place to all my fellow travellers espeially if interested in doing scuba.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo