“All you can dream of”

Taatoh Resort & Freedom Beach Resort
Ranked #48 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Beautiful bay, calm turquoise water, great snorkelling, nice huts with an amazing view, good food, free WIFI, clean, comfortable and quite. What else could you ask for? After a very bad experience in Koh Tao we arrived to this paradise. We didn't know what to expect but after settled down we decided we wanted to stay here for the rest of our time in Thailand. The communal area is really nice, elegant, and modern, when we first saw it we though the place was going to be far too expensive for us but fortunately they had rooms for all budgets. The food was very nice, prices were fair and the atmosphere great. If I come back to Koh Tao I would definitely come back here.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank julianavelez

Reviewed 18 February 2011

We are 60-year-old comfortably off backpackers and found this resort to be ideal for our needs. We paid 2000 baht a night for a cabin with fan and a/c. Clean, comfortable double bed with mosquito net and clean shower and western toilet en suite. The huts are on concrete stilts embedded in the amazing huge boulders that rise from the sandy beach. Well-lit concrete paths meander through the boulders. Most of the huts look out to the west across an attractive bay, and you can see the sun drop into the sea at sunset. There are two beaches, the main one is very gently sloping and ideal for small children with some coral and fish to see. Then there is a concrete walkway round the headland to a second smaller beach with plenty of shade, and a bar and a more steeply sloping beach that has very clear water and good snorkelling. The beaches are well-sheltered from the prevailing (while we were there) SE wind. The restaurant at the main beach is reasonably priced and serves good quality food. We spent two very happy days there and felt it had been good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cjdgb
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I read the reviews before we arrived and so I was a little wary but it was booked so I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best...

We were lucky as were on a budget that we got one of the few 500 baht bungalows left on the island but this resort has wide ranging accomodation for all budgets so the restaurant and beach area is to a very good standard.

The food and service was fantastic, the cheery faces in the morning made me smile while I ate my muesli and used the free wifi you get when you stay.

The cocktails helped keep me cool while I cooked on the beach which they cleaned for you every night and they also allow tabs to be set for rooms which you can settle at the end of your stay... Something we had not encountered before on our numerous other hostel/hotel/guesthouse stays.

This place is lovely, rooms are basic but I expected nothing different from our budget and you get a fantastic view of the bay which looks lovely day or night time.

Love this place... Would definately stay again!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I booked the cheapest room available via their website, a month or so before arriving. We opted for a "fan" room, but realized once we got the the islands that we really should have splurged for A/C.

Our driver was there on time to pick us up at the ferry port. He let us sit in the front and even had the A/C going for us. When we go to the resort, we were REALLY excited because it looked so NICE in the common areas. They really went all out with the check-in ares!

Once we saw the room, though, we realized where the savings came in. Yes, it was a nice view of Buddha Rock, but it was so "no frills," it's ridiculous. Luckily, we had a fan that we never turned off.

The beach at Freedom is nice. It's very secluded and cozy and has plenty of shade, thanks to the trees dotting the shore. There is some fantastic snorkeling just out into the water a bit, BUT MAKE SURE YOUR MASK DOES NOT LEAK. (We believe that snorkeling here was what led to me contracting cholera and being put up in the island clinic for two days - loosing $90 and two days of my trip.)

My last night here, I got hit with the mentioned sickness and needed a doctor immediately. This resort is pretty far from town, which didn't bother us when we were healthy and could just walk the extra mile, but at night trying to find our way to a clinic was a nightmare.

During checkout the next morning, they tried to charge me 800 baht a night! The bungalow I booked (and luckily had proof of the emails - I'm glad I print everything out) was 500 baht. If they put us in the wrong bungalow, that is not my fault (but I can't imagine them having any bungalows in WORSE condition!) and I had to loose face and argue with the very angry Thai lady working the counter. It ended with her simply throwing the baht I was owed back at me angrily and stomping away. Very professional, guys.

The restaurant and internet here is way over-priced and not worth it. Too bad they're so far away from everything in town!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kallbrier
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We ended up staying here for 1 night because our top choices on the eastern side of the island were closed due to the rainy season. The bed was very lumpy, the curtains were no more than a crude sheet hung over a wire, the fan squeaked loudly, and the electric lights had to be turned on and off from the electric control panel - no light switches! In the rainy season, full of mosquitoes too. My kids got eaten alive. There is absolutely no charm to this place. If you want a quiet beach, there are so many other good choices elsewhere on Ko Tao.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank YearinThailand
Reviewed 9 September 2010

This resort has a wide range of rooms.
The restaurant is one of the best I have eaten in in Thailand
There is a private beach with white sand that is secluded. There are trees growing on the water front so there is a lot of shade.
The bay is very shallow so kids can play safely in the water with out risk of drowning

On the down side the resort is not well maintained with some litter around though not so much as to make you feel it is dirty or to obscure how beatiful the location is.
The resort is on a hill 10 min of a difficult walk to the center of choklum so if you are with kids it is difficult to get around
During Jul-Aug low tide is in the morning and the bay can get completely dray. Also during this time there is the south western monsoon which means all the south west coast of the island get most wind and rain while the north eastern parts are a bit more protected

All and all the charm of this place is in my opinion amazing

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Stayed here for one night in May 2010 as the place I wanted to stay was full (heaven resort).

Took a bay view room with AC for 1300. Sunset view rooms on tip of headland are 500 baht more.

Room was very basic, just a bed and table really. Development of these bungalows very unsympathetic and also not very safe looking either.

AC wasn't working so they sent some kid to mess around with fusebox!? I asked them to fix it while I was out as I didn't want to wait around.

Went out to exceelent rasta bar for drunks and dinner. Came back at 11, no staff anywhere in hotel and all electricity out. Treacherous walk along thin concrete catwalk out to room. Ended up having to sleep in 35 degree heat with windows open wishing for sea breeze that never came, shared the night with 20 mosquito and a wild cat. One of worst nights if my life.

Only saving thing is that manager, who wax foreign, (german I think?), gave me my money back without me even asking.

electricity wasn't out on any of other sites on the beach btw. Never got an explanation but didn't hang around long for one. After that night went straight to pier to get ferry back to phangan, I know it's just one nifty but it put me off koh Tao for good!

Maybe someday I'll go back to koh tao but I will never go within sight of this hellhole again.