“best view for little money”

Taatoh Resort & Freedom Beach Resort
Ranked #46 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Brussels, Belgium
“best view for little money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

This is resort which can offer a option for each budget. We stayed in a wooden bungalow with fan, with a magnificent view on the ocean. Price was 700 bath, however you can choose to stay in more expensive and luxurious bungalows. They have a very nice beach bar with perfect view on freedom beach and friendly personal. Don't let you scare off by the bad service of the staff at the reception, you only need them for your checkin, as koh tao is just far niente :-).

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Lille, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

First we booked a taxi from the pier to the hotel. After 15 min waiting we decided to take an other taxi. When we checked in i notified this mistake to the manager (a lady) and instead of apologise she looked at her staff and just said "you forgot them..." and they laughed !!
I couldn't beleive it ! i was very upset. Then we've been to the room. A very litle room facing the sea and all the rubish they don't want to clean. The bed was not confy and you have to pay to get more toilet paper ???? this is the first time that i've been asked to pay for it....Then we decided to relax on the beach. I saw some plastics botles in the midle of the beach (it's impossible to not see it). I ask to a staff who was doing....nothing...if someone will be cleaning and he told me:" the sea will do it..." i was so chocked..the next days the plastic botles were still on the beach and the staff was still doing nothing. In the evening, as we were very tired, we decided to eat at the restaurant. We had to wait 10 minutes for the staff (they were ALL watching TV) to take our order. I really had the feeling that we were disturbing them.
To sum up: dirty and not comfy rooms, VERY RUDE STAFF, no environemental consideration, bad service...
For all those reasons and some others i will definitely NOT RECOMMEND this hotel !

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Bogota, Colombia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I just want there in june. The room T5 very beautifull view but we plan to stay for 6 days but we move after 2 days because the girl in the reception not very nice. We paid 600 Baths for the nights when we decided to move the receptionnist ask 200 baths more par night. And the taxi you need to paid 400 baths to the pier and 600 baths another place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

This resort has a really beautiful location, with good snorkelling in the lagoon right in front of the cottages. We stayed in the family beachfront house and one of the seafront bungalows. Both are very standard. The family room was in better condition than the seafront bungalow and was perfectly clean and comfortable. The seafront bungalow has a nice setting right on the rocks but was quite worn out and wasn't very clean. The service was generally pretty poor. The food was ok but there are lots of other good restaurants nearby on chalok. Despite these negatives we actually really enjoyed our stay there and found it very relaxing. I would recommend it mainly for the location, but don't expect too much of the rooms and don't pay too much. The frustration is that with better management it could be a fantastic resort!

• Stayed December 2012
gold coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

This resort lets itself down big time.the room has no fridge the bed is so uncomfortable.the windows had louvres missing so when it rains the water comes in .the staff are not friendly at all.we came back at 9.30 at night and all the lights were all off in the foyer and no lighting down the very steep stairs.When we ordered cooked breakfast half the items were not available.
I would not recommend to anybody especially any body with any physical impairments.
If you young young and rubbery and don't mind springs sticking into your back then go for it !,,

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

The views are great for what it is. The bay itself isn't the best. It's a very shallow lagoon that when you walk in the sand the mud smells but if you stay at a great place its not so bad. The staff are very unhelpful and hardly present. The rooms are run down and need a make over. The pictures are misleading. It seems like it has become a hang out to the staff and their children rather than a hotel. It is a bit out of town but the peace and quiet can be nice. I wouldn't recommend it as its over priced. Just next door is a far greater hotel with a pool etc. we had lunch there and it was well organized and efficient. I would recommend it as the better choice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa D
Bangor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

I realise the 700baht is actually only about £14 and so is considerably cheaper than anything in the UK, however speaking comparatively for thailand, this is more expensive and I ended up going here as it was all I could find online and I had the intention to stay just for a few nights and find somewhere closer to the main villages.
I had asked for a taxi pck-up from the pier that never arrived and had to pay 300 baht for a taxi.
When I got there I was shown to the bungalow which was very picturesque, with a view over the lagoon.
The only plus side was that the advertised 'cold shower' was in fact a hot shower.

Everything else was awful.

The whole hut was filthy, the electric cuts out a lot, the bed may as well have been a wooden floor, but with the added pleasure of broken sprigs and so when I checked out I had a very attractive cut down my leg, which when I tried to explain to the lady on reception when I checked out she gave me a vague nod and smile, so I assume she had no idea what I was saying.

The beach was rubbish, to shallow to swim, but good for kids I guess.
wouldn't go again, wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family