“Lovely setting amongst pathways along the sea”

Taatoh Resort & Freedom Beach Resort
Ranked #48 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 14 December 2013

we stayed at Freedom beach for two nights in our beach hut overlooking the sea. The view was amazing. The room a good size with a balcany around the hut. the huts are set away from each other up hills overlooking the bay. Lynn and Sam warwick

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed here for six nights. The beach, the view and all the surroundings were nice. The bungalow was also good. Except all the cockroaches. Hu. I had loads of them, but of course that is not the resort's fault. It is nature. But if I were the staff, I would have helped a lonely and really scared girl with the problem. They gave me a cockroach spray can, but I did not fancy entering my bathroom because I had around 80 "friends" in there. Well, I had to. I was trying to get help from the staff, but they said that I had to do it myself and "just sweep them away when they are dead". So I did my first cockroach murders. After the massacre, when I had to sweep the corpses away, I kind of freaked out. Could not do it. So I went back to the reception and begged and begged and FINALLY they came to help me. The man who helped me screamed a bit when he saw the animals, so I guess the cockroaches usually don't live there?
About the staff: two of them were ok. One waiter and one of the persons who collected rubbish/helped out with mosquito nets etc. The rest was quite rude. An example – when I arrived 05 in the morning, I went to the reception with my huge backpack (I am a small person, and I think it is hard to take the backpack on and off all the time so I left it on). Started waiting. Around ten persons sat in the restaurant watching tv and hanging around. I didn't know that they were all working at the resort, and one of them just pointed at me and sighed "falang" and continued doing nothing. After 20 minutes one of them left this chair and helped me, without smiling. Maybe that is normal, but I am not used to that kind of treatment (not because I am a demanding snob, just because I treat every person I meet nicely). Does the resort sound awful? It is not. The food is very good and clean. The food service is super fast. The coconut shakes are to die for. And the restaurant's vegetarian options are good and many.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2013

we loved this location because it was away from everything but was still only a 10 min cab into the town for dinner or shopping - it was very tranquil and felt like a real tropical getaway. The food in the restaurant was exceptional- we could go again in a heartbeat

Room Tip: all the little villas were great- there was one that was perfect for 4 pp- each couple had their own...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We booked for two nights here after the full moon party to detox and relax. That is exactly what we did.
During the October months the tide is high meaning the only place you will get sand to sunbath without worrying about the sea touching your toes is this resort and it's beach!
We are on a tight budget and got the cheapest bungalow 700B. Gorgeous view and bungalow was a standard wooden shack but did the trick. Bathroom was clean however didn't have a door.
Beware of the Mosquitos they are monsters here!!
Staff arnt too friendly but easy enough to get along with and order food and taxi. Think they are just too laid back rather than rude.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Island was very full so didn't have many places to pick from around Chalok Baan. But this was easily the worst experience of our trip. A promised pick up from the village was 50min late, the place is far away from the village and they want to charge you from 100b to 200b for one way depending on their mood. Ferry tickets sold by the resort are standard price but don't include a transport to the pier, unlike everywhere else it seems. Rooms are overpriced with no decent locks on the doors and ours did not have a balcony. Lots of mosquitoes bites of some sort even with the aircon. Bungalows maybe better value but all the rubbish around them doesn't look nice.

Seems like the management just doesn't care. So, it has "rip off" written all over.

Delicious cocktails by the beach bar during happy hour!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Plus: the view (if u book sea view room)
The air con is quiet and effective
Minus: rooms are dated and falling apart
Noisy bed, leaking sink, mouldy curtains, very firm bed, poorly looked after resort with lots of rubbish everywhere.
Sadly the beach was also dirty and the water not ver clear.
A disappointing stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 11 August 2013

If you want a fancy hotel, this isn't the place. But if you'd like a nice vacation spot with good food, try it out.

Just a little work on these bungalows and the surrounding property, and this would be a great place to stay. Really nice views, good food, great snorkelling... but then there are wires hanging everywhere, access to the beach is a little difficult, and there was a young girl (one of the manager's children) who was fairly persistent in screaming through several of our meals. The hotel is difficult to access, and a simple walkway to get to town would do wonders.

But for the price, a pretty good deal. Just a few fixes, and we would stay here regularly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple