“Great view but that's it!!!”

Family Tanote Bay Resort
Ranked #55 of 79 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Moved to Tanote family bay for few days, at the begining i thought it's the perfect place: beautiful simple bungalows on the bay, great beach and quite atmoshpere. What i wasn't expecting was the worst service you can dream of. And it's just the waiter that doesn't give a care if you need something or even just smile and say good morning or something, but it's everyone there. I had it when the owner himself shouted on my wife when she asked him why they don't change towels every day.
Even their restaurant which for some reason is rated high in Tripadvisor is hurrible. Simple and very basic meals. If you still stayed there for some reason don't eat there. It's even worthwhile to drive a minute or two to the hill top restaurants for a real tasty breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I love camping and I love roughing it - but I have to draw the line somewhere. I tried to find the charm in this place and appreciate the Mighty Mouse trash can or the weird bathroom mat with a big eared dog picture ... it just never happened. Most of these comments have to do with the quality of our room, which was a fan room. The AC rooms looked a lot nicer and most of these comments would probably be a lot different if we had an AC room.

Pros:
Excellent views with a relaxing hammock
A rotating fan that was fairly powerful
You are right on Tanote Bay which is one of my favorite places to snorkel.
The bathroom is useable but not fancy - the water temperature is whatever temperature the water is outside.

Cons:
There were ants trooping all over the towels when we first arrived. The ants never left and had a tendency to bite.
No mosquito net and here, you really, really need one. The screens on the windows are useless and the bed is lower than the windows by a good bit so you feel absolutely no ocean breeze at night while sleeping. Very poor design. The mosquitoes will eat you alive.
The food was not that good and over priced. I was amused that the fancy resort next door served cheaper coffee and desserts with far better service.
The snorkeling equipment is cracking, and there are hardly any useful pieces to choose from. If you bring your own snorkel gear that is obviously better quality - they will ask you multiple times if it is really yours or if it is theirs.
No one will offer to help with your bags, ever.
Our room light went out and we asked them to fix it. It was a wiring problem and it was never properly addressed. There were sparks when I tried to turn it back on and some smoke stained the wall. It was obviously a very dangerous fire hazard, but they didn't seem to care at all.
Unfortunately, to get the room at the price we were first quoted, we had to book for a few days (although that was not told to us when we checked ahead). We ended up having to use our headlamps at night to get around inside the room since they never fixed the light.

In sum, this place was cheap at 500 baht per night during the off season. But it was a total nightmare.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I arrived at Tanote bay and directly booked three nights at "Family Tanote Bay". I didn't have enough cash for the three nights, so the hotel manager allowed me to pay later when I have the chance to get to an ATM. This is the only nice thing I can say about the service. I was traveling alone and backpacking in Thailand, so I really don't expect any luxury. I was just looking for a quiet place at the end of my trip, so I chose Tanote bay (which is totally worth it). What I don't like is when people treat me in a way that you get the feeling you are just good enough to bring the money. The hotel manager was extremely unfriendly, on my last day he shouted at me! This is really far from anything what you could call customer service. They offer calling from the Hotel phone for 20 THB/minute. Note that even if you have a Thai no. you don't have a good connection from the bay. So I had to change my flight and was calling the Emirates service hotline. Of course if you do such a call, there is waiting on the line involved. The hotel manager did not understand why I was not speaking on the phone and forced me to hang up the phone. I told him I need to call again, I did it, but then he started shouting at me, that he needed the phone and I should hang up. I did not hang up because I was just about to receive the booking through the phone. All this lasted maybe max. 5 min. He said what happens to me and my flight is "my problem". That was his favorite sentence throughout my stay.
So, for the accommodation I had bungalow no. 40, it was new and very nice (expensive but for Koh Tao standards ok). The view was just great. The food is a bit below average, eat somewhere else for a better price.
I give this hotel only 2 stars, not because I was looking for comfort, but because to be shouted at is really the last thing you want from a holiday. There are other hotels in the bay that have much nicer staff, for the same price or even cheaper, I recommend to chose one of those.

Room Tip: Room no. 40 is superb! The best view on the bay!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tanita85
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Great location on Tanote bay... Rather simple rooms ... Not for those searching for comforts ... Nice hammocks on each room veranda and perfect view. Restaurant is simple and decent value. If you wish your room to be cleaned daily you have to ask for it. Two dive ships on the same beach. Taxi service to Mae Had for 100 baht pp and 150 to Sairee

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Had bungalow no. 14 for 800 baht a day (high season)
Overall very clean although they don't clean the rooms during your stay - pretty sure they do nowhere if you rent a bungalow. Disagree with previous reviews on the service. Very nice young staff who play the guitar in the evening. Sure they sit around if there is nothing to do and temperatures are above 30 degrees. The only reason i give that place an average rating is because the mirror in my bathroom was pretty disgusting. A woman would have passed on that. Try to get another bungalow (they also appear nicer from the outside) Also the food was a little more expensive and below average. Go somewhere else for dinner.
In general it is more a place for couples as there is nothing going on at night. However no problem to go with the scooter at nite to chalock or sari beach (20-25 min). The roads are better than previously described here (i managed drunk and without regularly going by scooter). If you want to see bad roads drive to mango bay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We went to saree beach first and was disgusted by the sewage and hoards of backpackers.
In low season, we were charged 600 bht instead of 800. The room had a fan and balcony- basic but adequate.
Food was a bit dodgy, both my wife and I got food positioning from here.
The bay and snorkelling was amazing, beautiful!!
The staff were generally cool, manager was really odd though.
Overall, I would recommend it however be prepared for expense but then that koh tao.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 2 July 2013

After our stay at " Freedom beach" with very bad hospitality we decide to move the place we want to TANOE BAY and stay in "Family Tanoe bay" managing by Myanmar citizen. Room 205 is really great with a beautiful view and gorgeous garden with good smell a flower . The hotel staff are very helpful and smiling always!

Thank you very much and hope to come back again in 4 months.

Room Tip: The best room for the beautiful view for me is 203, 205, 206, 207 and the one behing 204 is not yet...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple