“Great spot, good price, fine service.”

Family Tanote Bay Resort
Ranked #54 of 74 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Great spot, good price, fine service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I read some negative reviews about the service, but it seems like they got it straightened out. People were helpful and friendly and no problems. If you are looking for the white glove treatment go somewhere else, but for the price it was great. Tanote Bay is a fantastic location if you want peace and quiet and a super snorkel or dive spot.... Literally right in front of the bungalows I saw amazing fish and corals. We'll go back!

• Stayed January 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Koh Tao, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Dear travellers,
Having immediately fled from koh tao's chalok bay right after my arrival I settled down in the tanote bay. I cannot fully agree with the other reviewers who complained about tanote family. My little bungalow up the hill is extremely beautiful (nice wood work and new moskito nets in the windows etc.) And has a superb view. I think it is very much worth the money.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Chippenham, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

I've been to Thailand from north to south and various islands on 6 different trips, and in about 100 different hotels, and never have I stayed in a place as bad as this one. I'm happy with basic accommodation, but there are limits, and this place crossed the line. Bed was ridden with ants, the toilet still had the last residents urine in there, the sink was crawling with bugs, the shower was so weak that it was near enough impossible to clean in, there were holes in the mesh to stop insects getting into the room, I could go on for ever. And they didn't even make up for all that with good, friendly service. Very rude staff which seemed to mock us, talking about us and laughing quite blatantly. We had to pay for a minimum of 2 nights but by the second day after a very uncomfortable night's sleep on the disgusting bed we were happy to lose the second nights money and find somewhere else. I would not recommend anybody to stay here.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kalvbadboy

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Chippenham, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

My partner and I came to koh tao for the ending to our holiday in Thailand. We have stayed in basic places before and never minded..but this was terrible and expensive. The customer service is the worst I've seen. Rude and very lazy. They said we could only book two nights minimum. The room was dirty, infested with ants. The bathroom had no toilet paper and the shower just dribbled. The bed was that bad I even considered sleeping on the hammock outside. The restaurant was ran by teenagers who were rude and didn't know how to smile. They led around on the benches playing on there phones and looked at you in disgust when you ordered some food. We paid for two nights but got straight up in the morning at 7am and walked across the beach and rocks to find another place to stay. Booked in at Diamond hotel and lost our money at Tanote family bay resort.

• Stayed January 2014
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Moved to Tanote family bay for few days, at the begining i thought it's the perfect place: beautiful simple bungalows on the bay, great beach and quite atmoshpere. What i wasn't expecting was the worst service you can dream of. And it's just the waiter that doesn't give a care if you need something or even just smile and say good morning or something, but it's everyone there. I had it when the owner himself shouted on my wife when she asked him why they don't change towels every day.
Even their restaurant which for some reason is rated high in Tripadvisor is hurrible. Simple and very basic meals. If you still stayed there for some reason don't eat there. It's even worthwhile to drive a minute or two to the hill top restaurants for a real tasty breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I love camping and I love roughing it - but I have to draw the line somewhere. I tried to find the charm in this place and appreciate the Mighty Mouse trash can or the weird bathroom mat with a big eared dog picture ... it just never happened. Most of these comments have to do with the quality of our room, which was a fan room. The AC rooms looked a lot nicer and most of these comments would probably be a lot different if we had an AC room.

Pros:
Excellent views with a relaxing hammock
A rotating fan that was fairly powerful
You are right on Tanote Bay which is one of my favorite places to snorkel.
The bathroom is useable but not fancy - the water temperature is whatever temperature the water is outside.

Cons:
There were ants trooping all over the towels when we first arrived. The ants never left and had a tendency to bite.
No mosquito net and here, you really, really need one. The screens on the windows are useless and the bed is lower than the windows by a good bit so you feel absolutely no ocean breeze at night while sleeping. Very poor design. The mosquitoes will eat you alive.
The food was not that good and over priced. I was amused that the fancy resort next door served cheaper coffee and desserts with far better service.
The snorkeling equipment is cracking, and there are hardly any useful pieces to choose from. If you bring your own snorkel gear that is obviously better quality - they will ask you multiple times if it is really yours or if it is theirs.
No one will offer to help with your bags, ever.
Our room light went out and we asked them to fix it. It was a wiring problem and it was never properly addressed. There were sparks when I tried to turn it back on and some smoke stained the wall. It was obviously a very dangerous fire hazard, but they didn't seem to care at all.
Unfortunately, to get the room at the price we were first quoted, we had to book for a few days (although that was not told to us when we checked ahead). We ended up having to use our headlamps at night to get around inside the room since they never fixed the light.

In sum, this place was cheap at 500 baht per night during the off season. But it was a total nightmare.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I arrived at Tanote bay and directly booked three nights at "Family Tanote Bay". I didn't have enough cash for the three nights, so the hotel manager allowed me to pay later when I have the chance to get to an ATM. This is the only nice thing I can say about the service. I was traveling alone and backpacking in Thailand, so I really don't expect any luxury. I was just looking for a quiet place at the end of my trip, so I chose Tanote bay (which is totally worth it). What I don't like is when people treat me in a way that you get the feeling you are just good enough to bring the money. The hotel manager was extremely unfriendly, on my last day he shouted at me! This is really far from anything what you could call customer service. They offer calling from the Hotel phone for 20 THB/minute. Note that even if you have a Thai no. you don't have a good connection from the bay. So I had to change my flight and was calling the Emirates service hotline. Of course if you do such a call, there is waiting on the line involved. The hotel manager did not understand why I was not speaking on the phone and forced me to hang up the phone. I told him I need to call again, I did it, but then he started shouting at me, that he needed the phone and I should hang up. I did not hang up because I was just about to receive the booking through the phone. All this lasted maybe max. 5 min. He said what happens to me and my flight is "my problem". That was his favorite sentence throughout my stay.
So, for the accommodation I had bungalow no. 40, it was new and very nice (expensive but for Koh Tao standards ok). The view was just great. The food is a bit below average, eat somewhere else for a better price.
I give this hotel only 2 stars, not because I was looking for comfort, but because to be shouted at is really the last thing you want from a holiday. There are other hotels in the bay that have much nicer staff, for the same price or even cheaper, I recommend to chose one of those.

Room Tip: Room no. 40 is superb! The best view on the bay!