“A lovely place to stay.”

Family Tanote Bay Resort
Ranked #54 of 76 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
“A lovely place to stay.”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Having stayed in one or two places on tanote bay and viewing every place close to the shore, Family is our favourite. There's a range of different style villa's from the older, cheaper bamboo huts (tend to be a little higher) to the newer, more expensive bungalow's. Some have air con but boosts the price considerably. Most have hammocks and great views and are based in well maintained picturesque grounds. Seemed to have less unwanted guests / bugs compaired to the other side of the bay where we stayed higher up amongst the tree's. Staff seem to be willing to discount for a longer stay (may be a different case during peak season).
The restuarant isn't bad nor is it the greatest but have certainly enjoyed many meals there.
On the beach you have the choice of some sun loungers and hammocks in the shade of some pretty tree's just next to the sea. Great spot for watching the world go by.. Which doesn't usually consist off too much.. The friendly neighbouring germans at calypso taking people out for a dive and then staff at Family enjoying a game of football in the evening. I prefer this quieter side of the bay as its less close to where people tend to park and arrive on day trips to tanote bay.
The staff are friendly. Perhaps takes a little while for them to "get to know you" and return smiles but we have felt very welcome here and will be sad to leave. There are a lot of staff but fewer speak good english. Some interesting characters (one imparticular probably mentioned in other reviews. Could be fooled by the harsh exterior but wait for the giggles during the football on the beach). all are willing to help one way or another, may refer you to one of the better english speakers. Staff Seem to enjoy their work and time spent amongst each other helping to create a good atmoshpere.
Location wise Tanote bay is my favourite place on koh tao.
Its beautiful, quiet and has fantastic snorkeling right on your "door step" or straight from the sand. Just enough restuarants to add a little variety to your dining but really Only a little and probably just enough. There's no 7 eleven or shops. The road to town is steep and rugged, in parts unfinished so if we need something from town we tend to opt for taking one of the time tabled taxi's for 100baht per person each way rather than risk the climb on a scooter.
Day trips, taxi's and ferrys can be arranged at reception. Wifi's a little unreliable but free.
Today is our last day here.. We Said that yesterday..

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank josephi draws

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

The only reason we stayed at this place was to do diving at the nearby school who suggested the resort. Let's be honest the term resort is used a bit loosely. The first day we arrived we had to wait for someone to attend to the reception , upon check in we were given no useful information and no assistance carrying our bags to the rooms. The entire place is built on a hill so there are numerous stairs.

Lucky we did not kind but I can't imagine what families of people with heavy bags would do! The staff were minimally helpful, when we got to our room our main light was not working. When we asked about it someone was sent to fix it which he did by using a knife into a light switch! And then he told us to do the same if the light died again-!! I asked to switch rooms and he told us there were no more...
Any enquiries we had were met with rudeness a lot of the time in the main restaurant and the same went for other people that stayed here. A little bit of customer service goes a long way! On the last day while I was diving they moved our bags out of our room and locked us out. I found this the height of rudeness as at no point in the entire morning while I was in the dining area and reception did any of their staff approach us to tell us they needed the room and when check out was. When I spoke to the owner he said 'READ THE SIGN!' And proceeded to lecture me on how on how he felt he was being disrespected. At this point I told him we were the ones who were kicked out like riff raff, as soon as they have your money they are not interested. To which he said I should learn to speak to him with more respect otherwise he would not give me a towel to have a shower. Absolutely ridiculous ! I have travelled in many places and this is the worst customer service I have ever seen. Some of the other staff are nice but you can tell they are scared of this man who I assume is the manager and walks around in a bad mood which he does not hesitate to share with the customers. We were not the only ones to complain in fact the day we left a family was checking out into the next door montalay resort, which I hear is much nicer - because they had given them laundry which had come back all the same colour...a pinkish hue. When they complained they were told it was their fault even though the colour had not come from any of their clothes. All in all I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Liz O

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Broome, Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Where do I start??
We got conned into getting two double beds when one double or two singles were enough for two of us. Lying by omission. When we knew for sure that a double bed for half the price had become available we were not allowed to change rooms.
Staff are very rude and unhelpful. Everything is a very difficult undertaking for them. They will let you know that you are inconveniencing them as they continue to ignore you and play on their phones etc.
Got kicked out of our room without proir notice. Left my roommate outside while I was out diving. Food is poor standard. Muesli and fruit for brekkie for 3 days in a row toavaoid the western brekkie mess.
Very aggressive manager who seems to want to pick a fight with everyone. Another family also forfeitted their paid nights stay to move to the resort next door.
DO NOT STAY HERE. Cant rate it a zero so 1 will do

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Josie O
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed at Family Tanote Bay Resort for 2 nights. You can only reach the hotel by pick up taxi as the bay is on the eastern coast of Ko Tao. Also, you have no chance to climb the steep streets to the hotel unless you want to do a 2 hour hike.
The location is beautiful, but this does not mean that the hotel does not have to pay attention to their rooms and service level. The room has been a bit shabby, the mirrors were "blind", furniture was very old and A/C is way too expensive, considering that you stay in a fan room but only get the control device for the A/C. The view from the room was stunning, you could oversee the whole bay, and the beach is very nice, too.
Breakfast was below average - you'd be served much better with Thai breakfast than with the western choice. Other food was ok, but as said, the service is so low (no smile, not a single word of thanks, bored personnel) that we decided to go to other restaurants in the bay for the rest of our stay.
OK for a few nights, but don't go there for longer...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Your M
London
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Excellent location for chilling out away from the crowds. Although the roads to get there involve a massive steep hill , quite a testing walk/scooter ride back to town. Take a look around the bungalows before you sign up so you can choose the best one! Some have incredible views over the bay. The food at the hotel restaurant is decent. Although pop next door to Mango bay hotel for all you can eat western breakfast (the only western meal I miss!) Being a small bay options for dining a bit limited.
The staff were helpful, and local dive school nice and laid back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I read some negative reviews about the service, but it seems like they got it straightened out. People were helpful and friendly and no problems. If you are looking for the white glove treatment go somewhere else, but for the price it was great. Tanote Bay is a fantastic location if you want peace and quiet and a super snorkel or dive spot.... Literally right in front of the bungalows I saw amazing fish and corals. We'll go back!

• Stayed January 2014
Koh Tao, Thailand
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Dear travellers,
Having immediately fled from koh tao's chalok bay right after my arrival I settled down in the tanote bay. I cannot fully agree with the other reviewers who complained about tanote family. My little bungalow up the hill is extremely beautiful (nice wood work and new moskito nets in the windows etc.) And has a superb view. I think it is very much worth the money.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo