“Very very disappointed !! ”

Koh Tao Regal Resort
Ranked #45 of 77 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here as a break from our hotel in cha am. We booked it on booking.com and we went all out paying £140 for an ocean view room. When booking it said we had a spa bath, bath robes and a free mini bar.. Yes all sounds exiting ..until we got there. The hotel is in much need of renovation we were taken up to our room and first impression was yeh it looks great, until looking closely we had stains on our covers, sand all over the tables, the spa bath was all cracked and had stains in it and to top it of it didn't work, no hot water, a huge tree in our view, the staff were rude, two bottles of water was our free mini bar, no robes, it's slacking paint, the beach wasn't the best, the pool chairs were uncomfortable, the restaurant I never bothered trying and builders next to the hotel made it noisy. We went to complain but all they could do was clean it, I'd stupidly paid before asking to see the room ,very annoyed. I wouldn't mind staying here but to pay the price I did for what we didn't get is disgusting and false advertisement. My partner also broke a cup by accident and when checking out they tried to charge me for it when I definitely wasn't paying for and the manager refused to come out and see me herself. I never complain and this is the first time I've ever done this so please take my advise if you want to stay here please do but make sure you don't get ripped of like I did.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sophie C
There are newer reviews for Koh Tao Regal Resort

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel is in need of a total renovation. It is very run down, dirty and poorly renovated.

We booked a room with pool view, although we could spot the pool most of the view looked like a disposal dump/construction-site. I am not exaggerating (see the pictures).
The bathroom was horrible (see the pictures). The drain was rusty, the shower head was broken (squirting all over the bathroom), spiderwebs and dirt all over, the tiles was broken and there is very poor light. After a shower the entire bathroom was completely wet.

The staff is friendly tough. They got us a new room with an actual pool view, but the room had the same problems as the previous room.

The pool is filled with diving schools most of the day, so it`s not a relaxing pool area, and it`s not good for swimming.

Maybe bad luck, but we could not connect to internet during our 2 night-stay.

Only upside to this hotel is a friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MixMartin
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Loved our stay here we went from 3 nights to 7 as we liked the hotel so much! Very clean, pool was amazing, located right on the beach and near to everything lovely staff! I read before I went that restaurant staff were rude however I didn't find this!! Their English wasn't as good as some other staff! Great bar and lovely lady working at the bar very friendly! A lot of families and couples here however still had a great time am booking my return trip and would recommend to everyone :)

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We spent 2 nights here in March and we were hoping for nice rooms where we could feel relaxed. When we got there, the hotel seemed a little unkept. Our room looked like an office that was converted into a hotel room. There were blinds that covered the window into the bathroom. These blinds had spiderwebs and dust stuck all over. The bathroom had obviously not been cleaned for who knows how long. There was building in the shower, mold above the shower , and our sink had actual chunks of dirt and hair in it. It was very gross. Each night, my boyfriend and I would spend about 15 mins killing Mosquitos in the room. There seemed to be about 15 each night.
The first day we got there, we had lunch at their restaurant. First of all, we were brought out the wrong food for half the orders (could have just been the language barrier), and secondly, the pad thai noodles tasted undercooked and were very chewy.
There was also a large family (about 25 people) who were staying at the hotel. The younger ones would stay up until 5 am partying and yelling by the pool which kept us up most the night. The hotel claimed to have asked them to go to their rooms, but I doubted that as they did that both nights and it did not end.
The only good thing about this hotel was that it was close to the ferry/town which made it easy to get food and walk around. However, since there are many other hotels in that area that are just as closer, if not closer, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Erinn H
Reviewed 17 March 2014

An excellent hotel right at the beach of Mae Hat, Koh Tao.
Rooms are clean and well serviced. We booked the ocean view room, and is was exactly like the pictures showed. An amazing view over the beach and ocean. Spacious room, excellent bathroom and always warm water available.
The staff was really friendly and we could have our breakfast wrapped for take away, in order to make it to the dive school on time in the morning.
Just a short walk to Mae Hat restaurants or to Sairee beach side restaurants.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor for a better view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights in Feb, she was doing a diving course with Crystal Dive School. The location for the dive school was great 5 mins walk and as the courses start very early in the morning it was perfect. If you do not want to dive there are far better places to stay, don't get me wrong the rooms were satisfactory clean, big with working aircon. The pool is nice however the sunbeds are very uncomfortable and there is a lot of building work going on next door which is noisy. However the so called beach isn't really much of anything other than an area of sand just down from the pier. Koh Tao has some beautiful beaches such as Ao Leuk and Tanote Bay. Mango Bay is also nice but very hard to get to unless you get a boat or climb over rocks. Sairee beach is ok but busy and not very deep. If you're happy renting a moped or getting taxis to town I'd recommend staying at Tanote Bay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank hannahmcmaria
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

This was defiantly worth the money. The only negative things were there was building work going on so it wasn't as relaxing as it could have been, also the staff in the restaurant were not very friendly. Would not recommend eating at the restaurant. The beach is beautiful, we had a pool room view and it was amazing, the rooms were very spacious too. The reception staff were very helpful when we checked out our boat wasn't until 9pm and they let us use a room to shower In. It is about a 10 minute taxi ride to saree beach where all the night life is, the only thing coming back at night the taxi drivers double their prices. Would defiantly recommend this hotel to family and friends

• Stayed: February 2014