la Cigale
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$442
US$398
  • Breakfast included
US$71
US$64
Koh Tao Simple Life Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$64
US$50
  • Breakfast included
Pinnacle Koh Tao Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$51
US$47
Agoda.com
Haadtien Beach Resort(Koh Tao)
US$209
US$196
US$70
US$65
US$113
US$90
Agoda.com
Ban's Diving Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$48
US$46
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
In Touch Resort & Restaurant(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$27
US$26
Hotels.com
US$176
US$81
Trip.com
All reviewstwin villagarden villarock villasairee beachespresso machinegreat breakfast optionspleasure of stayingown mealsgreat bars and restaurantsloved our stayprivate spaceoutdoor showerhammock on the balconyexploring the islandshort walkmobile phonethree nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Better late than never, we're already back from our stay for 3 months, but just wanted to add this review! We had a great great stay at La Cigale. The villa's are amazing, really relaxing and with all the comfort you need. In our villa we really got the 'stay at home away from home' feeling.

This feeling was made possible also by our great host Andre, who made is us feel right at home and gave us a warm welcome. He was always there for help, changing something in the house, for information etc. He really made our stay.

Well, all we can say is: If you really looking for a good luxury place. which makes you feel you're at home, don't hesitate and choose La Cigale!

With warm regards from Amsterdam

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We decided to go to Koh Tao for the diving and snorkeling but were after majestic scenery and weren't really interested in the night life or surrounding ourselves with other Westerners after being on Koh Samui. For that fact it was lovely to be up above Sairee Beach.

Andre was indeed very helpful as the other reviews suggest and he even gave us a mobile phone after checking in with his number programmed in.

While the place is absolutely unique - we stayed in the Twin Villa - with its outdoor bathroom in particular, we felt the price was a bit steep compared to the rest of the island for what you get. There is a kitchen but there were no sharp knives and no kitchen towel to wipe your hands. When we arrived there were even dishes still sitting in the drainer. The magazines inside the main bedroom were very old and there was nothing specific to Koh Tao. We have advised Andre and I am sure he will rectify this as he is keen to develop his magical piece of paradise (so I am sure this will be taken care of before the next guests).

It is true that the walk to the beach is short - especially because you can cut through the Cabana resort - and Andre explained this when we arrived. You can also rent a motor bike off him for a reasonable amount of money..be careful though as the one we had didn't have the best lights and had an almost empty tank when we hoped on!

For those that do not like to share their life with bugs this is definitely NOT the place to be. The mosquitos here were huge - flying horses - and they were prominent at dusk and dawn. You can close down the villa doors during this time but that really defeats the beauty and magic of this property. Bring some bug repellent.

Overall we felt this place was very unique and if you plan to hang in Sairee and want a different experience away from the crowds this is your place. If you are looking for a bit of luxury or even value for money - not. We ended up over on the other side of the island and were much happier but then again we weren't after the nightlife.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alisummers1
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My fiancé and I stayed here for 4 nights as our last stop in Thailand. Andre is the man and went outnof his way to ake sure our stay here was fantastic and easy, which is what I look for when I am booking a place to stay in another country. We stayed in the twin villa and it is an absolutely beautiful building overlooking the beach with a lovely bedroom and kitchen. At first I thought the loction was a bit far after speeding a week on another island with my feet in the water off our balcony, but I had to say that I loved that la cigale was a bit removed from the beach and the hecticness of sairee. We slept so well at la cigale and given the fact that it rained a few days while we were here it was very nice to have such a nice "home" to hang out in and watch movies and rugby world cup. I was very happy with our choice to stay at la cigale, Andre and his staff were second to none and the "walk" to the beach was less than 5 minutes. I acdtually timed our walks from our door to downtown sairee and it was 12-15 minutes tops. Perfect for walking off a nice dinner or a few drinks......will also tell you to check our barracuda restaurant if you can....awesome

Thanks Andre, we will be back!!!!!

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Friend of mine had contact the room for 2 nights and let us know the name is " LaCigale " so after that two guys ( Friend n' my BF ) got checked the room as they all like it or not ? ...Well, they came back with smiley face so it mean we had got it . La Cigale room was very nice , wide,very quiet, special naturally ROCK interior as we fell in love with it , and the good memoried word by The Owner "ANDRE" said to my BF WelcomeToKohTao" as very impressed because our first time there ^_^ So, all the area in the villa you all can feel like you were in the forest and especially you can feel Flashback like the year on 1998-1999 ..im sure you guys will love it like us at all . Also thank you so much to sister "NId" & "ANDRE " you both great so kind , had taking good care to all of us .THX SO MUCH AND TRY TO BE THERE AGAIN NEXT YEAR :))xX

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank dada s
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I shared the Twin Villa at La Cigale with two friends while on Koh Tao for a week of diving (with the excellent Scuba Junction about 15-20 minutes walk away down Sairee beach). Andre and Nun have created a lovely little boutique hide-away tucked into the jungle - you're only a short walk from Sairee beach and all the restaurants, dive schools, bars and cafes of Sairee village, but at the same time you have a peaceful and very private retreat to chill out in. As others have mentioned, although Sairee is a pretty quiet and laid-back village the noise from some of the beachfront bars at night can be incredibly loud - we could still hear it faintly from our villa up on the hill so I wouldn't have fancied trying to get a decent night's sleep anywhere much closer to town. The villas are in a lovely, natural setting and feel very private.

Andre is great, very helpful, laidback and welcoming, with lots of good recommendations provided for places to eat etc, and very accommodating - late check-out was no problem at all, ferry tickets were arranged for us, and a mobile phone was provided, pre-programmed with useful numbers, so we could get hold of him at any time if we needed to. Welcoming drinks of fresh coconut milk were a nice touch!

To be honest as we were diving pretty much every day of our stay we tended to be out all day and only return late after dinner so we didn't spend a huge amount of time in our villa but I thought it was nicely designed, well appointed, and the little deck with chairs, hammock and view out over the bay was lovely. I loved the outdoor rainforest bathroom and thought it was beautiful although my friends said they got bitten by mozzies quite a lot in there and weren't as keen! To be honest, whenever I've stayed on Thai islands, no matter how nice the accommodation, you will be sharing your room with geckos and the odd creepy-crawly at times - as for mozzies I didn't find them bothersome except briefly each evening at dusk.

I would recommend walking along the beach and then cutting up through Koh Tao Cabana resort and Golden Cape bungalows to La Cigale, rather than walking along the main road to Sairee - pick-up truck taxis and scooters go fast along the road and not everyone who hires a scooter will be the safest (or soberest) of drivers. Andre provides a small torch in the villa which can come in handy when walking home late at night. Taxis home from Sairee or Mae Haad were usually around 300 baht per trip (for 3 people) - we walked into town most days but usually took a taxi back, the last stretch of hill is really steep and can feel like a bit much especially after a big meal and a few drinks! Scuba Junction, like many of the dive schools in Sairee, can provide a free taxi pick-up service to La Cigale - useful if you're diving on the morning boat and need to be there for 7:30.

Our villa had a well-equipped kitchen and Andre provides menus for several restaurants that will deliver, but we ate out every night in Sairee or Mae Haad - recommended are Whitening in Mae Haad, Fizz on Sairee beach, Portobello, and the BBQ at Sairee Cottage. New Heaven Cafe in Sairee has great breakfast options although service is painfully slow.

Only a couple of very minor niggles - there is free wifi but it doesn't reach the Twin Villa. There were no safes in the villa to lock up valuables which would have been good, especially as the door to the sala villa doesn't lock. I think the Twin Villa is fine for 2 or 3 friends travelling together but not sure it would be ideal for 4 people really - the sofa-bed in the sala is not that big and although it was okay for me, anyone taller than about 5'6" would probably find their feet would hang off the end! You might want to be aware that the bedroom villa is air-conditioned but the sala villa only has a fan - although to be honest I found that was more than adequate.

Overall I thought La Cigale was lovely and good value for money. There seems to be a shortage of places on Koh Tao that fall into a mid-range between the really basic 200 baht per night backpacker bungalows and the extremely expensive high-end resorts - if you're looking for more of a 'flashpacker' experience I would recommend La Cigale.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends