“professional dive operation, but incredibly busy”
Review of Big Blue Diving

Big Blue Diving
Ranked #4 of 92 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of Koh Tao's longest established Dive Centers offerring a full range of Scuba Diving Courses from Open Water to Scuba Instructor. Also specialists in Freediving, Technical Diving, Instructor Training & professional Underwater Videography and able to teach in all major languages & all courses including PADI, SSI, BSAC & TDI. Big Blue Diving, Koh Tao also offers FREE accommodation on days spent diving in shared AC dorms making it the most affordable dive center in the world! While also offering private AC bungalows on the beach as well as basic old skool style backpacker bungalows on the beach for those who'd rather pay a little extra for privacy. Awarded numerous prizes from all diving organisations & travel agencies & websites Big Blue Diving is everybodys favourite dive center.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Ottawa, Canada
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“professional dive operation, but incredibly busy”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a major training center. If you are going for a recreational dive, you will have to put up with all the people on dive courses. We were out on a boat with about 30 other divers, each divided into groups of 4 or 5 people. They staff at Big Blue are definitely well organized and possibly due to all the training courses, very safety conscious. And they want you to see lots underwater.

The quality of the underwater viewing was less then was we expected, and visibility wasn't that great.

Also, because of the large number of dive operations, and large number of people training, every dive site is very crowded. looking at our pictures all we see are bubbles from other divers in them, above and below us.

Visited June 2014

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great place to train - some of the best best diving !”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Great place to train. I did my 3 day open water diving licence here. The instructors were helpful and reassuring. There is a theory side to things as well which made everything easy to understand. Then the best part was diving ! The dive spots are just beautiful some of the best in the world. Loved this !

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Monty2802
“Big Blue Diving is epic”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Initially I had difficulty learning to dive since I found it daunting to simultaneously grasp all the skills required. But later Big Blue managed to assign me a personal dive instructor, Mike. He made the learning curve more gradual so that it perfectly suited me and gave really insightful tips. All the folks at Big Blue are chilled out and fun to hang out with. I had an amazing time spending 5 nights at Koh Tao and getting my Open Water diving licence :)

Golden, Colorado
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“WELL ORGANIZED, Safe, Fun!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My trip to Ko Tao was eclipsed by the expiry of my Thai visa; however, I was able to get in FOUR dives with Big Blue! Their rep on the ferry boat was Very friendly, and went beyond his job description in relating info re his company and two others who also had reps on the ferry. He also 'softly' guided a Spanish speaking couple which dive shop could best accommodate their language needs. I thought I was going to go with BANS--- I had serendipitously met two of their Instructors while waiting between train and ferry.... and in the end, decided that BANS was "just too big." ( I remembered that on Phuket I had chosen a small co, who used other co's dive boats, and was SO pleased with their personal attention! )
BIG BLUE arose to my expectations (not a great thing to have: expectations decrease joy") !!
The Boat Master for the 2 morning dives was Carly -- who also happened to be our Dive Master for the FunDives. She was exceptional underwater, and so helpful on-board! She provided help or ideas or encouragement without a word from me-- she was there when I was not looking for her or for help--- THANKS, CARLY!! Underwater, she was of course calm, yet kept the pace 'just so,' so that we never bunched up or were strung out. Onshore, she offered her personal locker for stowing my cash, as I was without a lock for my own locker. Carly is friendly, without being 'in your face' or pushy-- She's an effortless Sweetie!
Steven was the BoatMaster for the two afternoon dives, and also the DiveMaster for our FunDives. He labels and markets himself as "the Best Dive Master on KoTao." He certainly has an extensive grasp and knowledge of the underwater fauna, and locations for various creatures : ) He's definitely got a unique sense of humor, which is fun, and is readily helpful, keeping an eye out for 'possibilities' -- be it re the inventory of the boat, directing the assistants or mentors, or the potential needs of his clients.
BIG BLUE is SUPER! I will DEFINITELY use them again when I return to KT!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank LightSplash
Deutschland
“Great experience!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

My Girlfriend and me have done a Discovery Dive with this Organisation. Lotte was our Instructor and she turned out to be a really good one!
First of all: the booking was easy and the whole staff is very friendly.
They introduced us to the world of diving and explained us the skills we needed for the trip.
Our first dive started at a beach in shallow water and Lotte practiced the skills for diving (clearing out the mask, putting the mouthpiece back etc.) with us, so we could get confident with the equipment.
After that we started to go deeper and she always asked us whether we were okay. My girlfriend had some problems with her mask as it was leaking and panicked a little bit. Lotte even gave her her own mask and calmed her down. She did a great job as she knew, that my girlfriend was just scared, but still able to go diving. She took her hand, calmed her down and finally made her enjoy the whole dive!
After getting known to the equipment and the world underwater the second dive was just so so much fun!

We can highly recommend this organisaton. You'll have a great time with them, they will take care and give you any time you need.