“Best place on Koh Tao”

Sairee Cottage Resort
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Having spent a lot of time on this island i wouldn't recommend anywhere else! I had the most special time at this resort! The staff are fantastic and so kind and helpful. Both my parents have joined me on separate occasions and enjoyed fantastic holidays at Sairee Cottage! The diving is amazing, the diving staff are incredibly safe and trustworthy and trained. Having trained with them on numerous courses i wouldn't go anywhere else on the island or anywhere else in the world, i trust them with my life! The Divemasters and the Instructors know what they are doing and know the dive sites very well. (ask for Neil, Bear or Danny) There is an amazing environment in the dive shop, where you can have fun but know you are safe and being looked after at the same time. The dive shop equipment is extensive and have every size which is difficult to find when you have small feet. The restaurant is FANTASTIC! Don't go anywhere else on the island for a BBQ, they are by far the best! The staff at the restaurant are very welcoming and speak AMAZING English. i recommend the BBQ squid. Defiantly try the massage parlor, the manicures are fantastic! All in all the best place i have come across in, my travels and will definitely come back again and again!

Room Tip: I had a standard room with a cold shower and fan, which is all you need on a breezy island such as t...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Sairee Cottage Resort

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I've been to Koh Tao twice now, 2010 and 2011. Both times I've stayed in Sairee Cottage. Last year we had one of the bungalows on the beach and wow it was amazing, waking up to that view every morning was magical. The restaurant food is just out of this world, George and Nan really looked after us and aside from a couple of nights eating with friends outside we ate their every night (the red snapper baked with mango salsa is amazing). The resort is clean, staff are kind and the massage parlour is great (ask for Diamond, best massage in Thailand). I always recommend this resort to friends and FAMILY who all now have been there and love it also. My parents are going again this year having been there twice already. My boyfriend has also done his diving there and Chris and Barry really looked after him. Thank you to all the staff in Sairee Cottage for making everyone of our stays magical, special thanks to Nun and Trevor... Hopefully see you again soon

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed here 3 times at different stages during our year out travelling and loved everything. Couldn't think of anyway to fault the place. The rooms are very clean and reasonable, the restaurant offers a good choice and always has a good atmosphere (especially at sunset) and the dive team are really welcoming and friendly. So much so we have just booked to return this year!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I have just seen the review by Mathdiver and feel compelled to pick him up on a few things he has stated.

Point 1
“We went to Sairee cottage last december and our experience was horrible!
We got robbed and mugged. The hotel is participating to a local mafia robbing tourists that rent motobikes”

I stated on Koh Tao for around 4 weeks,
when asking about renting a scooter I was offered advice by Sairee cottage staff about which rental places to be wary of (its a nice little earner for some less scrupulous rental agencies is to find scratches that you never put there and try to charge accordingly upon return of scooter).
I rented from 2 places in my time on Koh Tao, (giving passport/hotel name both times)

• 1st place (without advice from Sairee Cottage) tried charging for nonexistent damage upon return.
• 2nd place (with recommendation from Sairee Cottage) rental with no problems.

From my experience and gut feeling I would disagree with this statement about Sairee cottage being in cahoots with the local scooter rental Mafia, they are sound helpful people who want to facilitate you having a good time whilst staying with them as this increases the chance of repeat trade and I would happily recommend them to my friends.
I never had any dealings with the police out there, but would hazard a guess that they have little cast iron proof of who is telling the truth (you or the scooter mafia)- that is not Sairee cottages fault is it?

• I got my shoes/bag nicked on Koh Phangnan (I put it down for a minute unattended)
• My friend got robbed when being dropped off at Sairee by scooter taxi (she was drunk/easy target).
If you are making it easier to be a victim of crime you increase the likelihood if it happening.
That is not Sairees fault.
It’s regrettable but true-tourists get robbed.

“On the diving part, they are also pretty unprofessional. they make you pay in advance a course or x fundives and then bring you 4-5 times on the exactly same site (nearby to save some money on the fuel) telling you that weather conditions do not allow going to other places (we checked other schools and they were going to other places...)”

Regards the diving at Sairee Cottage
They operate in smaller groups with a better instructor/student ratio than other dive schools, some of whom had twice as many students per instructor.
I had 4-5 fun dives and completed my advanced with Sairee cottage, they are professional without being stiff, easy going, relaxed and keen to help you get the most out of your diving time.
A few of the dive sites are within a couple of miles of each other and the options of the sites you visit can be affected by bad weather/wind/waves. I went to Chumphon pinnacle (well worth it, loads of fish/bull sharks) with Sairee and the swell was apparent even on a good day (previous attempts to visit had been cancelled due to weather).

I have no reservations recommending Sairee Cottage to others for Diving/accommodation
as they are a professional outfit that has the needs, enjoyment and safety of their dive students’ utmost in their minds at all times.

I would hazard a guess that Mathdiver felt angry about being robbed when he wrote his review but Sairee cottage cannot wave a magic wand and solve the crime of scooter company Mafiosi.

I will have no hesitation in staying or diving with Sairee Cottage when I return to Koh Tao again-
Something I am sure I will do largely due to the wonderful time I had there because of the charm and friendliness of the place and all the staff there above and below the waves.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ambrose89
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I am a restaurant owner on koh tao. I have lived there for 9 years. After reading the review of sairee cottage diving bellow in which the rather confused person (mathdiver) states the family are involved in the mafia, i had to write in. The family who operates the resort are some of the nicest people i have met on koh tao, with no connection to any scams or crime organisation, they don't rent bikes or give out personal information away, complete lies. The dive staff are professional and fun-loving and take pride teaching tourists to dive safely and with fun. Reviews such as this take all credibility away from trip advisor.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank DomWS
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I've been to Sairee Cottage twice now, In January 2012 and December 2010 and I've fallen in love with the place on both occasions. The accommodation ranges in price to suit your requirements, the basic accommodation is perfect if you don't want air con/hot shower and it's cheap. If you're a bit more precious or want to treat yourself, you can have all the extras for a little extra. The restaurant is one of the nicest on the strip, and it's busy all the time. The food is excellent and I found the staff all super friendly. The diving packages are also great value, I did my Open Water and Advanced plus a few fun dives, and really couldn't complain about anything. The instructors are all fab and really helped get me over my deep water nerves! I also have to disagree with previous comments about the receptionist, myself and my boyfriend found her extremely friendly, helpful and efficient... the dive shop is always busy and I don't know how she managed to keep a smile on her face at all times when being asked lots of stupid questions! I hope to get back to Sairee Cottage someday. We were supposed to go to Koh Tao for 5 days diving, and ended up staying over 3 weeks each time. Loved it. <3

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DreaDublin
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I'm sorry but I have just seen the review below...what a load of rubbish! Yes Koh Tao is 'mafia run' but NO WAY do Sairee have anything to do with that. Bunch of friendly Irish folk who do what they do with passion and a smile. Great food, lovely bunglows, friendly staff, good diving school...all in all they are fantastic and I when I head back to Koh Tao, that'll be who I'll be staying with again, that's for sure!! Also, they were amazing with me when it came to diving...I am or should I say 'was' petrified of the sea but they were so calm and really helped me through my fear. My partener even stayed on with them longer than he expected and completed his Advanced course too...the decision he made was purely based on the amazing reefs he was taken to as well as the kindness of the staff.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple