“Indeed, 'THE Place' !!”

The Place Luxury Boutique Villas
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Amazing stay, too bad I didn't book earlier and could get only 2 nights. The entire room decor was fabulous, tasteful and not overboard. Loved Bex and Guy's attention to detail- every small thing had been taken care of- including little torches attached to your key ( As the road can be dark at times) Absolute privacy guaranteed. Fantastic collection of movies- carefully assorted by Guy. The restroom decor was fabulous- with so much natural lighting and pebbles and plants. the bed, the sofa, the lounger- everything is awfully comfortable- you'd never want to get out.

Room Tip: Villa 1 is a little more secluded and placed further inside than villa 2- which is overlooking the c...
There are newer reviews for The Place Luxury Boutique Villas

Reviewed 30 January 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at The Place for two nights in January 2012 and can't speak highly enough of this secluded island retreat. If privacy, comfort and style are what you seek then this is the place for you, 5/5!
Andy

Reviewed 27 January 2012

We have just got back from a 2 week trip to Koh Samui and Koh Tao and stayed at The Place for 6 days during this. It was my fifth visit to Thailand, but first visit to Koh Tao and my boyfriends first visit to Thailand. It is now in my top 5 places to go. My sister had been the year before and recommended The Place to me. Looking back on it we wish we had just stayed at The Place for the whole two weeks. Guy and Bex are fantastic, there is literally nothing they can't organise for you. From booking our boat for us, picking us up with their taxi driver Mr Bear, the welcome pack, the movies, massages, private speed boat trips, diving, I could go on and on. The bungalows are perfect, beautifully done and luxurious, we had one rainy day and it was a pleasure to curl up with some beers and several films! It is unbelieveably quiet and peaceful, relaxing by your own pool, with the best view I have had anywhere I've stayed. I don't know what more we can say, there is nothing negative about The Place or Sairee. Koh Tao was far less hectic (and sleasy...) than other bits of Thailand I have been too, we loved it. Can't believe I haven't been before. Our boat trip from Koh Samui was absolutely fine, and I am not good with boats. I have stayed in 5 star resorts before and did immediately afterwards back in Samui and The Place was better, if there hadn't been people arriving the day we left, we would have asked to stay longer. I have never recommended a place to other people as much as this one. Guy and Bex, don't change a thing, we will definitely be back!

3  Thank Holly B
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Just finished a fantastic 2 night stay at The Place, and we are wistful that we couldn't stay longer. The villas are absolutely beautiful, private and thoughtfully appointed...but that's only a fraction of what makes The Place so special.

The owners, Guy and Bex, have "it" nailed down. First and foremost, they are two of the most kind and pleasant people I've encountered in the hospitality business in all my years of travel. From the reservation process, to personally meeting us at ferry arrival, to taxi and laundry service, and a loaner cell phone- they have thought of everything necessary to make your time on Koh Tao essentially effortless. In addition, they went above and beyond during the course of our stay, assisting us with a few personal/specific items that needed some local help.

As a frequent traveler who typically stays in high-end properties with status and upgrade perks, it was truly a pleasure and a breath of fresh air to stay in a stunning smaller property with such personal attention to service and detail.

5  Thank Kristin B
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The Place was AMAZING! I could not fault it.

Guy and Bex are great hosts. They have thought of everything to the finest detail. The website photos are true to how The Place actually is, which is rare. The beds are comfy, the bathroom is lovely, the Kitchenette has everthing you need to cook a meal. The private pool is a wonderful luxury!

Nothing was too much trouble. It was my boyfriends birthday whilst staying there Guy sourced Champagne for me, which can be hard in thailand. They set up the champagne for our return from dinner so i could surprise him (See picture).

The TV system was great with lots of TV and Films pre loaded.

My boyfriend was knocked off his scooter in Koh Phangan, Bex went out and bought us waterproof dressings so he could try out in the pool as he wasn't allowed to get his wounds wet! Such a sweet thing to do!

The sunset was unreal! The villas are placed perfectly to get the best view of it! Very romantic!

We had a resident Geko and quite a few lizards which was pretty cool :D I loved watching them dart about the ceiling trying to catch the mozzies!

I don't really know what to say apart from if you are going to Koh Tao, check The Place out. You will not be disappointed. We are already planning to go back, without a doubt! 2013 can't come soon enough ! haha

Guy and Bex felt like mates rather than hosts. Thank you for making our stay so special!

Reviewed 13 January 2012

After an 8000 mile journey by air and a treacherous sea crossing to Koh Tao, we were delighted to meet the owners of The Place, Guy and Bex, waiting for us at the dockside on our arrival. Together with another couple, we and our luggage were bundled into a pickup truck, owned by Mr Bear and we made the 10 minute trip to The Place.
The pair of villas are situated up a very steep hill and inset in the jungle. Be aware this hill is nearly 45 degrees steep and runs for about 60 metres and you will have to scale it every time you want to go to town. If you are in any way unfit, asthmatic or ill you will have to get Mr Bear to pick you up and take you back. We were offered the use of an ancient moped which would only start if you braved death by launching yourself down The Hill and bump starting it, all things considered we decided to get fit and walk.
Both villas face West and have a spectacular view over the sea and each has its own plunge pool. We got Villa 2 and the other couple got Villa 1. The owners kindly lugged our luggage to our villa and we slumped down on the veranda admiring the view and listening to the jungle sounds, feeling like the people from the old Bounty advert, having found the “Taste of Paradise!” until suddenly, we heard the sound that all holiday makers dread. The sound of builders at work! Neither of us said a word, but the crest fallen and tearful look on my wife’s face said a thousand words, it said, “We’ve just travelled half way around the World to be encamped next door to a building site for the next 3 weeks!” Yes, sure enough the owners were building a Villa 3 immediately behind ours and had omitted to mention this to us at any time during the 9 months or so since we’d booked. I was livid and summoned the owner over to our villa and complained bitterly, to which he said that all works would cease immediately. Which they did. The question remains however, would the noise have continued throughout our stay if I’d been one of those people too timid too complain?
A few days later we were moved to Villa 1 which was a bit further away and felt nicer. The builders did return about 4 days before we left, but I presume by then the owners thought, “Well, what are they going to do about it, leave early? Ha! Ha!”
So a word of warning, make the owners guarantee there is no building work going on or planned during your stay. This complex is in the middle of the jungle, together with all of its natural sounds of birds and animals which is wonderful, the last thing you want is a man made cacophony ruining it all!
The villas themselves are lovely with every mod con including internet and a media centre with hundreds of films to watch. The veranda is wonderful and has an infinity plunge pool at the end of it, which was much needed to cool off in after scaling The Hill twice a day. Inside the villa we had a family of Geckos which patrolled the ceiling by night keeping the insects at bay. Daddy Gecko was about a foot long and luckily stayed outside most of the time as he was too fat to get through any gaps into the villa. They did have a tendency to chuckle at each other, which was lovely.
One thing neither of us could understand was why when the villas were so modern and attuned for Western tastes, why are the residents expected to go all, “Native” by having only a thin cotton curtain separating the lovely bathroom/ toilet from the cooking/ living area? It’s something you’d find in a 50 Baht a night, run down hippy hostel in Bangkok, not a top dollar resort like this. So, if you are perhaps a newly acquainted couple on your first romantic holiday, be prepared for some red faces when one of you is in the bathroom, trumpeting the fact they had had a particularly hot Penang curry the night before, whilst their other half is frying an egg no more than a dozen feet away! Put it this way, you’re are going to discover things you never knew and things you definitely didn’t want to know about each other during your stay at The Place! Go on Guy and Bex, put solid doors on the bathrooms and make everyone happy! Lol

All in all we had a lovely time, I think the owners could tighten up a few things, like cleaning under the furniture and not just around it. Keeping a close eye on the pool maintenance, I got an ear infection and a skin rash, which the owners said, “Couldn’t have been caught from their pool”, because they always clean it, however we didn’t see any chemical testing or chemicals being added to our pool until about 2 weeks into our stay when the pool suddenly went green and we informed the owners. About 4 days later it went green again. My ENT doctor shook his head and mumbled, “This isn’t a good sign”. By the way, I swim every day in the UK and have done so for 20 years and NEVER had any kind of infection or rash and I didn’t swim in the sea at Koh Tao. The rash vanished 48 hours after leaving Koh Tao. So it all remains a mystery!

Please don’t interpret my review as “negative”, I refuse to join the “Awesome! awesome!” brigade because they actually help no one. The Place is a small step away from being nigh on perfect and I think that my suggestions are probably only echoing some of the views of the apparent 70% of people who have stayed at The Place and NOT reviewed it. Remember we did stay 3 weeks which was longer than anyone one else to our knowledge, so we had time to experience some of the problems.

Would we stay again? All in all, The Place was truly lovely and unforgettable. The Hill to it was a problem and the sea trip from Koh Samui can be a living nightmare if the sea is rough. But for me the reason I probably wouldn’t return is because the lovely little town of Sairee is seriously blighted by hundreds of reckless Western youths or “Flash-Packers”, ie rich “Hippies” on mopeds barging their way through the tiny streets, with no consideration for anyone on foot. Sairee could be completely transformed if the authorities made the centre a pedestrian precinct. During our whole stay, I would say the only real risk to health was presented by these idiots who could cut you down any moment, God help you if you have small children!

Room Tip: Ask for Villa 1
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
14  Thank pcgrowler
theplacekohtao, Owner at The Place Luxury Boutique Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Thank you for your review. I don’t usually write replies to our reviews on TripAdvisor but thought I would like to clarify a few of the points you raised.

We do have a small, semi-automatic, moped that we offer to guests that have some motorbike experience. Guests can use this moped, for free, to pop into Sairee for a bit of shopping. We don’t ask for a passport deposit like most hire shops in Thailand and we don’t charge a single baht if we find a scratch that wasn’t there before. If it hasn’t been run for a couple of weeks, it does, sometimes, require a jump-start but we do that and afterwards it kick-starts first time, every time. You may have found this if you had actually used the bike.

We pride ourselves on being as unobtrusive as possible during every guest’s stay. Our pools are chemically tested and cleaned on a regular basis, however, running the pool pump for 2-3 hours every day is part of the cleaning process. During our orientation, this is explained to guests as they are in control of the on/off switch. As there is a slight ‘droan’ from the pool pump, we suggest they leave it on when they leave their Villa so it doesn’t disturb them. The only way that the pools can change colour from the usual ‘crystal blue’ is if guests don’t use the pump. Any water sat for 3 days will start to become stagnant. It would be possible for us to install a timer which would run the pumps for a set amount of time everyday – whether guests were relaxing on their balcony or not. We much prefer, however, to let the guests decide when they want to run their pump and it’s worked fine with all guests until now.

We do currently have builders working on a project and they are under strict instructions to only make noise when all guests are out of their Villas. If guests are in, the builders don’t make a sound. They actually worked every day during your stay and it’s a testament to them that you only heard them, during your 3 week stay, “4 days before” you left.

I’m sorry that Sairee village was too busy for you but you did stay in Peak season. Most of the year Sairee, the beaches and Koh Tao, in general, are very quiet.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your comments. We are continually trying to improve the experience and level of service we offer our guests and always welcome constructive, honest feedback.

Best wishes

Guy Welply

Reviewed 8 January 2012

The Place is a wonderful spot to unwind. It is situated midway up the mountain behind Sairee Beach on gorgeous Koh Tao (about a 10-15 minute walk for those who are not afraid of the steep climb up at the end). The villas are private and beautifully decorated and equipped. The infinity plunge pool with a view was a definite hit with us. Bex & Guy are extremely helpful and thoughtful hosts. From arranging our ferry trips and meeting/delivering us to the terminal, they were gracious and helpful. We'd highly recommend this spot to anyone seeking peace & quiet with gorgeous sunsets over the water,

Room Tip: There are only two villas in The Place. Both are lovely.
1  Thank Donald Munroe E