My Wife and I have just returned from The Place on Koh Tao, where we stayed for 5 nights at the end of a two week whistle stop tour of Thailand.
We had read all of the great reviews on Trip Advisor so our expectations where very high and I have two say everything about 'The Place' lived up to and went beyond what we could have imagined.
We were welcomed like Royalty on arrival at the pier on the Island by Guy, Bex and Franzi. From the moment we set foot on the island to the moment we were dropped off back at the pier the team couldn't have done more to make our stay absolutely perfect.
They really have thought of everything - from a welcome hamper to a free mobile phone with their own taxi driver and other useful numbers pre-programmed.
The Villa we stayed in was immaculately clean and the view from the balcony across the tree tops to the sea is breath-taking! Having our own infinity pool to relax in and watch the sun setting with an ice cold beer was something I will never forget!
I couldn't recommend 'The Place' enough and it was the perfect place to stay after the hectic cities and long plane, bus and ferry journey's we had experienced the week before. The one thing I would change....a longer stay here!
Some things I would recommend doing while you are there:
1. Hire a moped - We got one from the small shop at the bottom of the hill up to 'The Place'. They are very cheap (approx. £5 per day) and one tank of fuel lasted for four days with plenty to spare! Once you have one of these you can get to the quieter bays on the island very easily (although some of the tracks down to the beaches are a bit steep!) Just make sure you check the bike carefully before signing the documents so that you don't get stung for scratches when you return it.
2. We paid for the chef from Barracuda Restaurant to cook for us in the Villa. Just speak to Guy, Bex or Franzi who will arrange this for you. It is very reasonable and we had the best Fish Platter ever!!! Not many other places in the world where this would be affordable so go for it while you are there!
3. Finally if you want to go diving, I went for an afternoon trip and did two dives with 'Bans Diving Resort' (Sairee Beach). They are very professional and the instructor was great. If diving isn't your thing you can borrow good snorkels and masks from 'The Place' for free and just explore the coral reefs at some of the bays around the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Place consists of nine luxury boutique villas, all with private infinity pools, that offer you total privacy and complete relaxation. The resort nestles charmingly in the hills above Sairee, close enough to be convenient for restaurants, bars, shops and the longest beach on the island, but far enough away to savour the tranquillity and refreshing breeze that comes with being in the hills. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Place Luxury Boutique Villas Hotel Koh Tao