Koh Tao Royal Resort
US$398
  • Breakfast included
US$72
US$64
Ban's Diving Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$48
US$47
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Koh Tao Simple Life Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$50
  • Breakfast included
Pinnacle Koh Tao Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$51
US$47
Agoda.com
Haadtien Beach Resort(Koh Tao)
US$209
US$196
US$70
US$65
US$113
US$90
Agoda.com
In Touch Resort & Restaurant(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$27
US$26
US$176
US$81
Trip.com
All reviewsnice distancewelcome drinkwater heatersairee beachdeck chairsover christmasgarden viewbeach frontpickup truckwatching the sunsettaxi boatenjoyed my staystayed here for nightsrent a bikean amazing viewprivate beachsteve
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights and loved it!!
Really close to the pier so save money on taxis, right on the beach with awesome sunset views.
The food in the restaurant was very nice, but the best part for us was the staff, they were amazing, nothing was too much trouble, really friendly, booked things at discount for us, cant speak highly enough of them.
Thank you so much guys, if we're ever back in Koh Tao we will certainly be back!
Michelle & George

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We spent 10 nights there in B2 bungallow. At arrival we could choose between standard and superior bungallow, we checked both of them and asked for the standard one as the superior one had really sticky steps to the bathroom. We asked for a fridge to be put in our bungallow and they were happy to do it. AC is optional, if you want to use it you have to ask for the remote control.
Staff was really nice and friendly, they helped us in everything what we asked. The restaurant is a bit expensive for Thailand, we served only once breakfast there (but the whole Tao island is quite expensive)
If you want to stay in a luxurious hotel, don't go there. This is a simply accomodation close to the nature.They have simply wood bungallows, you can listen to gekko's shouting during evenings. Price is reasonable. It was perfect for us, we did not spend too much time in the bungallow. They have hot water but we did not use it (not needed in 38 degrees ). Beach is nice, they offer snorkeling equipment for free.
Cleaning is done only upon request. We had 4 small shelves in our bungallow for clothes.
Wifi works only in the reception/bar area.

Room Tip: Ask for B1,2 or A 1,2 ... to get a standard bungallow closer to the reception (some bungallows are quite far from there and you have to climb). Superior bungallows are far from the reception and bar.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ildi5
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Overall, this was a disappointing and poor experience. At best, I would describe the Koh Tao Royal Resort as a backpacker’s hotel. We booked for 6 nights and checked out after 3 nights. This was the most expensive hotel that we stayed at while in Thailand, and it was not good value for what we got.

The owners and help were, for the most part, pleasant, and we were nicely greeted on arrival. The location was quite good, although a little too close to the ferry terminal and other boat traffic for our liking. We knew that this was a possibility when we booked though. The Hotel beach was ok, but nothing special. The food in the restaurant was pretty good.

The accommodation was quite a distance up a steep hill and stairs from the beach and restaurant/reception. We were fine with this, but older people and people with very young kids should be aware as they may not be happy.

We booked a “Deluxe Bungalow”. The bed in the main bedroom was beyond uncomfortable and hard, to the point that we could barely sleep. There was not a hook, a bar, a chest of drawers, nor anything else to allow you to unpack your clothes. There was one bare light bulb in a lamp, but not enough light to even read by.

In the loft, the mattresses are on the floor and adequate. However, again, there is nowhere to unpack. The stairs going up to the loft were incredibly steep, slippery and without any hand rails. During the day, it was scary enough navigating them, but at night with poor and no light, it was a real concern. Our 7 year old fell down the stairs once, and we were constantly on alert. I would not recommend these stairs for young kids, and would not want to deal with them as an adult either.

In the bathroom, there was not a cabinet or a counter to put your things on, nor a bar or hook to hang a towel on. While I was informed that this was standard for Koh Tao, you are not allowed to flush toilet paper. I have traveled around other parts of Thailand and SE Asia and India, and this has been the first place where this has been the case.

The overall cleanliness of the room was not great, and you needed to ask at the front counter if you wanted your room cleaned during your stay.

The hammock on the front deck broke with one of my kids lying in it. Fortunately, he was just bruised up and didn’t injure himself too badly. The hammock was repaired immediately by Hotel staff.

Our bungalow backed onto what we first thought was a garbage dump, but I think that it was just a vacant or partially occupied lot with lots of garbage. Whatever it was, there was continual noise, smell and it was off putting.

My final warning! We knew that we had made a bad choice when we arrived. We booked for 6 nights, decided to stick it out for 3 nights, and we were charged for 5 ½ nights. Prior to leaving, I discussed the situation with the owners of the Hotel, Steven & Paweelin, who advised that regardless of our circumstances, they were unable to change the reservation due to Booking.com policy. However, it is evident that the policy in question was, in fact, the Koh Tao Royal Resort’s policy, and they were unwilling to change our booking dates. Steven ended up reducing the bill by half a night at check out. In returning from Thailand, I received an email from Booking.com modifying our booking to 3 nights. I once again reached out to Steven & Paweelin to try and obtain a refund for the two and a half extra days that we were charged. After three emails, I finally received a reply stating that “There is no refund”. While Koh Tao is a beautiful Island with many beautiful resorts, this is not a hotel I would recommend staying at.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Jeff H
R0yalRes0rt, Owner at Koh Tao Royal Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

From the time you and your family arrived our staff cared for your every request. When you broke the Hammock we fixed it immediately.
At no point during your stay did you mention you were unhappy. If you were not happy with the accommodation why did you not just tell us ??

We accommodated you and your family at our resort as per your reservation. We informed Booking.com that you has checked out early as per our contract with BOOKING.com.

Your original booking was for 5 nights, check in 20th March check out 26th, our hotel policy is as follows;

If canceled or modified up to 21 days before date of arrival, no fee will be charged.
If canceled or modified later or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged

You stayed with us for three nights and wanted two nights "no penalty" because you just changed your mind. together with your excuse about not being allowed to put tissue paper down the toilet. This is normal when staying on a tropical island or in fact anywhere in Thailand

I did not charge you the full reservation fee, as a good will gesture, I charged you only 50% for the last night and full price for the other four nights.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The staff in this resort is something really great. They were very helpful with everything we asked for. Even with recommending motorbike rentals which don't rip you off at the end. That was the very bright side of this accomodation.
Location is alos great, you can just walk from the pier by foot to get there.
The beach at resort is also very nice, you can use also comfortable beach-chairs or borrow snorcheling equipment for free if you want to. Also meals were tasty and nice.
Unfortunatelly the "Deluxe" bungalows were not what we expected for that price. Shabby and very old fashioned. You also need to walk to a steep hill to get there. Because of this I rate as average, as I think you can get better for that price.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vrbiscz
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I chose this place during a dive trip in Koh Tao. There were lots of options, but reviews and the desire to be in a little nicer place than at the dive resort bungalows made up our minds to book the last available room here (the Deluxe Bungalow with Fan).

I don't know if it was the fact I was coming down with something (I ended up super sick with upset stomach & fever the next day) or if it really was THAT bad, but we didn't even stay one night.

My first impression wasn't super good, as we arrived and had to carry our luggage down a super steep hill down even steeper steps to the office. I stayed up the hill while my husband took care of check-in, and while waiting I was absolutely eaten alive by mosquitoes. The receptionist was very nice and gave us bug spray to use temporarily until we could find some, but that was just the beginning.

Our bungalow was the furthest back from the beach and the highest up the hill. The hike up to the steps was not for the weak- I would absolutely not recommend it for anyone older than 45 and/or not in superb physical condition. I will say though, once at the top the view was spectacular. I wish I had taken a picture of it!

When we walked in, I was trying to be positive about everything, but I just felt defeated. No air conditioning, SUPER hot even with windows open, fan was not a ceiling fan it was a crummy old rotating wall fan, no chairs to sit inside, beds under a mosquito net, plugs covered in spider webs, and bugs covering the lights. I felt like we would have saved a lot of money if we had just stayed in a tent in the woods somewhere. The bathroom was terrifying- you had to go down 4 big steps in to this crazy room with the toilet & shower. If you wanted to do it at night you could have had a terrible fall.

I wanted to love this place and my husband did, too. We honestly did. But when I went to lay down to take a nap, I pulled back the cover and the sheets were stained in what I would guess to be oily bug spray from previous guests.

The receptionist was so nice and we were so grateful for any help, and we did not want to be rude about it, so we didn't even let them know we were not staying there until the next day when we checked out a day early (we still paid the full amount). Even then, we were too embarrassed to say anything negative about the place.

I'm sure this place is perfect for some people, and an absolutely wonderful getaway. Maybe it was just our bungalow that wasn't in great shape, or maybe it was because I wasn't feeling well. Either way, we ended up paying a bit more for a hotel room in Sairee which was more up my alley.

This is not a luxury accommodation, it is more of a jungle/beach hut for people getting back with nature. Like I said, I'm sure some people would absolutely love it for the natural feel of the place and the seclusion from the nightlife of Sairee, just not for me :)

Room Tip: I would probably choose a bungalow closer to the beach. I don't know if any of them have air conditioning, but that would be a good choice, too. Even without it, if you were getting the breeze from the beach it would probably be nice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple