“I shan't be staying there again unless I'm desperate”

Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #117 of 157 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The dorms were crammed with too many beds so there was very little space for bags and if people were standing you couldn't get around at all. Also the beds were pretty uncomfortable and really noisy whenever someone was getting in or out of bed they rattled horribly. Also the place could have been a lot cleaner.

It was a cheap option but not as cheap as it should have been. I was paying a flat rate of 350 thb which is around £7 which is extortionate considering how basic the place was.
The showers were appalling with little to no pressure and the water smelt bad. I know that the island was having water problems due to lack of rainfall but it was still pretty gross.

I'm pretty sure the man on reception short changed me the first week I was there and he tried to in the second visit but I managed to argue that one before I handed him any money.
Electricity was in and out all day which meant sometimes there was no air con...which made for a very uncomfortable room as it was 35 degrees Celsius outside.

Like I said I won't be staying there again unless I'm desperate.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Charlotte P

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

The owner is a really nice guy, goes out of his way to help get you settled. Air con was a treat, quite basic facilities but the showers could do with a bit of work.
Awesome toilets though, I got overly excited to see they had western style toilets with toilet paper
Recommend

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Omg, worst hostel ever! The smell on the dorm is so bad, the beds are awful and grose and the worst thing after spending a day at the beach is that the showers don't work. It's unbelievable they ask 350 baht for a dorm room, but the only reason for that is that Ko Tao is expensive so there's nothing really cheaper than that. I would never ever stay here again. Grose!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Marly_vr
Phil D, Owner at Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

When you say the beds are grose (I think you mean gross, but whatever) is that because you don't like the hygienic mattress protectors that we use that ensure that you aren't sleeping on a sweat infused mattress as in most places in Asia? They also protect against dust mites and of course every backpackers enemy bed bugs which we're happy to note we have never had an issue with in all the years we have been open. The bedding you were given upon arrival freshly laundered and which you can change at the reception at any time so really what are you referring to did you wet the bed or something? (fortunately the mattress protectors protect the mattresses from that too ;)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I've been travelling for 4 months but this was the worst hostel i've ever stayed in for this price. The toilets smell so bad all the time, same for the showers and there's almost no water. If you shower with too much water by using the tap below a guy from the reception will knock on your door saying you're using too much water! The beds are horrible, really sqeaky and you have to make you're own bed. Staff is not nice at all and they cann't book any tours. Wifi is really bad, only good thing its close to the beach. Don't stay here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mandy K

Yes sorry we do get people to make their own beds (common practice in hostels as it makes it much easier to work out who is staying in which beds and ensures that the bedding is clean when you check in), this consists of putting a fitted sheet on the mattress and a pillow case on the pillow...

Thankfully it has now rained a few times this year now, however when this customer stayed it hadn't rained for over 6 months and so there was a severe water shortage on the island, now there is water however the price of water is still very high at around 20 times the price of what it is on the mainland. (hence the price of accommodation here on the island is higher than you would get similar accommodation for on the mainland, electricity is also more expensive with a private company supplying it at a rate ten times that of the government electricity)

It seems odd that the staff couldn't book any tours for you whilst you were here as we do book in tours for people and so I am wondering if you were speaking to the reception staff or the non English speaking Burmese cleaner?

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Been backpacking around south East Asia for a while now. Never written a review before because I've never stayed somewhere so bad. From the outside and reception it looks ok, so we didn't bother asking to look at the rooms. Once we had paid for two nights we realised what a mistake we had!
We stayed in an 8 room dorm on the bottom floor but it's more like a prison cell.
It's dark, the door doesn't close properly, the showers smell of urine and the water dribbles out into concrete. There's mould on the walls and hundreds of ants all over the walls. There's far better accommodation just up the road from this hostel for the same price, so unless you have to stay here, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The only positive thing I can say is that the staff are quite nice.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Zingtons89
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

This hostel was overall okay. Great location, close to pretty much everything. Lots of backpackers staying here, so if you want to socialize this is a good place to stay.
The toilets were disgusting. They smelled really bad. The showers had NO pressure at all, had to wash out all the schampoo under the sink instead. Also there was a small ant invasion in the showers.

I think it was a bit overprized for what you got, but still it was a nice atmosphere and a good poace to stay since you really only sleep there anyway.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this place for 2nights.It was my first hostel experience.The beds weren't the most comfy but it's a hostel,I paid 350bth/night. I had to make my own bed,bedding seemed somehow clean,but the towels were nasty.they almost seemed greasy,it was hard to wipe myself with it;(( the toilets were really dirty and stinky,showers were a disaster,I showered about 3x a day as it was really hot and humid and the water never worked once,I always had to call someone to fix it. Water pressure nonexistent .they have a no shoes inside policy... I tried to wear a pair of flip flips inside that wasn't worn outside,they wouldn't let me. I actually saw the cleaning lady in the afternoon,she just sweeped the floors,newer wiped ... That's gross,if U have 8ppl walking barefoot on the floor... The staff were friendly and somehow helpful.i stayed in 2 other hostels after this experience and they were 100x better for the same $$... I would rather split a room with somebody than having to stay at this place again.

Stayed: April 2014