“Nice resort but not for everyone”

Koh Tao Bamboo Huts
Ranked #34 of 138 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
London, United Kingdom
“Nice resort but not for everyone”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed in Bamboo Huts (BBH) for 3 nights in August 2012. The huts are rustic and cute, with stunning views.
The huts (which are not fully sealed and not as 'luxury' as expected) are situated on the rocks which have crashing waves, making it rather noisey.
The location is a little tricky to get to at night once the complimentary 4x4 has stopped running. There is a pathway from Mae Had (the local town) to the huts, this is reasonably well lit but is a bit of a trek if you're not used to walking up and down lots of steps and hills (in the heat). It took us around 30 minutes to do this walk at a reasonable pace (not strolling) from town every evening.
Overall the staff were lovely and the resort and breakfast area have stunning views. However I wouldn't stay here again due to the huts being slightly open to the elements and in a location which was more difficult than expected to get to (I'm average fitness but was not prepared for this). I did also miss having a pool area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank A F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
london
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Arrived at the pier and was met by staff for transfer, welcome drink on arrival at Charm Cheree ( bamboo huts is part of Charm Cheree) Reception on the surface good but on a closer look a bit worn.
Went to our hut which was great no qualms at all a bit away from the main part but that was fine, very quirky bathroom etc and a great outlook.
One thing that was annoying after a few days was that the weather was blowy and the waves constantly crashing into the rocks and splashing over the balcony now that cant be helped but after 3 days of it we moved the other side of the point in part of Charm Cheree which was much more sheltered and much quieter.
The other thing was you could get into the sea from the huts once the waves died down but couldn't get out!! so a couple of times I snorkeled around to the bay where i could get out of the water safely.
Our new room had a dripping AC which was reported but nothing was done while we were there also our room wasnt cleaned on the last day possible due to the Do Not Disturb sign being blown about but a very large room with a great view.
All in all the rooms could do with a refurb and the bamboo furniture outside could do with some varnish.
if I went back to Koh Tao I dont think I would stay there as very expensive for Thailand but a great time was had while we were there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam.
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Both my Husband and I stayed here, for part of Our honeymoon, May 2012. We stayed in a delightful Bamboo hut, in this Eco-park! Stunning views from Our bedroom, which also hosted 2 balconies, elevated over the lapping waves! It was very unique, and charming. The accommodation itself, was life a luxury bamboo hut, cut into the natural stone cliff! It was very cozy, and tranquil. Each night we listened to the waves coming in, under Our hut! What a lovely peaceful sound! We stayed in BB 11, well recommended, with 2 stunning balconies, with fantastic views, shower, en suite bathroom, mini-bar, and air-co. Enough to relax and unwind! Well recommend it!:) Mary& Dez

Room Tip: Yes BB 11, great views, and ideally located between 2 lovely beaches!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary Q
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Once you're entering to amazing Koh Tao island, you're on a pier and thinking where you gonna stay. Just head to the rightside and approx 1-2 kilometers you find this beautiful resort. The hotel desk is located near mainroad, but actual huts are located down to the hill distance is approx 400meters or so. Once you need to move around hotel placies, no worries have own 4wd car with a driver, so even the big hills goes easily. Near the huts views are just amazing, rock cliffs and quiet own beach. Near the nature, might have geckos, lizards or something but nothing scary or dangerous.

Rooms are super nice too and have everything what is needed, front of the room have own jacuzzi and amazing panorama seaviews straight to the ocean. Good warm shower and A/C, plus fridge full of goodies. Closest neughbours arent near, so can be totally alone if needed. Staff is helpful and nice, they help on everything if needed and the feeling while staying on hotel is really good.

This place makes staying on Koh Tao more memorable and amazing. If wanted to no need to go away from hotel, they have a nice restaurant and other services in hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Harri K
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed at bamboo huts early February 2012. I saw it on the net while in koh samui. We went over and found it.
Awesome! Low key but fantastic position, views and very Thai. Our host Baas showed us all the rooms. We chose BB3 WOW! Private pool A/C and access to the most awesome underwater playground. Swim for miles.
The buffet breakfast was great and kept us going all day in a beautiful high over the water setting. Dinner was down on the water edge deck . We went every night (best place in town) views brilliant ( the sunsets), service impeccable and great food which was great value, especially when you consider where you are. no rip off here for water front dining. My thanks to Torn for his wonderful and courteous service every day.
The beach was like a movie set but actually real. Big rocks, nice sand, bamboo rafts just off the beach for lazing on. Great massage. WHY AM I TELLING YOU ALL THIS?
Possibly one of the best weeks I've ever spent on holidays. Thanks everyone
Special thanks to Baas, Prang Ma and Torn. See you next year THANK YOU! And to our 4wd driver .
Great week.
Don't forget to go to banana rock cafe, 15 minutes work up the track. A tree house cafe and all the railings are driftwood intertwined. Very laid back
This an unsolicitored review , just a very happy holiday maker who got lucky

Room Tip: BB3 for your own private pool and awesome views and direct acces to the water. Be careful the steps...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Benooch
Khartoum, Sudan
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Yes, the huts are a bit of a walk from basically everything, including breakfast and reception and yes, they are really a part of nature so if you are a nature lover and don't mind exercise - this is the place for you!

I stayed with a friend, probably the only non-couple in the huts but we had an amazing time! The hut itself was wonderful, great location and the best views ever with a nice terrass where you can sit/lie and enjoy. We also loved the funky bathroom and the wonderful outside shower. It really felt like we were almost alone there which was great. We stayed in BB5 which had its own 'rock' with sunbeds, so wonderful and I think the best of all the huts from what we could see.

The breakfast was nice with a wonderful view. The beach of the resort (Charm Churee Villa) was OK, but we preferred swimming in front of the hut which is totally possible if you are a fit person. There was also amazing snorkelling there. We also liked that you could walk to Mae Haad (like 20 min). Staff was great, friendly and helpful, they organized taxi, boat tickets for us and also the room service was fast and good.

The internet didn't work for a couple of days but we didn't mind - it was too wonderful to spend time on the computer!

Room Tip: Recommending BB5 as it had its own 'rock' with sunbeds, the others just had them on a concre...
Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Elina S
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed at Koh Tao Bamboo Huts for 3 nights on the first week of April and surprised I didn't have to leave the resort at all. The huts sit on boulders by the sea, so I had stunning panoramic sea view as wished. KTBH is a new sister resort of the bigger Charm Churee Villa in the same property, so business took place here at the reception also with wonderful sea view. The ride to the hut via their back road can be a thrill ‘cause some section is very steep, however I found (from couple rides) the driver was very careful operating the four-wheel drive car. Most of the time I hiked along the trails (well-paved), which connect the compound.
My hut is big for my standard. It’s a studio filled with a big double bed, closet (safety box inside and hangers, bathrobes, flip-flops, umbrella, etc.), desk, couch, a long bar with drinks and snacks including kettle and plates on one side and a big widescreen tv on the other side—amenity comfort you can find in high standard city hotel (too pampered :]). It has large balcony and another sun-deck below. The bathroom and toilet are outside and shaped after the boulders making it amply and natural luxurious feel to me. I’m a city girl and would not welcome strange creepers plus I’m prone to mosquitos. Luckily I didn’t run into any except some geckos (big and small). I also used the electric fan to ward off mosquitos during my good time lounging on the balcony esp. sunset time.
The whole area is basically a jungle with a long shoreline. I like that I can hike to different activities and stay safe in the compound. There are so many choices of water to jump into, and believe me, just knee-high level you already see lots of colorful fish (you can borrow snorkel gears for free). The sea in front my hut has no beach 'cause it's lined with boulders but fantastic creature underneath. At one time I encountered a long wall of yellow-striped fish--so many that I felt intimidated. The exclusive Jansom Bay beach is small but cozy and lively. Everyone seems to hang out there plus it's where the lunch bar is. The Sai Thong beach, a 15-min hike on a paved trail (Jax Trek), is wonderful for sun-bathing.
Foods always come with sea view. Breakfast is generous and fresh (considered everything has to be imported from mainland) and staffs are attentive and smiling. Dinner deck is set with floor-seating makes it quite relaxing and romantic to gaze at the stars and fishing boats faraway. I like seared tuna and made it my choice for dinner but was disappointed. Another night though a waiter recommended baked king mackerel and wow, it's perfectly done! On my way out I was worried about the boat ride as it was windy that morning. I asked advice from the office staff who gave me some sea-sick pills including bandages for my minor cuts from climbing the boulders. Thank you very much.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo