“AVOID”
Review of DJL Diving

DJL Diving
Ranked #13 of 98 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Owner description: Davy Jones Locker (DJL) Diving is a 5 Star PADI CDC Resort located in Sairee Koh Tao, we offer scuba diving courses for every level of experience from beginners 'Discover Scuba Diving' Experiences and PADI Open Water courses right through to Instructor and Staff Instructor courses. We offer 'zero to hero' style Divemaster internships for those wishing to fast-track to PADI Pro level. We do also offer a wide range of Technical and Wreck Diving courses for more advanced divers as well as Power Boat Handling and Underwater Videography courses. DJL has a swimming pool, bar & restaurant along with a wide range of accommodation for all diving customers.
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Very unimpressed. Being a reasonably experienced leisure diver with around 50 dives under my belt this was, without doubt the worst diving experience in have had from the dozen odd companies that I have dived with across the world, including two other dive schools on Koh Tao.

Bad points - The boat is VERY poor. We went for a full days diving when the day got to about 35 degrees at its hottest. No sunshade on the boat, no seats on the sun deck with about 20 people on the deck which probably had space for at the top edge 12. To tables to eat at. No boat briefing to explain where to smoke, eat, where drinks are etc. No explanation of who is staff. Ordinarily this might not be a problem but DJL seems to attract early 20's Dive Master trainees and its very unclear whether they are staff or customers. All of them in the same T Shirts that the actual Dive Masters are in with different ones giving customers differing advice. Felt like the punters on the day trip were an inconvenience for the DMT's who were loud, annoying and played hilarious games that required other customers having to move even though they were comfortable. Staff/DMTs eating before customers and leading to one customer having only rice for lunch. Drinking water was warm, cups were left unwashed all day which in the heat was very unhygienic. Were due to go to three dive sites, the third of which was almost barren of marine life less what was contained within fisherman's nets. This meant that we ended up at a fourth dive site, exclusively for the DMTs to get another dive in for their log books and we got back around two hours late. I was overweighted and my repeated requests for a buoyancy check with one of my Dive Masters was pretty much ignored, in spite of the tongue lashing I got for struggling with buoyancy (When diving with another company my DM insisted on checking buoyancy first and I found out that I was about 3Kgs over weight) Finally, the head of the company broke the number one rule of diving by jumping off the boat on his own to check out a dive site. This in front of Open Water and Advanced Open Water trainees who have just been taught the first lesson. The DMTs predictably thought this was hilarious and a great example to set!

Good points - One of the Dive Masters that led me was excellent. A very calm and calming man to dive with and because of this we saw plenty. The food was better than most. The dive sites were good.

Summary - There is a reason these guys are cheaper than most. Spend the extra couple of hundred baht (which is the price of a coffee in Starbucks) and go somewhere else.

1  Thank PPC771
Phil D, Manager at DJL Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2014

We appreciate the feedback and we want to address some of the issues mentioned in this review.
Davy Jones does specialize in training DMTs so there are often many young people on the boat and our trips to sail rock can get very busy since it is a popular dive site. We've made some changes to address the issue of not knowing who the staff are by introducing members of staff prior to the trip. We've also worked to improve some of the logistics for our longer sail rock trips since this review was written.
The customer is incorrect that the cups are left unwashed. Our Thai boat staff cleans the cups after each use. Also, the 4th dive site was not just for DMTs, there were many customers who had not yet done the third dive of the day and we wanted to be sure that everybody got what they paid for.
The big issue raised by this review was that of the head of the company diving on his own to drop the mooring line. This instructor is a certified solo diving instructor, so no standards were violated when he was attaching the line.
Once again, we appreciate the feedback and we've made some changes to logistics since this trip in an effort to make sure we always give our customers the best possible experience.

There are newer reviews for DJL Diving

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I did my open water license there, and i probably got the best teacher in the world (thank you damon)!
it was professional, and funny all the time, i felt like in a big family.
i did 6 fundives after finishing my OW, here i also had a great guide (thanks virginie)
can just tell everyone to go
there.
Jonas

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Book your scuba dives with DJL diving. A year ago I wouldn't even go in the sea, now I have my padi and have completed 4 scuba dives! Over the 4 days, they go through everything at your pace, catering to your anxieties also. Pete taught us all of the skills in the pool, and Ollie took us on our dives. All of the staff are English speaking so no worries there! It's an amazing experience that everyone should try, and DJL really help to make this happen. Don't go to any other dive company in koh Tao!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We came here to do our Open Water Diver course with a little bit of fear (as its all new to us). As soon as we got here we felt comfortable, the instructors we had were excellent. We Had Pete, Ollie and Sarah. All were fabulous teachers helping us through every problem we had.

Even though it seems alot of work to do in the short space of time it seemed pretty relaxed and we didn't feel rushed through the process.

The Open water Dives were amazing, some beautiful underwater scenes and many different types of fish.

I would recommend this place to anyone wanting to learn to scuba dive. We are even thinking of coming back (in a few months time) to do our advanced course.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Was really looking forward to trying diving, and doing my Open Water PADI course (which involves 4 underwater dives) but worried as I am prone to panic attacks. DJL were totally cool about it though, and said I could try a few things before commiting to paying for a course, which was great!

All was fine until when I got in the ocean I had 2 panic attacks! One was basically just as I went under, and I wanted to get out! Instructor however calmed me down, took a lot of time to do so, and I felt able to carry on. When I reached the bottom though, another panic attack! Instructor again stayed with me, calmed me down (even let me hold his hand ha!). After that, I was able to swim around but felt a little uneasy, but the instructor was by my side the whole time which was comforting.

At the end course however, I was loving it, so much so that I am going back to do my advanced course!

Have to give full credit to my instructor, Eric, and assisting instructor, Emily, for helping me and making me feel comfortable - could not have done it without those guys!

Anyone who wants to learn to dive, I have no doubt this is the best place! Do your self a favour, and learn to dive here - they really are the best!