“Amaaazing in every way!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aminjirah Resort

Aminjirah Resort
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Melbourne, Australia
“Amaaazing in every way!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

I cannot express enough how wonderful it was to stay at Amanjirah Resort. The staff are ultra friendly, funny and go out of their way to ensure your stay is perfect! The facilities are all there, you want for nothing! The view is stunning!!! The food is gorgeous! Although it's a short drive from the main town centre, the staff are more than happy to drive you at the regular shuttle times OR if you want to go outside of this timetable they will drive you for the very chap price of 100 baht... I cannot fault this place.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Amanjirah, Manager at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2011
Hi There

We are always so very pleased to hear comments and especially when they are so kind such as yours. We designed our small resort to be suitable for someone wanting something very small and comfortable and have a choice of "expensive" to "cheap" accommodation.

Please meeting you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

We've traveled extensively through Thailand with our two children over the past five years, in five star and two star hotels and we've always been welcomed as royalty, wherever we were staying.
We were very surprised about the way we were welcomed (i should say not welcomed at all) at this hotel. The lady at the reception was extremely curt and unhelpful, we had to ask, instead of being offered.
I don't want to make a list of all the problems we encountered staying in this hotel but if you want more details, feel free to write me and i'll be happy to answer. There are thousand of beautiful, happy, great service and polite manners hotels and b&b you can find on the island for the same price if not less. Just don't pay attention to the other reviews.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank yoga68
Amanjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
I have read your review with interest as we did our very best to please you during our stay but were met with dismissal and unhappiness. I am unsure you would be happy any were.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

I really enjoyed Amanjirah and would definitely go back. Having spent a good few days at a beach hotel it was lovely to escape up into the hills more, still see the sea and relax in a beautiful tranquil setting.

Food was top-notch and the staff could not have been more helpful.

Highly recommendable!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

We've had a 5 night stay in the Amanjirah Resort and it was great!! The view was amazing, we wish we could have stayed longer!

The rooms and the hotel area were very clean.

We can only recommend this beautiful hotel up on the cliffs and before i forget it, the food was delicious!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lexiani
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

This place is absolutely wonderful.

My boyfriend and I only got to stay here for 2 nights, we had hoped to extend our booking, but unfortunately all the rooms were fully booked.

The other reviews mention the small pools, but these were perfectly adequate for a dip to cool off and fairly normal for Thailand in terms of this type of accomodation.

The view of the sunset and out to sea from the plunge pool is out of this world. We spent two early evenings in this pool watching the sun go down and it was one of our favourite places to be!

The resort is small, but perfectly formed, the terrace is great, with 2 hammocks and lots of relaxed seating. We ate in the resort a few times and the food is of a really good quality. We were impressed that we could set up a tab and pay our bills before check out. We were served breakfast on our terrace outside our room every morning and it was a real treat.

The pick up and drop off at the ferry port is great and they were very efficient.

I would love to go back here and stay for a few more nights!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weso10
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

If you are considering booking a room at this resort - DON'T! If you have - CANCEL! I have just lost a lot of money because my room was infested with cockroaches! Obviously being in Thailand you expect to come across the odd gecko or cockroach but this was a complete joke! I am unbelievably disappointed with this resort and the way my situation was dealt with. I was woken at 5am this morning to find cockroaches in my bed!!!! Being a light sleeper I felt something tickling my arm and opened my eyes to find another cockroach on my pillow just near my face!! Disgusting!! I was shocked as the manager informed me I had to stay in that room or check out BUT was not going to be refunded at all for the following three nights which i had already paid for!! I would have been happy to move to another room or get a refund and move elsewhere but this incredibly rude woman told me "You leave....no refund!!!" The staff found it amusing as she tried to tell me there were not cockroaches but infact 'rain bugs' and after a tedious row I decided to leave. It has to be said I have never met anyone so unprofessional and ignorant in all of my travels. It is such a shame as the staff are lovely and this place could be great. I am now in another resort in Koh Tao, half the price, much better food, cleaner rooms, the wifi actually works and best of all NO COCKROACHES!! Don't waste your money at Amanjirah!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank sinead1010
Amanjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
I am very sad to see your review since our staff did absolutely not laugh at your situation but they were discussing between themselves the type of bug you found in your room. This particular room is one of our best rooms and has large large doors to the sea view and our staff witnessed that the doors were left open often during the day, which is usually not a problem but during your stay it was indeed raining and quite humid which attracts certain kind of bugs. The bug in question and on your pictures is not a cock roach but in Thai it's called "Mang Taab" and it routinely comes into homes and dry places during rainy weather.

Regarding the refund situation then our resort was fully booked and we could not move you to another room but we offered several options to try remedy the situation. We can indeed not make a refund due to such an incident as we cannot control nature. If it had been due to uncleanliness or fault of us we would have done so. You also fail to mention that you moved to a completely different room type at another resort, so of course it would be more cheap. As a matter of fact the room type you stayed in at our resort is our largest with huge sea view windows and the suite is large than 45 sqm.

If anyone are interested for me to send more information about this "false cockroach" then please do email me at our resort's email.
Ventura, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

Fascility is brand new, its access is easy by bike, price is reasonable and its view friom small pool side is pleasant. However, I have to close curtain during daytime because the room is proximally visible from public space. Guests in public space can easily see and enter into other private balcony. Chatting of other guests in public space is clearly heard in private balcony.
Service is neither yet established nor well organized. Some staffs are not trying to help guests and responding beeuracratically.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Amanjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Thank you for your comments. We are a very small place and make no secret about that. Some rooms are more private than others and we are happy to recommend potential guests which ones are more private during reservation procedure. Most hotels I have stayed at (at our price range) other guests can look to your private balcony or you can hear guests from your own balcony, so I find some of the comments a bit unfair. In any case, I would like to recommend everybody that wants to book with us, if they require a lot of privacy to check during booking. Also, being small and minded about our island, we try to employ local people also and it is indeed true that many do not speak much English. However, the important staff at our resort speak very good English. So if you are looking for a small intimate resort with beautiful views, lovely rooms and pools, and good service without much fuss or pretentiousness then I think we are that place. If you are looking for a big resort with 5 star facilities and every body speaking English then we are not the right choice.