“Best hotel of our trip!”
Review of Aminjirah Resort

Aminjirah Resort
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Best hotel of our trip!”
Reviewed 7 July 2011

My partner and I stayed here after booking last minute and we were not disappointed. We had previuosly stayed at the 5* Putahracsa in Hua Hin and alos the 4.5* Dusit there also and this surpassed them both. We were picked up from the pier even though this was last minute too and the 4x4 was the classiesr pick up vehicle by a mile. The resort is small but perfectly formed with two small pools one of which has spectacular views out to sea. We had the penthouse suite which had a great view and was large and beautifully decorated with a big shower room and massive TV. The resort is a little way out of town but it's only a very pleasant 15 or so minute walk down. We hired a scooter from a rental place just a few minutes down the road for 150Baht per day so getting into town took only minutes. The resort does offer several scheduled trips to town a day of you can pay I think 100Baht outside these times. It is also very easy to get taxis from town back but these cost a little more and we enjoyed the walk after dinner in town. The staff here are friendly without being overbearing and we would definitely stay here again if returning to Koh Tao.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I booked this resort through amanjirah's website. When I arrived at the resort they informed me that they no longer had the room available that I had booked online through their website. I asked to speak to the manager about our options and the only option she gave was for us to stay in a nicer room but for more than double the price I paid online. Our options were to leave and lose the money we paid or pay double the price for the "family suite". She was not sympathetic or even acted like she cared. She was rude and it really soured our stay. To be clear, I had a few mishaps with bookings on our trip. Rooms get overbooked, problems with third party vendors.... I really understand. However, every other hotel we stayed at in our month long trip to Thailand was helpful with any booking issue we had. In fact, the service in Thailand everywhere was phenomenal. The really unfortunate part was that the hotel itself was beautiful with great rooms, stunning views, and very helpful staff. So, would I recommend the hotel...... No, if you are booking online. Yes, if you book at the hotel itself or understand that if the hotel is overbooked you are on your own. The manager was quite venomous and spoiled what would have been one of our favorite hotels of our month long stay in Thailand.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Amanjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2011
Being the owner I am sorry to hear about your experience. Typically when guests book last minute (late night before arrival), we can unfortunately not always accommodate them with only 10 rooms. That is why your card wasn't charged, but your friends was. Unfortunately you and your friend's booking came in separately so we had now way of knowing that you were traveling together and therefore we confirmed your friends booking first and informed you via email that your booking was not available. Traveling, you probably did not receive that notification and therefore I can understand you were unhappy on arrival, but my manager offered to upgrade you and your friends to a significantly better room for a small extra cost, which is reasonable under the circumstances (your booking was never confirmed).

Not being able to be there all the time, as my children go to school in Bangkok, I have to trust my manager's words that she handled the situation to the best of her ability. Judging by our very favorable reviews about or service generally, I have to stand by her. Of course I have spoken with her, to see how we can avoid any guests getting a feeling that we are not helping or indeed not welcoming as that is certainly not the wishes of our resort.

Thank you, in any case, for the other positive comments about the rooms and location and do be assured that we are monitoring the situation to ensure improvements all around.
singapore
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Initially I had stayed on the other side of the island and discovered the place when driving past with the motorbike. The place seems to have been opened just recently and in the room you will find a note of the foreign owner informing you that they had realized this project out of the love for hospitality but not being from the trade. This may be the reason for a lot of the nice personal touches and good intentions, but also shows that the lack of professional background leads to some service short-comings and that the potential of the place is (not yet) fully developed. This goes especially for the F&B side, English training and general servcied standards. Though the staff were very helpful at all times, friendly and polite. We stayed in one of the Seaview Fantasy rooms with Amalfi style sea views! Room no. 2 seems to be the best as it has direct access to the almost private mini-pool deck next to the room.
Another down-side is the thin walls between the rooms (at least in our case).
The 1min drive from downtown Sairee to the resort is pittoresque and pleasant if you can drive a motorbike (can be rented at the resort).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed here in May, on our honeymoon. This place is very cool, very quiet, very romantic. If you're looking for easy access to the nightlife of Koh Tao, or a bustling resort bar, this is not for you :)

FIrstly, our pick-up from the pier went perfectly and (unlike many places on Koh Tao) they have a new 4wd for a transport vehicle, rather than just benches on the back of a ute. We're both pretty young and well-attuned to the heat, but that may be a big plus point if clambering in and out of ute and/or sitting in the heat is not your thing.

The rooms...
We saw a couple of the rooms actually - We came in on the morning ferry, so they gave us access to a room to chill out in, have a shower etc, until our room was ready (we'd booked the sunset fantasy room). Then, we changed our minds, and decided that rather than the room with the outdoor jacuzzi, we would rather have the ocean view rooms down the front.

All the rooms are amazing.... the ocean view rooms are enormous and so beautifully furnished. The view is to die for and it is alot more private than some of the other rooms. Also, you feel like the little plunge pool is for you alone.

The mini bars are very well stocked and very reasonably priced.

The food....
I loved the tree-top terrace. The feeling of it is awesome, and most of the time it was just us or 1-2 other couples. We sat up there playing cards for ages, just relaxing and having a few drinks.

The food at Amanjirah is very, very good and I think the longer the resort operates, the better they'll get. In my opinion, their strength is definitely thai food, though if you don't like thai, their western food is definitely enjoyable, just not quite as polished. Their smoothies are absolutely amazing. I had a banana smoothie every morning!

The Staff....
I heard it mentioned that the staff's English wasn't very good and people feel this is an issue. To be honest, all the staff's English was loads better than my thai! We never found this to be a problem, the people who work there are friendly and if you really do get stuck, you/the staff can go and find the manager, who's english is really good.

The Location....
Beautiful veiws... very quiet... BUT... it is a long way (by Koh Tao standards) from Sairee or Mae Haad. However, they do free transfers a couple of times a day, and if you need transfers outside of that, you pay 100 baht each. This seems alot by Bangkok standards for taxis, but it's cheaper than getting a normal taxi on Koh Tao.

For us, as we were diving every day, this was a bit of a disadvantage. We were spending about 400-600 Baht a day on taxis between sairee, mae haad and the resort. If you are diving (particularly with one of the Mae Haad dive schools), perhaps consider staying somewhere closer. Next time, we'll stay closer to town while we're diving and then look at spending a couple of days at amanjirah.

You can hire mopeds and solve this issue entirely, but I wasn't brave enough.... we saw waaaay too many people with pretty serious looking injuries to consider it.

Overall, amanjirah's a quiet place. It's very small, I actually think it would be awesome to get 5 other couples and rent the whole place out, I think it would have a great vibe. If you want to be alone and relax, give this place a 5. If you want to dive every day, or spend most of your time in the town, maybe you would only consider it a 3.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kylie R
bangkok
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Just say yes. My family hailed down from The Big Mango on a thursday during one of the Thai holidays and were met like friends and parted like family. The children loved the small dog and lying in the triangle pillows on the restaurant decks in the afternoons.

The resort is surrounded by a green lush garden, offers amazing ocean views and beautifully decorated rooms with large flat screens, aircon and so on. Especially the family suite with three bedrooms and the penthouse were perfect.

The food in the small restaurant is absolutely to die for and worth a visit alone for that reason.

I cannot hesitate to recommend Amanjirah.

Room Tip: We had a penthouse suite and the family suite.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Amanjirah and loved it. It is delightfully small and tranquil and the staff are friendly, polite and attentive. The location is absolutely beautiful, set in the hills above Sai Ree beach. We watched the sun set from our balcony each night. The resort is a ten minute motorbike ride from the beach, which gave it its' charm as the beach is quite rowdy and spoilt for a twenty-something couple seeking a romantic getaway. If the resorts bikes are rented out, then there is a charming Japanese monk about 250yards down the road who is rents them out without any scams about scratches.
If I had to pick problems then I would say that the man who picked us up was not particularly visible since his sign was face down on the floor and we were at a bit of a loss when we got off the ferry. Further, the hotel service stops at about 10pm... we made use of the supermarket locally to drink wine in the room at night while watching a dvd.
That aside, I would definitely stay at Amanjirah again. The room was beautiful, the resort was stunningly located and peaceful, the food was excellent and the staff were so lovely. I could not recommend this resort enough!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cconn17
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 29 May 2011

My friends and I went for a short trip to koh tao over our long weekend holiday in Bangkok. Getting out of the office was great and everybody thoroughly enjoyed the island as a whole. We did a few dives, both in the water and the bars, but the highlight of the trip was our stay at Amanjirah, which was an awesome experience. The friendliest service, large rooms and two small cool pools to hang out at. The resort oozes ambiance and laidbackness and feels more like a private residence where guests can choose to partake and interact or to stay private and keep to themselves. Our party of six just loved it and can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends