“Take me back!”

Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 10 September 2011

In a nutshell:
Food-fantastic
Drink-wow the shakes & smooties!
Service-fantastic & always with a smile
Staff-Super friendly,I genuinely miss them, always happy to help & very polite & make you feel pampered
Bedrooms-Sea View Rooms have a view to die for, furniture is stunning (Tip:don't bring too many clothesA) you won't need them on the island & everyone wears flip-flops on the island then go barefoot indoors B)not a huge amount of storage in the bedroom)
Car service-brilliant! Either free if you go at allocated times or only 100baht for the local village Sairee Beach or 200for the next & 300 further etc

Adorable little resort, stunning furniture,views & location - way too far to walk to the beach unless you are really brave, it's also dark at night so would be dangerous to use that road as it's narrow-a cab is cheap enough so just grab one! (tip;dont get a cab from outside the petrol station,walk up the road towards Amanjirah  & get a cab from the next cab service, it's half the price!)
Staff are so sweet & always jumped to attention every time we showed our faces. The food is fantastic, and can be ordered from reception to be served in your chosen location. Breakfast can be ordered from the night before to be ready where and when you wish. Large TV and DVD player in Seaview room 1. I want to go back!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank NeseSaidThat
Write a ReviewReviews (1,284)

Reviewed 10 September 2011

Just a quick shout out to the resort for providing me with such a great stay during my dive trip to Ko Tao. I thoroughly enjoyed the accommodation and the location. The restuarant in particular was a delight with super yummi food and excellent shakes. I was in one of the garden rooms, which were fairly small, but conveniently priced and it gave me the chance to just soak in the beautiful atmosphere and ambiance at this lovely spot.

I can highly recommend Amanjirah to anyone as I had a chance to see some of the more expensive rooms as well and they were pretty awesome.

Cheers!

Room Tip: Garden for affordability or Penthouse Suite for luxury
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 September 2011

To the peoples that want the most terrific holiday experience we can sincerely recommendate Amanjirah. Coming from Bangkok Thailand I am very proud that this small heaven is owned by a Thai family and you can truely feel the warmth and sincerety when visiting this place. Our guest rooms were immaculative and imaginatively designed.. And the view from the seaview fantasty suites were incredible. Our party had these 3 rooms and it was nearly like a private villa since two seaview fantasy suites on top had connecting door and for my mum and dad they had the royal seaview suite with separate entrance underneath. We really enjoyed the small pool and large balconies and eventhough the pool was not private only to us it nearly felt like it.

Another point was the restaurant: the food was so amazing and service very gentle.

Room Tip: I can sincerely recommend you to book the seaview fantasy suites or the royal seaview suite - but I...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My partner and I went to Koh Tao for 12 nights in total, spending 7 nights here in the sunset fantasy (one with giant outdoor bath) and then 5 nights at Haad Tien. Despite other peoples negative comments about location we felt it was excellent, easy and pleasant walk to the action in Sairee for any normal fit person if you fancy a boozy night but also far enough away to be tranquil and relaxing. Wouldnt recc walking the dark road back at night though.

Nicely furnished clean spacious room and lovely private terrace, fun outside bathroom with giant bath to float naked in and have a cocktail!. Friendly attentive reception staff, very attentive and freindly waiter who was always super keen to please and smiley. The lady Thai chef/cook who's name I cannot remember (i think it was Boo!) is a HUGE asset to Amanjirah and the highlight of our stay..... we had several meals there and all where outstanding .... most delicious curries on the island, western food also excellent.... and the banana fritters where "the best ever" (we also stayed at Haad Tien resort which as a resort is triple the price but Amanjirah food was much better). Views were beautiful and the pools whilst quite small very nice & refreshing ..... the only negative of our stay was unfortunatley something went wrong with the main pool and it turned green and murky overnight and had to be drained / fixed / re-filled so was out of action for 3 days of our trip which was a shame as our room over looked this pool. But hey it couldnt be helped, they tried to fix as soon as they could considering they were carting the new water in on a truck ...... and the other smaller pool was working fine.

The smaller cheaper rooms looked much smaller/darker and not in the best location but then you get what you pay for and we felt Amanjirah was overall good value for money and would def reccommend. I just hope the cook is appreciated/rewarded by the owners as she will get poached by a bigger expensive resort with all the compliments she's getting on tripadvisor!!

Room Tip: if you can stretch your budget go for sunset fantasy or seaview ...well worth it!
1  Thank sam_jetski_2
Reviewed 7 July 2011

My partner and I stayed here after booking last minute and we were not disappointed. We had previuosly stayed at the 5* Putahracsa in Hua Hin and alos the 4.5* Dusit there also and this surpassed them both. We were picked up from the pier even though this was last minute too and the 4x4 was the classiesr pick up vehicle by a mile. The resort is small but perfectly formed with two small pools one of which has spectacular views out to sea. We had the penthouse suite which had a great view and was large and beautifully decorated with a big shower room and massive TV. The resort is a little way out of town but it's only a very pleasant 15 or so minute walk down. We hired a scooter from a rental place just a few minutes down the road for 150Baht per day so getting into town took only minutes. The resort does offer several scheduled trips to town a day of you can pay I think 100Baht outside these times. It is also very easy to get taxis from town back but these cost a little more and we enjoyed the walk after dinner in town. The staff here are friendly without being overbearing and we would definitely stay here again if returning to Koh Tao.

Reviewed 6 July 2011

I booked this resort through amanjirah's website. When I arrived at the resort they informed me that they no longer had the room available that I had booked online through their website. I asked to speak to the manager about our options and the only option she gave was for us to stay in a nicer room but for more than double the price I paid online. Our options were to leave and lose the money we paid or pay double the price for the "family suite". She was not sympathetic or even acted like she cared. She was rude and it really soured our stay. To be clear, I had a few mishaps with bookings on our trip. Rooms get overbooked, problems with third party vendors.... I really understand. However, every other hotel we stayed at in our month long trip to Thailand was helpful with any booking issue we had. In fact, the service in Thailand everywhere was phenomenal. The really unfortunate part was that the hotel itself was beautiful with great rooms, stunning views, and very helpful staff. So, would I recommend the hotel...... No, if you are booking online. Yes, if you book at the hotel itself or understand that if the hotel is overbooked you are on your own. The manager was quite venomous and spoiled what would have been one of our favorite hotels of our month long stay in Thailand.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Amanjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2011

Being the owner I am sorry to hear about your experience. Typically when guests book last minute (late night before arrival), we can unfortunately not always accommodate them with only 10 rooms. That is why your card wasn't charged, but your friends was. Unfortunately you and your friend's booking came in separately so we had now way of knowing that you were traveling together and therefore we confirmed your friends booking first and informed you via email that your booking was not available. Traveling, you probably did not receive that notification and therefore I can understand you were unhappy on arrival, but my manager offered to upgrade you and your friends to a significantly better room for a small extra cost, which is reasonable under the circumstances (your booking was never confirmed).

Not being able to be there all the time, as my children go to school in Bangkok, I have to trust my manager's words that she handled the situation to the best of her ability. Judging by our very favorable reviews about or service generally, I have to stand by her. Of course I have spoken with her, to see how we can avoid any guests getting a feeling that we are not helping or indeed not welcoming as that is certainly not the wishes of our resort.

Thank you, in any case, for the other positive comments about the rooms and location and do be assured that we are monitoring the situation to ensure improvements all around.

Reviewed 26 June 2011

Initially I had stayed on the other side of the island and discovered the place when driving past with the motorbike. The place seems to have been opened just recently and in the room you will find a note of the foreign owner informing you that they had realized this project out of the love for hospitality but not being from the trade. This may be the reason for a lot of the nice personal touches and good intentions, but also shows that the lack of professional background leads to some service short-comings and that the potential of the place is (not yet) fully developed. This goes especially for the F&B side, English training and general servcied standards. Though the staff were very helpful at all times, friendly and polite. We stayed in one of the Seaview Fantasy rooms with Amalfi style sea views! Room no. 2 seems to be the best as it has direct access to the almost private mini-pool deck next to the room.
Another down-side is the thin walls between the rooms (at least in our case).
The 1min drive from downtown Sairee to the resort is pittoresque and pleasant if you can drive a motorbike (can be rented at the resort).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple