“Amazing hotel. Blew our minds away!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aminjirah Resort

Aminjirah Resort
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Haifa, Israel
“Amazing hotel. Blew our minds away!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I'll start by summing up the review - for those who like to skim:
PROS:
-GREAT staff (the best I've seen)
-High standards
-Top notch rooms (especially the deluxe ones)
-Amazing view
-Very intimate
-Extremely high value/price ratio

CONS:
-Pool is a bit small
-Not too convenient to walk back form town at night (rent a scooter!)

REVIEW:
I'll start by admitting I fell in love with the place the moment we've reached it. It was so utterly amazing, that I proposed to my girlfriend on our first sunset there (I've been looking for the right place on Thailand, and this was it). The hotel manager captured my proposal on video, and helped me surprise my girlfriend with some other treats as well.
The staff is great, especially Jacob (the hotel manager). He was so nice, at times I thought I'm speaking with a friend, not a service provider. He helped us with many issues during the vacation that weren't hotel-related at all.
Our initial plan was to stay at Koh-Tao for 2-3 days, but after entering the hotel, and seeing the island - we stayed for a week. I must emphasis that the hotel's amazing deluxe room (with an extreme low price, considering its value) had a major weight regarding our decision to stay...

All in all, I highly recommend this place. I've seen other hotels in Koh-Tao (got many friends here), none of them was close to compete with Aminjirah. If you're a couple that looking for a romantic place to stay at, which is not far from the attractions - yet feels isolated, this is a no-brainer. Aminjirah is the place for you.

Room Tip: The deluxe suite is extremely amazing, and not too pricey either - considering its value.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Or Y
Amanjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
I am so happy to hear your great feedback. It's always a pleasure to have excellent guests as yourself and your soon to be wife and I am so happy it all worked out for you. Soon our new pool will be finished and then certainly we can arrange your only 'negative point' in the review :-

All the best in the future !!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

This hotel was fantastic. Although the location isn't as central as other hotels on Koh Tao - the hotel shuttle is always available to use. Staff were sensational, rooms were impeccably clean and beautifully decorated. The eat in menu was a lifesaver as we had a bit of rain on our visit and we were often exhausted from diving during the day - the burger and the thai green curry were incredible! Our friends stayed in the honeymoon suite - a must book if you get the chance - a spectacular view from their balcony.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite with the view if you can!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 7Gemma
Frederikshavn, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

In July 2012 we spent 2 nights at Aminjirah Resort. Our room was cozy, furnishings and the related bathroom were very big. There was a wonderful balcony overlooking Koh Nang Yuan and direct access to a small swimming pool. The service was excellent and the staff was very friendly. The owner was Danish and was incredibly helpful. The room was clean and overall the hotel was very beautiful with a relaxed and cozy atmosphere.
There wasa 10 minutes walk to the nearest town – a also really nice place with lots of shops and restaurants. The Resort is not right on the beach but there are 2 swimming pools and about 10 to 15 minutes walk to the beach. It is easy to hire a moped for about 200 baht which you can drive to the beach and the town . The road to town and the nearest beach is fine and not very busy. Just be aware, that if you get very far outside the city, there are only gravel roads.
If you are looking for an exclusive Resort not located right in the pulsating nightlife but still no farther away than you can easily get there, with a cozy atmosphere and friendly staff, this Resort is the obvious choice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Berit123
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Silent resort with a beautiful view any away from hustle bustle of life. Me and my husband both are working and have a hectic schedule so we wanted a place to relax and believe me we selected a perfect place. Wonderful food was served and we enjoyed it eating on terrace. Rooms were clean well maintained and decorated.

Staff was very friendly and ready to help anytime. As soon as we entered we were served with welcome drinks. It was a very refreshing trip. You realis its not just a only profit making hotel but a homely hotel where all the guests are given personal attention.

Thanks to Aminjirah. I promise to come back again.

Unnati

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Pre-booked this resort several months ago as an end to our island hopping and we were not disappointed. It's just in a world of it's own with stunning views and a super friendly owner that made us feel very welcome. You could say that it's not really run as a resort but rather as a private home and guests are treated like friends. There was no sign of the sour front desk staff mentioned in other reviews, so perhaps she either learned or was sacked. All we saw was smiles.

The room we had was also stunning with gorgeous decorations and a VERY comfortable king sized bed. Every morning we had breakfast on our private balcony with the sea in the foreground through the treetops.

WIFI worked great and it was lovely to spend the afternoons lounging by the smaller pool overlooking Nangyuan Island and Sairee Beach.

The only gripe we had was that the resort is building one more pool, but in reality you wouldn't know as it is way out on the edge of the property, so really it was no inconvenience.

Room Tip: Highly recommend room 5 or 6. Both are large with great views and private balconies - great value fo...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

We had a 5 night stay at the Amanjirah in August and had the unfortunate experience of the young woman at reception. She was off hand, rude and unwelcoming. The few questions we asked her about the hotel were met with 2 word answers and we got the distinct impression that she was not there to help her guests! Sadly the owner was away throughout our stay.

We stayed in the Moonlight Suite which were clean and spacious rooms, although the drinking glasses smelt disgusting and we put them out to be washed every day and they returned in the same state. We had a problem with the air conditioning which was eventually sorted out but the young men who were trying to repair it seemed to have little idea of what they were doing.

The first couple of mornings we tried saying 'good morning' and chatting at reception but gave up when there was little response. We had travelled throughout northen Thailand and Bangkok and found everyone so friendly and helpful at other hotels - this attitude came as a surprise.

We originally planned to have breakfast at the hotel but felt so uncomfortable being around the hotel that we went to the beach cafes and spent alot of time at the Coral Grand Beach Resort where the staff couldn't have been friendlier and more helpful.

The day we left we had checked out and were just finishing our packing when 2 young men came into our room without knocking and started looking around and checking the fridge etc (obviously to make sure we weren't taking anything!).

We booked the Amanjirah as it was the end of our holiday in Thailand and we wanted to stay somewhere special, and we paid a little more for this hotel than we had at previous hotels we had stayed at in Thailand but it was the worst hotel we stayed at. Overall it was a very awkward, uncomfortable experience and I would not recommend it.

Room Tip: I would not stay here again.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AW1203
Amanjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Seldom have I been as disappointed as to seeing your review. Aminjirah is my baby and from the outset we set out to create place that should be welcoming and comfortable.

Reading your comments regarding our front desk staff coupled with a number of other reviews now, it is clear that with her here, we have become exactly what we did not want to be and what you describe in your review.

I am truly lost for words as I had actually decided to give her another chance and hoped to be able to coach her to reach the right level. It is clear now that this is not possible and that we must take the responsibility ourselves as owners. What makes this even more frustrating is that hardly any reviews fault the resort itself, so clearly it is about the persons here at the helm. Luckily this is easily improved.

I was actually here for a 3 month stretch from May through to July and we had so many excellent encounters with guests and such a good time, so hearing all these comments have just left for about 15 days in August is just mind numbing and incredibly frustrating.

I really hope you have a chance to come back here and I would like to offer you a couple of free nights, so I can prove to you that our place cannot be summed up by the inactions or actions of one person. Please email me anytime if you want to take me up on the offer.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

My family and I stayed in for nearly two weeks in August, intially we had problems but we were upgraded and our bill was adjusted and were happy with the final outcome. I was travelling with my wife and six year old boy. He was looking forward to swimming in the pool but it was closed due to the water shortage. Obviously not Amanjirah's fault but this should have been mentioned prior to us arriving. Other hotels on the island did have full pools and we would have probably swapped if we had known. Another reviewer has mentioned the building work taking place, again this wasn't mentioned previously but we ended up in the Sea Fantasy Suite, right next to the work and it didn't affect us at all. My advice: just check what's happening at the hotel before you stay and make your own mind up. I'll agree with previous reviews about the girl on the front desk. She isn't that friendly, after a lot of travelling you need someone who welcomes you with a smile and is happy to help, we almost had to argue that we had agreed a specific package with the owner when we first arrived (she didn't believe us) which didn't help things! She did cheer up a bit as the days went on but generally not what you expect. However, the lads on the resort were always really friendly and helpful. We couldnt fault them at all! Initially the service was a bit hit and miss (food late, sometimes cold, not up to standard), the place does need someone in charge the whole time to keep things in check and as soon as the owners wife returned from Bangkok things improved. I told the owner all of our concerns halfway through and he was very accomodating. As I mentioned previously, we were moved to a better room and our bill was adjusted. You just need to let him know if you have any problems quickly and you can get to a satifactory outcome very easily. We couldn't fault the room, it was lovely. great views and very clean. A lot of people have mentioned about the location. We are a family of three and wanted somewhere that wasn't in the thick of the bars and restaurants and that's where Amanjirah fitted the bill. Yes, it is up a hill...a big hill but some days we walked up and down (me carrying a big beach bag) and it took approximately 15-20 minutes to get to the town. I won't say it's easy going up but coming down wasn't a problem. After a few days of walking down and catching cabs back up we decided to rent an ATV (The cabs and water taxis on the island are extortionate compared with other Asian/Malyasian islands) to see more of the island. We rented from the old lady at the bottom of the hill, just on from the water station on the left hand side and had no problems at all. She took our passport and it was returned as soon as we bought the ATV back. We had a great stay on Koh Tao and Amanjirah certainly helped. Don't go expecting the Ritz, it is a small family run enterprise, the rooms are great, just check everyhing before you go and make sure that if you do have any issues to contact the owner straight away!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank StephenP040
Amanjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Your review is very fair and accurate and we are taking steps to make improvements as we have indeed discussed by email. We have addressed the water and other issues on our facebook page, as it is not as simple as "other resorts had water in their pools" but I certainly understand your sentiment. I am happy to say that both pools are now operational again, even though the water situation on the island has not improved, we were able to source enough water to fill in again and it looks better than ever (see the new photos posted).

Next time you come we will actually have 3 pools here so things are improving!