“Very unique. Great service”
Review of Aminjirah Resort

Aminjirah Resort
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Edmonton, Canada
“Very unique. Great service”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Loved our stay here. Pool area was beautiful. Staff very friendly and helpful. Place has a very exotic feel. Basic rooms are nice but very small. Worth paying the bit extra for an oceanview room. Manager very attentive

• Stayed February 2013
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
We agree it's worth paying a bit more for ocean view, but have the standard rooms for those that want to experience the rest of the resort and just want a comfortable place to hang their hat and park their horse.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I'd really like to give the Aminjirah a 3.5 rating. After reading such fabulous reviews I expected more and have mixed feelings of the hotel.
The Aminjirah is in a fantastic location with wonderful sunset views. It is just outside of Sairee (for those who wish to get away from it all) and while it may be possible to walk into town I rented a scooter and thought this was the best way to get around.
The pool area is well maintained with lovely views. I can not say enough about the staff by the pool and restaurant. They were friendly and always reading to help with a smile. They really made my stay. The drinks in particular are good.
I stayed in an Ocean Fantasy Suite room. The suite itself was large and well equipped. As it was described as having 'truly lovely ocean views' I was rather disappointed and actually asked if this was the correct room. While I could catch glimpses of the sea through the trees it was certainly not what I was expecting and I think the Superior rooms may actually have better views. My major problem with this room was the bathroom. On the site it appears to be fully rennovated with mosaic tiles. I am particular about bathrooms and this is one of the reasons I chose this room. The bathroom has a small mosaic tiled area around the sink but the rest was quite old. No windows, dark and the shower was attached to a wall without any kind of enclosure so the water went everywhere. There was what seemed to have been a spa bath at one time that was filled with rocks??
There is not a lot of mid-priced accommodation in Ko Tao and after seeing my room I felt that the price was a little high (particularly since booking through the site the Baht price is put into dollars which was then converted into Euro on my credit card). With taxes and all the price was almost 100 euro per night.
San (the manager) was very helpful and gave a lot of information about places to visit. Provided pick-up and drop off from the port.
San recommended someone to rent a scooter from who is 'honest' Nang Oil on the main road just up from the port. The scooter was very new with good brakes and tires which are needed on the island. However when I returned the bike there were some scratches (which anyone knows after being there) WILL happen inevitably because of the roads (potholes, large speedhumps, dirt roads etc). I was happy to pay something however the owner insisted that every single panel with a tiny scratch must be replaced. He wanted 20 000 baht for scratches (no dents, nothing broken, some of which were barely visible on a panel). After much arguing and discussion (I was running late to catch a ferry) I had to give him 250 euro (as he had my passport) in order to leave. This was absolutely extortion and I felt it left a very sour taste in my mouth after such a nice vacation. My advice is to not use Nang Oil bikes as you will most certainly be charged.

Room Tip: Do not choose the Ocean Fantasy suites for their views or bathrooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind and honest feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the views, the pool and that our staff was as helpful and friendly as we ourselves find them to be.

We always listen to constructive critique and with regards to the room you occupied I agree that the shower area is a bit on the quirky side and something we will address during low season when there is time do so. Personally I enjoy staying in this room with quirky (but well functioning bathroom and all) and find the ocean views spectacular. I do not feel the bathroom is old in any fashion and our staff keep it well. There was indeed a jacuzzi style tub previously which has been turned into a display feature instead due to the scarceness of water on the island. We do not advertise the jacuzzi though.

Granted the views are better from our Royal Suite and Sunset Dream Suite but the pricing is also quite different. Regarding pricing, then we feel that we are priced fairly compared to neighboring resorts such as Thipwimarn and Dusit Buncha. Considering their reviews, their facilities, service and more I believe for most room types we are actually less expensive and considering we have three pools + the size of your suite (40 sqm+ with a large balcony) I think we are priced right for peak season.

I am sorry about your scooter adventure and I have instructed San to refrain from recommending this particular operator as well as any other operators since we do not want to be held responsible the occurrences that will invariably happen. In my experience there is lots of good operators on the island, but it truly is a difficult business to be in. We even had scooters ourselves at one point as a service setting out with the policy to be 100% fair and not charge MORE than just what it costs to fix a bike when broken. Unfortunately in many cases even being fair, this proved to leave a sour taste and bad feelings as if someone has an accident, having to pay ANYTHING extra feels like salt in the wound. So let me say this: only rent a motorbike if you know how to drive one and know that all operators WILL take your passport and they WILL charge you if you smash it up.

Please note that I am not saying this is the case with your experience and that you might very well indeed have been taken for a ride by "Nang Oil Bikes" and we are indeed sorry for recommending them. Won't happen again :-(

All in all I am that you liked Aminjirah and hope to see you again.
Bavaria, Germany
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I sorry fore my bad englisch. But I think that every people should know about thise place. I have never seen so much view or tryed so great service. My zimmer was the Sunset Dream but I think a bit exspensive when I booking. After I staiyed it is so fine. The inside was beuatiful and so much romantic and very big, but the view from my terrassen was even more. Many day we enjoy the food in the morning there and see the scuba boat go to work and and in the nights we sit and view the sunset many colore like orange, pink purple yellow - like movie dream.

Mr San from the resort help us when we having the aciddent on the motorbike and tkae us to hospital and fight with rude man rent the motorbike. Nearly boxing with him to help. Every body really care about the guests.

I like espesially the foods and the dinner time with the sunset and the pool, so we so happy and think will come back island many many time in future & aminjirah too.

Room Tip: Sunset Dream is reallity worth every thai money it cost (like 5000 THB or more per night). The view...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sigrid b
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We were met at the ferry terminal. as arranged. I was not sure that we would be met, but it all went like clockwork. First stop upon arrival ,needless to say, was the new swimming pool. What an amazing setting and breathtaking views. Some of our party were upgraded at no extra charge which was a very pleasant surprise. I had read some reviews which suggested that the staff did not step up to the plate when the owner was absent This was certainly not our experience. My daughter was pregnant and fell I'll whilst we were at the Aminjirah. San, the manager took her to the medical centre himself and bought her back again. He then gave her the best room in the hotel and organised a special meal for her. We were absolutely blown away.
The food was excellent, and service was always with a smile. The owner did arrive whilst we were there an joined us in the late afternoons. You really felt like part of the family, Jacob and his wife were very helpful, giving us suggestions on what to do at our next destination
I would suggest upgrading from a garden room if you want a bit of space, but you are warned of the size of the rooms in advance.
We did hire scooters while there and I would highly recommend this option.
The location for us was perfect, far enough away from the noise, but with the bikes close enough to down to the shops and restaurants.
My heartfelt thanks goes to San for his caring attention to my daughter during our stay.
We truly felt as though we were in Paradise during our stay and I would love to return.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Diondre

Say hi to your whole extended family! It was a true pleasure meeting everyone and I enjoyed all the great comments and feedback, both postive and negative. We are always a work in progress and always looking to improve. Hope you are all well back in OZ and the construction business will take off again soon !!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Must say was really impressed with the value and the service. Came from Akaryn on Koh Samui which of course is 5 star but Aminjirah had a nicer, more laid back island feels to it. Coming from Hong Kong we need to relax and WE DID!!! We didn't want to leave the pool at all and did not even go to the beach because we had not seeing more impressive view or place than lying down on the sun lounger and looking to the sea or sitting in the pool bar enjoying a beer or two. So relaxing and soothing. When it got to crowded we just went to the small plunge pool by our Royals Suite instead. Just love this place in Koh Tao !!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2013

just a quick review from me as im still jet lagged :-P

good-
outstanding view !!! especially sunsets, could just watch it forever. loved the infinite pool. walking down the staires just gave you such a buzz
very clean hotel and rooms very nice, classy, well decorated.
staff were very friendly and did what they could

downside-
its a fair 15 mins walk to main area, so defo need a bike. but on upside your away from the crowds :) you need to decide if you prefer to have amazing views on cliff top or be right on the beach.

food was a bit hit or miss. pad tai was good but breakfast was usually cold as they bring it down from an outside restaurant i believe, not end of the world.

my room was right next to the small reception area and sadly was pretty noisy especially in the early mornings, i would have been better off with room outside area

the view is that good that sometimes can be blessing in disguise, at times during sunset you had a few other tourists on their ipads facetime giving a loud running commentry, ruining the moment when all you want is piece & quiet. i know im not blaming hotel for that ;)

i probably would return to koh tao and would come back to this hotel :) but also liked the look of the haans hotel on shark bay area

i thought koh tao was beautiful but more touristy than i expected. it was weird seeing non thais working in the bars. bit of a shame that there's padi on every corner, bit overkill imo

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank benlinney
Aminjirah, Manager at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Thank you for your kind and honest review of our resort. We'll look into how we can improve on the few issues you mention.

Regarding our breakfast then it is made in our own kitchen about a 1-2 minute walk from the pool deck. I will re-iterate to all staff to ensure only "HOT" breakfast is brought to the tables.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I loved this hotel, as everyone has written the staff are great (I found their English very good compared to most hotel staff i've met) and the location was perfect for us. The rooms have been finished well with beautiful decorations. We also had an open ceiling bathroom but I didn't find this a problem at all.

I spoke to lots of people on the island who were paying similar prices for very basic bungalows as Koh Tao was very busy after the full moon party, I really doubt you'd beat this hotel on price. We're definitely going back.!!!!!

Room Tip: worth paying extra for bigger room, the budget are small.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family