“Stunning.”
Review of Aminjirah Resort

Aminjirah Resort
Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel where every single member of staff made me feel as welcome as at Aminjirah. Full marks for the staff.

The main focus of the hotel is the infinity pool which is spectacular any time of day, for the price it really is something special.

The location is slightly away from Sairee Beach, which makes it nice and quiet and relaxing, but a 15/20 min walk will have you on the beach and amongst the bars. The hotel offer free transfers to and from the pier and diving schools, but also available are good quality scooters for a mere 200 Baht a day to drive into town or explore the island.

I would recommend a stay to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Ian,

We really appreciate all your comments. Aminjirah started out as a private home some 15 years ago and in a way it still is. And we want to keep it that way.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed in a Starlight Fantasea room in April.  First, the good:
1. Location of the hotel is good...a 5 minute scooter ride out of Sairee...far enough away to be quiet, yet close enough to get to town whenever you like.
2. The view from anywhere on the property is stunning.
3. Staff is very friendly and the manager speaks good English and will be happy to help you with any questions.
Now, the not so good:
I will preface this by saying that April is probably the worst month to visit Koh Tao as it is the very end of the dry season and water shortages and power cuts are rampant everywhere on the island.  The hotel has a backup generator that usually kicks on pretty quickly, so if the power does go out, it doesn't stay out for very long.
1. Room size is very small for the price.
2. Wifi works when it feels like it (about 1/2 of the time during our 8 day stay)
3. Scary power outlet next to the bed (tripped the breaker whenever anything was plugged into it).
4. The shuttle driver wasn't there to pick us up when we arrived on the boat.  We tried to call the hotel but didn't get through.  We ended up taking a taxi for 300 baht to get to the hotel.  The manager was somewhat apologetic and offered to take us to town for free sometime.

and now for the worst part:

4. Horrible sewage stench from the air conditioner around 10pm every night.   This one took a couple of days to figure out.  We were laying on the bed watching TV when we noticed a horrible smell.  My husband looked around for the source and determined that it was coming from the AC unit.  Since it was about 9:30 at night, he had to look around a bit before he found the manager to come check it out.  He came to the room and smelled the stench and said that he thought it might be the filter or something.  He said that he'd send someone around in the morning to clean it thoroughly.  My husband told him that we thought that some kind of sewage smell had to be entering the AC intake somewhere, but he said that it was a closed system and that that wasn't possible.  Ok.  We suffered for the next two hours or so until the smell seemed to get better.
The next day we went out for the day and when we returned, the room had been cleaned as usual.  We couldn't tell if the AC had been serviced or not, but we figured we'd wait and see.  That night around 10pm I was sitting on the balcony when I heard the sound of rushing water from somewhere down the cliff below.  My husband was inside on the computer at the time and all of a sudden, the stench of sewage filled the room!  We surmised that the hotel must empty out its septic tanks at that time every night, and that the intake for our AC system must be located somewhere near where the sewage comes out.  It was unpleasant in the extreme, and usually lasted around an hour or two before it finally cleared up enough for us to sleep.

Bottom line:
For $50-$60 a night, we would have been very happy with this hotel.  For more that double that, we felt like it was quite overpriced.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Jstarr23,

First of all I am pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful and our views beautiful and that I am truly sorry for the problems you faced.

The sewage issue you mention was caused be inadequate removal of sewage. The island's one and only sewage truck come at regular intervals to remove sewage from the sewage tanks, but unfortunately due to human error on our part, one of the tanks had not been emptied as frequently as it should have and nobody has noticed this error.

It is most certainly not something you should have experienced I can only apologize for the inconveniences you faced and wish I had been there are the time to do whatever I could to alleviate the situation.

With these issues in mind I can certainly understand that you would feel the price of the stay did not match the value and would therefore like to offer you a great deal if you ever return to Koh Tao. Just send me an email at stay@theaminjirah.com. I truly am sorry for the detriment this had to your stay with us.

Furthermore I do wish to point out for future guests, that the above occurrence is obviously not a daily, monthly or even yearly event. When you are on a small island with less than adequate water supply, electricity grod and without a proper sanitation solution unpleasant situations are always a possibility. Yet, we do our VERY best to ensure that such situations such as the above does not occur. When they do we learn from them and improve.

Finally, we do indeed offer free transportation to and from Koh Tao's pier on arrival and departure but we must be informed ahead of time which boat, what time and from guests arrive. There are 3 different piers on the island and with thousands of travelers arriving daily, we simply cannot guarantee the transfer if we do not have the guests itinerary.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Absolutely beautifully set-out hotel with the natural features incorporated into the various rooms and facilities. It was very insightful of the owners to bring nature, as opposed to trying to 'push' it out.

The hotel owners took the time to personally great me once I was settled in (having a beer by the infinity pool).

The rooms were stunning. Always smelling of essential oils. Food was always good quality and the staff were fantastic.

I will be returning the next time I'm on Koh Tao.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Guest

We appreciate your comments about the natural features of our resort. Especially the rocks on the island are so cool and we are really happy to have them everywhere including in our reception and rooms.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had been looking forward to staying at the aminjirah since booking it online and enticed by the great website and breathtaking views from the pool. It didn't disappoint, the aminjirah was our final stop in thailand and we loved every minute. We had a great apartment (room3) and balcony overlooking the infinity pool although we spent most of our time by the pool!.

The staff were wonderful, San, Michael, Jo, Nim and staff couldn't of done more to make our stay comfortable. San went out of his way to ensure a personal service guests.

Sunset cocktails don't get any better than this, we'll be back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Neil C
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Great to get such a positive review as our 400th review! Thank you Neil for your patronage and lovely words. Glad that you liked one of our Ocean Mystiques (room#3) as you mentioned. It is sure is lovely and big room.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

As a Hotelier for Hotel Solo Sukhumvit 2, we had lots to talk about with the owner of this place as there was tons of things we could relate to and consider things we both could improve on.

Aminjirah, has great staffs - always there to smile, owners are super nice, the room was lovely ( I didn't stay at the budget room) and the pool is great with an excellent view to die for.
Koh Tao was really hot while i was there, even with the fan i was still sweating.

I recommend this hotel for anyone who plans to go diving at this island or maybe even a honeymoon trip.

Full scores as promised !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Dalvir,

Great to meet you and to have a nice constructive talk. As you can see we already started taking steps to follow some of your ideas... Hope to visit your hotel in the future. Looks great!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I've been in this place twice with my family and friends and both times are amazing. I can't get enough with the view specially in the sunsets while sipping my favourite frozen margarita.Best cocktails in the island perfect for the scenery,i can really say one of the best!not only in Koh Tao but the whole Thailand beach resorts.I will also like to add that this is real place for relaxing.
Staff are very helpful and rooms got lovely view as well as super clean.Would definitely recommend this resort to anyone....

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mitchvilla
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Mitch,

Glad you enjoyed both your stays and hope to welcome you again. The view never gets old and the Margarithas stay frozen.

Take Care !!!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I will try to sum up our experience.
1. The internet didn't work in my phone for 3 days.
2. Staff was not very helpfull.
3. Electricity went off for couple of seconds maybe about 20 times in 3 days.
4. Breakfast wasn't very good to be honest.
5. The Food was quite expensive.
6. The owner promised to pick us up from the pier when we arrived from ko samui, but the guy who picked us up didn't have our names on the piece of board so it was a miracle that we found him in the middle of the crowd.
7. Budget rooms overpriced. The AC didn't work very well, not enough lights, very hard beds and dark bathrooms.
8. Honestly the only good thing about this place was the view, but you can get this from other better hotels, I recommend to the owners to charge less for the rooms and service that they offered. Just to add something else, they messed up our booking and we had to stay in a budget room 2 nights even though we actually booked a nice room with ocean view.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Anna I
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Anna,

I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay or our services and we will strive to improve upon the points you mention. You mentioned that there was an error with your booking, if possible, would you mind to send me the details via email, so we can look into how that occurred.