“Idyllic”

Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Idyllic”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We decided to treat ourselves for our last few nights in Thailand and we were not disappointed. We went for a budget comfort room and it was anything but! (room 5) it was spacious, clean and luxurious. The staff were excellent, friendly and accommodating. On our final night we we're moved to room 11 which was a lot smaller than room 5 but still to the same standard and had amazing sea views. The pool areas were lovely and the sunset views were breathtaking. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this place to anyone. It is a little way out of the centre but there is a free shuttle bus run by the hotel and mopeds for rent (highly recommended) and they will provide a taxi service if not for 200baht.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Salls21,

Thank you for your very kind words. It is very encouraging to get so high praise and it make us work even harder to continue to our progress.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Ko Tao was the last leg of our mini Thailand vacation and by now we really wanted to stay at a hotel that would have an infinity pool at a height. We booked ourselves at Aminjirah after seeing just one image. This hotel has some really beautiful views, the pool overlooks the sea and the sunset from here is especially stunning.

The staff at Aminjirah is really sweet and helpful and they seem very dedicated to making you have a great time. The rest of the place is made to incorporate lots of green pretty patches on the property, lots of nooks and corners with seating and very relaxing seating around the pool.

Our room was also nice and big, with traditional thai decor and all modern amenities. The WiFi in the room WAS a little slow but frankly I couldn't care less as I was really looking to disconnect on this vacation. For people who need to stay connected though, I can see how that can be a downer. Aside from that, everything else here is top notch. The pool bar mixes some really yummy cocktails that you must try. Oh! Also- the breakfast spread is really nice and scrumptious. Overall, Aminjirah is a GREAT property and they punch in a lot in their price.

Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear SimChan,

We are very glad to have been part of your mini vacation and that you were happy with your stay and the accommodations. It is always nice when guests notice all the small details we have tried to incorporate at the resort.

Sorry about the Wifi !!! It can indeed be hit and miss, but that is basically island conditions and other resorts we speak to have the same problems.

Hope to see you again some day!
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Went here for a single night as we loved ko tao so much and when we arrived we we've breath taken.
1: staff so friendly, welcome showed room, super super efficient. Nothing was too much trouble.
2: pool area, AMAZING, NOTHING ELSE TO SAY, beat ko tao resort hands down
3, price, well it was half the price of hotels we stayed in koh samui and was equal if not better luxury then those!
4. Location- okay top of a hill, but that's what made it amazing and the bike shop were happy to give you a 5 min backy down to the liveliest part of the island for a drink or food! For only 100 baht!
5. The room for the price was easily the best room iv ever styled in. Cliff edge, private pool, sunset view, Breath taking! From 13 has to best the best room in the hotel!
6. Value for money, as I said we stayed in the ko tao resort for 590 baht a night cheaper and I felt robbed. No contest with the service , room and facilities!

Negatives - if you don't like heights then this ain't for you but seriously get over it as you don't know what your missing!

Room Tip: Worth at least two nights here for romance and relaxation!!! Room 13 is perfection.
Dear Gareth,

Myself and all my staff thank you so much for your amazing comments. It really means a lot as we do our very best to provide the service we would want ourselves.

Room 13 is the Moon Ocean Pool Villa and my own private favorite as well.

I sincerely hope to see you again some day!
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This was my 5th trip to koh Tao and I stayed at Aminjirah for 9 days!! It was awesome ! From the time San picked us up at the pier till we left at 5h30 am we had nothing but brilliant and friendly service ! Nothing was to much trouble! San went out of his way to accommodate any of our requests including collecting me in town on his own scooter! Michael ... "The best Barman in the world " and his team made sure I always had my gin and tonic !! The views are sublime , the sunsets breathtaking , my room was comfortable with awesome views! I can't wait for my next trip to stay and I highly recommend Aminjirah! It's like being part of a family ! Thank you San and the team !!! Gill

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Michael is beaming right now. His Frozen Margarithas are also pretty good !
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel where every single member of staff made me feel as welcome as at Aminjirah. Full marks for the staff.

The main focus of the hotel is the infinity pool which is spectacular any time of day, for the price it really is something special.

The location is slightly away from Sairee Beach, which makes it nice and quiet and relaxing, but a 15/20 min walk will have you on the beach and amongst the bars. The hotel offer free transfers to and from the pier and diving schools, but also available are good quality scooters for a mere 200 Baht a day to drive into town or explore the island.

I would recommend a stay to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Ian,

We really appreciate all your comments. Aminjirah started out as a private home some 15 years ago and in a way it still is. And we want to keep it that way.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed in a Starlight Fantasea room in April.  First, the good:
1. Location of the hotel is good...a 5 minute scooter ride out of Sairee...far enough away to be quiet, yet close enough to get to town whenever you like.
2. The view from anywhere on the property is stunning.
3. Staff is very friendly and the manager speaks good English and will be happy to help you with any questions.
Now, the not so good:
I will preface this by saying that April is probably the worst month to visit Koh Tao as it is the very end of the dry season and water shortages and power cuts are rampant everywhere on the island.  The hotel has a backup generator that usually kicks on pretty quickly, so if the power does go out, it doesn't stay out for very long.
1. Room size is very small for the price.
2. Wifi works when it feels like it (about 1/2 of the time during our 8 day stay)
3. Scary power outlet next to the bed (tripped the breaker whenever anything was plugged into it).
4. The shuttle driver wasn't there to pick us up when we arrived on the boat.  We tried to call the hotel but didn't get through.  We ended up taking a taxi for 300 baht to get to the hotel.  The manager was somewhat apologetic and offered to take us to town for free sometime.

and now for the worst part:

4. Horrible sewage stench from the air conditioner around 10pm every night.   This one took a couple of days to figure out.  We were laying on the bed watching TV when we noticed a horrible smell.  My husband looked around for the source and determined that it was coming from the AC unit.  Since it was about 9:30 at night, he had to look around a bit before he found the manager to come check it out.  He came to the room and smelled the stench and said that he thought it might be the filter or something.  He said that he'd send someone around in the morning to clean it thoroughly.  My husband told him that we thought that some kind of sewage smell had to be entering the AC intake somewhere, but he said that it was a closed system and that that wasn't possible.  Ok.  We suffered for the next two hours or so until the smell seemed to get better.
The next day we went out for the day and when we returned, the room had been cleaned as usual.  We couldn't tell if the AC had been serviced or not, but we figured we'd wait and see.  That night around 10pm I was sitting on the balcony when I heard the sound of rushing water from somewhere down the cliff below.  My husband was inside on the computer at the time and all of a sudden, the stench of sewage filled the room!  We surmised that the hotel must empty out its septic tanks at that time every night, and that the intake for our AC system must be located somewhere near where the sewage comes out.  It was unpleasant in the extreme, and usually lasted around an hour or two before it finally cleared up enough for us to sleep.

Bottom line:
For $50-$60 a night, we would have been very happy with this hotel.  For more that double that, we felt like it was quite overpriced.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Jstarr23,

First of all I am pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful and our views beautiful and that I am truly sorry for the problems you faced.

The sewage issue you mention was caused be inadequate removal of sewage. The island's one and only sewage truck come at regular intervals to remove sewage from the sewage tanks, but unfortunately due to human error on our part, one of the tanks had not been emptied as frequently as it should have and nobody has noticed this error.

It is most certainly not something you should have experienced I can only apologize for the inconveniences you faced and wish I had been there are the time to do whatever I could to alleviate the situation.

With these issues in mind I can certainly understand that you would feel the price of the stay did not match the value and would therefore like to offer you a great deal if you ever return to Koh Tao. Just send me an email at stay@theaminjirah.com. I truly am sorry for the detriment this had to your stay with us.

Furthermore I do wish to point out for future guests, that the above occurrence is obviously not a daily, monthly or even yearly event. When you are on a small island with less than adequate water supply, electricity grod and without a proper sanitation solution unpleasant situations are always a possibility. Yet, we do our VERY best to ensure that such situations such as the above does not occur. When they do we learn from them and improve.

Finally, we do indeed offer free transportation to and from Koh Tao's pier on arrival and departure but we must be informed ahead of time which boat, what time and from guests arrive. There are 3 different piers on the island and with thousands of travelers arriving daily, we simply cannot guarantee the transfer if we do not have the guests itinerary.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Absolutely beautifully set-out hotel with the natural features incorporated into the various rooms and facilities. It was very insightful of the owners to bring nature, as opposed to trying to 'push' it out.

The hotel owners took the time to personally great me once I was settled in (having a beer by the infinity pool).

The rooms were stunning. Always smelling of essential oils. Food was always good quality and the staff were fantastic.

I will be returning the next time I'm on Koh Tao.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Guest

We appreciate your comments about the natural features of our resort. Especially the rocks on the island are so cool and we are really happy to have them everywhere including in our reception and rooms.