“Absolutely beautiful”

Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Absolutely beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at Aminjirah in April for 3 nights as a bit of a celebration. It was incredible, absolutely breathtaking. The pool is sublime, just floating about looking out into the ocean. It's so stunning. We stayed in a room right on the pool the first night and then moved to a different room up a bit higher, overlooking the pool. They were both lovely rooms, but quite different. We really enjoyed both of them (we had to move because we had only originally booked for 1 night night loved it so much we extended for 2 more nights but our room was already booked). We ate at the hotel every night and had lunch there sometimes as well. The food is good, the service is lovely. Taxis on Koh Tao are stupidly expensive and the hotel is so lovely that we didn't bother heading into the town at night to try other restaurants. Sam at reception is so incredibly friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much bother for him. We'll definitely stay at Aminjirah again if we're back in Koh Tao.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caitiepietravels
Dear Guest

We are so happy you really enjoyed Aminjirah and especially our dining options. Taxis are indeed a bit expensive unfortunately, but renting a moped is a good option to really see the island (provided you know how to drive one).

Please do come again :-)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

This past winter I had the chance to re-visit Koh Tao.

Having visited the island many times in the past I felt I knew my way around, but traveling with my elderly parents meant I'd have to find an accommodation that was better suited to my parents’ mobility issues and delivered a higher standard of luxury than the beach bungalows I was accustomed to.

Aminjirah Resort was not a place that I had heard of before and was hesitant to book anything on-line (I prefer to see it in person first) but am I ever glad I reserved this place.

The view is AMAZING. Jaw dropping. Astounding. When you walk down to the pool for the first time (every time) it has a wow factor that cannot be described.

The food was great. I prefer authentic Thai food and was not disappointed. My parents prefer the western food they are used to, and the kitchen was competent there as well. In fact, the pizza was shockingly good.

The room we had was fantastic. Three bedroom, close to the pool and the lobby and HUGE.

And lastly, but most importantly, the staff were fantastic. I have been going to Thailand for over a decade and the thing I love most is the atmosphere found at family run resorts. I was worried that it would be lost at an upscale place like this. It was not. The place felt just as warm and as welcoming as the tiny bungalow operations I've grown to love.

This place is tops. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah M
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for your lovely words. It was a pleasure providing accommodation for you and your parents and we hope you will visit us next time you return to Koh Tao.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I selfishly do not want to write a review on this hotel because it has been such a well kept secret. I traveled to Thailand last year and the experience I had at this hotel was one of the highlights of my entire two week trip. I will always remember looking over the infinity pool into the vast ocean, and will always remember how kind and hospitable the staff at the resort was. Everything was well kept and clean and I could not ask for a better stay! If/when I ever come back to Thailand, I will 100% revisit this little gem on Koh Tao.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Erika F
Dear Erika

Thank you so much for "finally" taking your time to write a review. It's been a while since you visited and by now we have hopefully improved lots of thing here at Aminjirah and the view is the same :-)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

My family and I visited Aminjirah Resort in March 2014 for a few days and we could not have been more pleased! The property is spectacular, perched high above the sparkling waters of Koh Tao. Rooms were comfortable and big. Very cozy beds. The balconies made a great place to enjoy a glass of wine.

But, the real show at this hotel is their spectacular negative edge pool! It is as good or better than the pictures! Wonderful lounge chairs to hang out in, a great covered daybed that's great to snag. The restaurant has good food, and breakfast was great.

We went into town almost every day, down to the beach, which wasn't too bad. The resort would drive us whenever their was availability in a truck. Taxis were also pretty cheap and available to take us as well. We have 5 kids, so mopeds didn't work for us, but if you're a couple, that is probably the way to go!

Room Tip: We loved our rooms which were above the restaurant - just the two in the building which was nice!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MisoPiso
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Having a few kids of our own, we love when families visit. It creates a beautiful and fun atmosphere and we thank you for your support and patronage.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I really enjoyed my time spent in the Aminjirah Resort! The Staff were lovely and very attentive to my friend and I. As this hotel is up on a hill, you get views that I don't believe you will see from other parts of the island. Overall, I'd recommend this hotel for people who want to be away from the main area, yet it's also only a 15-20 minute walk in, or 2 minute ride in a car. The car ride can be a little pricey but what's the rush in thailand - why not walk!

We stayed in one of the 'ocean view' rooms which had breath taking views that could be seen lying in bed or from the balcony. The room provided all necessities including; TV with cable, bar fridge, closet, air conditioning, kettle, blow dryer etc. The rooms are set up with an optional romantic lighting - a unique feature that I rarely see in hotel rooms in Thailand.

There was a stunning infinity pool that my friend and I used frequently as there was no beach on the island (that we could find). Surrounding the pool were lounge chairs and hammocks.

The breakfast is very basic, but satisfying to our needs, and they provided lunch and dinner menus. However, we mostly ate in town.

May I warn, those who have not visited the Island before - be aware of a very troppy boat ride in. I recommend contacting the hotel in advance to pick you up from the dock.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms (just above the pool) are ideal positions. Amazing view and worth that little bit e...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lauren K
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Glad you liked our "romantic" lighting and views. I believe you must have stayed in one of our Ocean Mystique rooms, looking at your review.

Hope to welcome you back in the future...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed at the Aminjirah for a week with my friend, when we arrived we were greeted by the friendly manager San and told we'd upgraded to a better room with a sea view. The room was beautiful and the view was even better, it was cleaned every day with fresh towels and bed linen. The staff were super friendly and looked after us so well. The pool is where we spent a lot of our time, especially nice after a long day at the beach or exploring, cooling down at sunset was a must. We enjoyed our stay here so much we extended it by a couple of days! It is very high up on the island though and can be a expensive getting taxis up that big hill if you are spending a lot of your time in Sairee especially at night when walking in the dark isn't really ideal, the hotel will always help arrange a cab or drop you off in the hotel cars if you let them know.
All in all we had the best time here, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for time out somewhere a bit special. I would definitely make a return trip, can't stop daydreaming about lying by the pool looking at that view with a mango shake in hand......

• Stayed April 2014
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Kashkashkash,

It suits us very nicely when guests just enjoy our pool and don't leave the resort :-) Glad you loved it here..
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We had a wonderful week at the Aminjirah in January 2014. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the service was great, everyone was very helpful. We stayed in a Starlight Fantasea room which had a wonderful view of the sea from the balcony. It doesn't get much better than having cocktails by the infinity pool watching the sunset.

We didn't hire a scooter and it was definitely possible to walk down to the beach (though it was more pleasant by taxi).

The only suggestion I would make is that the coloured mood lighting in the room, whilst very atmospheric and romantic, wasn't particularly easy to see by! It would be good to have the option of turning brighter lights - though maybe there was and I just couldn't find the switch!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Rachael,

Glad to hear you found the walk down to town and beach easy and pleasant. Personally we also find it an easy walk if you avoid the midday sun and take a relaxed page.