“The pool and view are AWESOME!”
Review of Aminjirah Resort

Aminjirah Resort
Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights, there are good and so-so things to say:

Good:
-Amazing pool, probably the best view i've ever seen from a pool.
-Friendly front desk
-Nice view from the room (and nice hammock!!)
-Pretty garden at the hotel
-The cutest little dog at the reception :)

So-so:
-Breakfast was alright, not good, but not horrible (except for the bread with mould on one day)
-Facility seems a bit run down, it's not a major concern though.
-Pretty bad food at the restaurent, could have been worse though

All in all it was a decent stay, not dissapointed! You can walk to the city (it's hilly though) or you can rent a moped (200 baht).
I can however only give 3 stars as the only thing they really have going for them is the view / pool. My biggest issue was the lack of proffesionalism/awareness (mould on the bread at breakfast/coming back at 22:30 from the city and the hotel is "closed" and the guy at the front desk is sleeping behind the desk).

With that being said I would recommend it :) they are friendly and the views are awesome.. but for what you get for your money elsewhere in Thailand, the service and room will probably not be as nice here.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, otherwise get another hotel..
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lau S
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kinds words about our view and pool. It is getting towards the end of peak season and the end of the season, which means it is time for the yearly refresher of facilities. Pool deck, buildings etc. will soon get a bit of paint to restore the resort to a pristine look. Over the year all resorts here (and probably in Thailand) takes a beating from the strong strong sun, the winds, the salt water and the crazy rain.

I am terribly sorry that you experienced mould on a piece of bread and this will certainly be brought to the attention of the kitchen.

With regards to the hotel being closed at 10:30 and there is a guy sleeping behind the reception then that is our security guard who there in order to get management if any guest needs assistance.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,284)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were particularly impressed with the service of the personnel: they were all very friendly, and helped us in every way, including arranging trips and making calls for us in Thai. They also took us to the port at like 5 in the morning for free to catch our ferry. They also helped us move to another room (which was not actually allowed), and they were always willing to help. Besides that, the rooms are excellent (except the cheap rooms, they have rats in the ceiling). You get your own private balcony with a view to the sea at the more expensive rooms (although at night there were rats there as well). The pool and view are spectacular. The cocktails and the food are also great, although the food has been westernized a bit. Great resort to relax and chill down.

The resort is VERY far from the center, we walked it a couple of times but it takes at least 20 minutes. In the dark it's pretty scary because there are no lights, cars and mopeds can't see you, and there are dogs. You can take a VERY expensive taxi from the center, but we usually just started walking and raised the international symbol for hitchhiking when a pickup truck drove by. Usually somebody was willing to take us there, you just jump in the back, and hit the cabin if you need to get out. But there is a good chance you meet the hotel pickup-truck along the way as well, they seem to be driving back and forth.

Room Tip: The cheap rooms have rats in the ceiling and are very dark and have a poor view. The expensive rooms...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir

Thank you for your kind review and lovely words. Especially your nice words about our personnel and service. I was also pleased that you were happy with the offerings about our food and bar services.

With regards to your assessment that there are "rats" in the ceilings, that is simply not correct. What you have heard would have been the local friendly geckos that scurry along to catch their dinner or late night snack. They are the ones saying "Tookay Tookay Tookay" and you should listen for it as if you hear it 9 times in a row it is meant to bring luck.

With regards to our location, once again I would like to put things in perspective: Koh Tao is such a small island! It is on 21 sqm kms and from our resort to the nearest village is 3 minutes on a moped or a 15 - 20 minute walk. We provide free daily transfers and also provide taxi outside these ours quite a bit cheaper than the local taxis.

Once again, thank you for your kinds words.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have given a fair bit of thought to the rating to give this hotel. It has a number of downsides which will have earned it a three star from me, but the generally good service, friendly staff, great views and the comparatively low price I paid for the room result in a four star from me, but I will outline the negatives as well as the positives. Let's go in order.

The booking process:
The process is two stage, an enquiry about availability and then actual booking. I found it quite easy and got prompt responses from the hotel. A downside is that it requires full payment immediately on booking. Most hotels ask for a deposit only.
There was a bit of a lack of information in the process - for example, I wasn't informed there was a transfer from ferry to the hotel and only found out after searching through the hotel website and emailing the hotel to confirm the transfer. I think it would be a good piece of information to provide with booking confirmation.

Transfer to the hotel:
I had no trouble spotting the Aminjarah sign in the throng of drivers waiting to pick people up. It is a bit chaotic, but that's not the hotel's fault. The driver helped me with my bags. The vehicle is a pickup truck, but at least had a roof and removable side covers - something which proved very handy as the day I arrived was rainy. That wasn't the case for some other pickup trucks. We did have to wait a fair while for the driver to locate all passengers, but I don't know why that occurred, so may not have been the driver's fault at all.

One thing I realised on the drive to the hotel is that it is not going to be easily accessible on foot. There are some very impressive, steep hills, what would be a nightmare to negotiate in the Thailand heat. More on this later.

The checkin process:
The checkin was quite smooth. A cold towel and a cold drink were provided. The lady from reception who took me to my room provided only the most cursory introduction to the hotel, but there wasn't really much to say. She pointed in the general direction of the pool/breakfast place and that was it. One of the men brought my bag up to the room, which was very welcome indeed, as there was no way that I would have got it up the many steep stairs on the way.

The lady provided a very brief introduction to the room, which later proved to be incorrect in part. She told me that the safe could only be opened with a key and left it at that. Later, when I tried to use the safe, I couldn't find the key hole. I had to go back to the reception (lots and lots of stairs!), and a lovely gentleman showed me how to find the hidden key hole and also showed how the safe could be used with a number combination. He mentioned that lots of guests had problems finding the key hole. Well, the obvious solution to that is either (a) provision of written instructions on safe use or (b) a proper briefing on its use. Guests provided with information are less likely to bother staff with questions.

The room:
I booked the Ocean Breaze room and found it quite spacious and adequate. It was spotlessly clean, had a large bed, two bedside tables, a chest of draws, TV cabinet and a very small table in the corner for tea/coffee things. The small balcony had a hammock and a bench, as well as a drying rack and was generally quite a pleasant space. A wardrobe and a fridge were placed in an area leading to the bathroom. The bathroom itself was a wetroom style - open shower with no shower cabin. Not a configuration I like, but it worked well enough.

Starting with the bathroom - it was reasonably large, spotlessly clean and provided with ample towels. I didn't have any problems with water, hot or cold. There is a very nice shelf for toiletries near the shower, but none near the sink. It would be really handy to have one. It would also be very handy to have some rails or hooks in the door to hang clothes while showering. The hotel supplied shampoo, conditioner, shower cap, soap and cotton buds. I found it very odd, as well as inconvenient, that no body wash/shower gel was supplied. there were however two bottles of body lotion. I used the shampoo as a body wash, but the hotel should consider supplying body wash, as is standard in all non-budget hotels.

The room itself was sufficiently spacious, but had some irksome downsides. First, the room is illuminated by "mood lighting". These coloured lights make it impossible to read or do anything that requires seeing in the room after dark. I had to read a dive manual in the evening and had to take a stool into the wardrobe/fridge area and sit there, because it was the only source of normal light. Some may find mood lighting romantic, I found it useless and annoying.

The room had two bedside lamps, but they were flimsy constructions. If you accidentally touched the lamp shade, it would slide sideways and/or the whole lamp would crash to the floor. After it happened twice in one night with one of the lamps, I removed it from the table and deposited it in the corner of the room to avoid an electrical incident.

The bed was large and nicely furnished, but the mattress was very, very hard. For someone who is a side sleeper, it was quite uncomfortable. It may be ok for back sleepers or people who like rock-hard beds.

One part of the room that was a source of much frustration was the door. It was not easy to open/close and the lock was often hard to turn and would not work unless the door was slammed into the frame. It took me a few days to get the hang of it and even then some slamming and forceful handling was required.

For all that, it was quite a good room, with great view when curtains were open or from the balcony. The aircon worked well. I didn't use the TV, so can't comment on it (it was the old CRT style). There was wifi in the room, which was usually reliable and extremely useful. The room was serviced daily and kept very neat and clean. The safe worked well (once its use was explained) and the wardrobe had sufficient space.

Although the view from the room was excellent, and I quite liked it being a bit secluded, that came at a cost. Stairs. Lots of them. Some very steep. Getting to the room was a bit of an ordeal and I was quite nervous climbing down the stairs due to their steepness. It is certainly not a location for mobility impaired people. There was generally adequate illumination to make the paths reasonably safe.

Pool/bar/restaurant:
The best feature of the hotel is the infinity pool. The view from the pool area is stunning in good weather. The pool is not as large as appears in the hotel photos, but is a decent size. I saw staff cleaning it early each morning, so it is well maintained. There are nice sun lounges and umbrellas around the pool.

There is a bar and hotel's only restaurant right next to the pool. I've had a number of cocktails from the bar and they were quite good. Definitely no skimping on alcohol! Due to the location issues, discussed below, I had dinner at the hotel most nights. The food was variable - some dishes were very good and some a bit of a disappointment. None were inedible and none were excellent. The thai dishes were the best. Both the food and the drinks were overpriced compared to prices in town, but still a lot cheaper than I'd be paying at home for the same meals, so I didn't mind too much.

The staff speak very little English and, although they go out of their way to be polite and helpful, if you need to ask anything about the food or drinks or request anything, that can't be mimed, you are mostly out of luck. For example, I tried asking what are the ingredients in a cocktail (strangely, not written on the menu - hotel should consider doing so) and got nowhere. I didn't find it a huge issue, to be honest.

I only had two breakfasts at the hotel due to diving early each day and breakfast starting at 7.30, but found the breakfast to be really a bit uninspiring. There were three cereals, a selection of yogurts, some sliced bread and two types of fruit (which weren't very good). Eggs could be cooked on request and were ok and there were sausages, bacon and pancakes. Tea was yellow label bag tea. I didn't try the coffee but was told by a couple of other guests that it wasn't good. The breakfast didn't appear to change.

To offset that, the view was good, there is very good wifi reception in the pool/restaurant area and the waiters were friendly.

Now for the pet peeve about the pool area: the hotel allows people from outside the hotel to use the pool/sun beds etc. There is a sign that guests should have priority to sun beds, but it didn't get policed. I arrived one afternoon to find all sun beds taken, the hotel staff did nothing and didn't appear to understand the problem and I only ended up getting a sun bed because one of the other guests noticed that a woman spread her stuff over three lounges (while sitting in the pool and not using any of them). On good evenings, the number of these interlopers was quite large, resulting in a crowded pool and pool area, noise and people smoking while near the pool and generally making it hard to relax and enjoy.

It is not usual to allow people from outside the hotel to use the hotel pool. It may have been ok had the pool and surrounding area been large, but it is not. While I understand that the hotel makes some extra money from bar sales that way, the hotel guests paid for rooms at the hotel and, to be frank, the pool is its chief attraction. It is not right that peace and quiet should be disturbed or that paying guests should compete for lounges and face overcrowding when moped gangs from local hostels gather to watch the sunset. The staff do not appear to be able to police the behaviour of these interlopers (and it is difficult to see how they could with virtually no English)

The location:
This proved to be more a negative than a positive. The hotel does enjoy good views, but there is nothing around the hotel - it is very isolated. Sairee beach is about 2km away, which may have made for a pleasant walk in a different terrain. But there are some very steep hills between Sairee and the hotel. Too steep to walk in the heat of the day and, at least for me, too frightening to walk in the dark. That's without even the cars, motorbikes and quad bikes racing on the road at speed.

If you can ride a motorbike or scooter, it would be a short trip to town. I can't and, as the owners of Aminjarah pointed out recently on the Koh Tao forum after two guests were seriously injured in an accident, Koh Tao roads are definitely not the place to learn! Even if I could ride, and was willing to brave the steep, winding road full of devil may care drivers, the hire shops are notorious for ripping tourists off. Even the supposedly reliable place next door requires your passports as the "deposit". It is actually illegal for me to hand over my passport, nor would I consider doing so.

The hotel provides two shuttles to town, but at such times that it was only useful to me on one occasion. So that left taxi as the only option. The hotel can organise a taxi to town (Sairee or Mae Head) for 200 baht, which is actually cheaper than what you get otherwise. The car is very comfortable and the driver is lovely and friendly. Getting back, you are unlikely to find a taxi for under 300 baht (one tried to ask me for 400!).

The result was that once I got back to the hotel from a day of diving, I was basically stuck there for the evening/dinner, unless I wanted to pay more than the price of the dinner just getting to and from town.

There is also no beach access from the hotel, so a boat taxi is not an option (it wouldn't be cheaper, but possibly more pleasant)

Service:
The gentleman at reception was always very pleasant and attentive. When the hotel staff mentioned that I was not making it to breakfast due to diving in the morning (I had asked them for a tub of yogurt to take with me), he arranged for some food to be delivered to me the night before, so I had something to eat in the morning. This attentiveness is one of the main reasons I'm giving this hotel a four rather than three stars.

The lady at reception was less attentive, but fulfilled the various requests (usually taxi bookings). The staff at the bar/restaurant were attentive and pleasant, but communication with them was difficult due to language barrier. Surprisingly, although I had dinner at the hotel for some 10 nights in a row, they could never remember my room number, but it is really not difficult to repeat it.

All things considered, it was a good hotel for the money that I paid. The long track to town on difficult road is the main downside.

Room Tip: The view is the chief attraction of the hotel - get a room with a view. If you have mobility issues...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank flyte_of_fancy
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us at The Aminjirah and for providing such a thorough and mostly postive review of your stay.

Your lovely and thorough feedback is very much appreciated. I am delighted to read your comments about our service and nice staff.

With regards to the less positive issues you bring up, it is certainly something we will look it and in fact we have already re-trained our front desk girl to understand the safety box issue and have also provided in-room instructions.

The room you stayed in, an Ocean Paradise, sound like the very top one with the most stairs indeed. The others have less, but in the plus side - the view is just fantastic from it. Sorry you felt the bed was too hard - personally I find it very comfortable and not hard (also a side sleeper), so we would have to write that off to a matter of personal preference.

We truly find our location a blessing, The island is very small and we feel absolutely crazy lucky to be located on a wonderful cliff side with fantastic views, but still close to everything. Granted, you can get winded walking back up the the resort from the beach or from Sairee Village but walking down is really not a big deal. My parents in their sixties do it every time they visit. As mentioned on the website and in other responses, we do provide free transfers to the village twice daily. What many first time travelers to Koh Tao do not realize, is that the island is SO SMALL. If there was a road all the way around it (which there isn't) you could drive around on a moped in an hour, so let's put that in perspective. Furthermore, staying by Sairee Beach itself is VERY VERY noisy at night. Just look at the reviews of most beach resorts. Staying at other beaches are arguably much further away from everything that we are.

We do clearly state on our website that we provide complimentary transfers and do not feel it is too much to ask that guests actually review the contents of the website prior to booking. Our website also allows for instant confirmation IF there is available rooms. If not you may submit a booking and we will respond with what is available, as we did in your case. During peak season we are often able to offer an alternative if guests are open to possibly moving one or twice during a long stay.

We wholeheartedly agree that not all our staff's English is good enough, but we hope their demeanor makes up for it. It is indeed increasingly difficult to get staff with passable English skills on Koh Tao unfortunately. So it is something potential guests should be aware of visiting Koh Tao.

Once again thank you for your fair and thorough review and hope to see you again!

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The resort is beautiful
Great pool suitable for kids as well and we had a lovely family time
The staff members are very friendly and helped us with the suitcases and any other help
One thing is that we took Ocean Mystique the first night and Garden Budget the second time
The first one was fantastic although not big however the garden budget is not about being small but rather of not having air in the room
It's also small and also has a small window
In all I would recommend staying only on the high price room or none.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and it was especially nice to read that your kids had a great experience.

Hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was a lovely quiet and small resort on the beautiful island of Koh Tao - wish we'd been staying longer than only 3 nights. Unfortunately there was a bit of a mix up and so we didn't have the room with the sea view which we had booked, which was frustrating, but the manager offered us a free meal and drinks at their restaurant which we were happy to accept. The main selling point for this place is the view from the pool - it was so nice just to watch the sun set. Yes, it was a little walk away from the main beach on that side of the island, but it was good to have a bit of an explore, and easy enough to get a taxi back home at night.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we thank you for your kind words. Please email us with the details of the room mixup so we can investigate what happened.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed at Aminjirah for six days, during a time when the weather varied from blazing sunshine to tropical storm often within a few hours. When the weather was good, the incredible views from the infinity pool and the opportunity to laze in the sunshine almost allowed you to forget about some significant issues which make this just an OK rather than a great resort.

We arrived by ferry into Koh Tao early afternoon. While we had admittedly arranged our transfer with the hotel a little late in the day, it was still a little disappointing to have to wander off into the car park on arrival to find our pick-up, who was nowhere to be seen amongst the throng of other hotel cards being held up.

On arrival at the hotel itself, we were met with a drink of cold fruit juice and a cold towel, which was nice, but there was little by way of induction or introduction to the hotel other than a quick explanation of when breakfast was (rather than for example where it was) and the availability of the daily shuttle. This was exacerbated by the lack of any information of any kind in the hotel room itself.

We had booked the Ocean Sunset Dream room, which is beautifully located right next to the infinity pool and has a truly stunning view out to sea from its private balcony. At first sight the room itself also looked lovely, with a big bed festooned with flowers on our arrival and an open bathroom/wet room next door. It was only as we explored further that a few problems became apparent.

The bed itself had a mattress which was incredibly hard, something which made sleeping difficult on occasions. Added to which, the air-conditioning in the room was provided by a wall-mounted unit situated along one side of the bed which - despite a number of different settings - seemed incapable of providing anything other than a ferocious gale of cold air, the alternative being the stifling heat of Thailand in August. In the end we managed to insulate ourselves from this by using the drapes around the bed as a form of windbreak.

On our first night, we decided to eat in the hotel and found ourselves very disappointed - after a delay starters and mains arrived at the same time, swathed in tin foil which might suggest they were cooked if not off-site then some way away. Both our main courses - pizza and 'chilli pot' respectively - were very poor.

And here another problem became apparent which - while it might seem trivial - was the source of difficulties on a number of occasions not just for us but seemingly for most of those staying at Aminjirah. While friendly and willing, very few of the staff speak English well, or, in cases, at all. That's maybe understandable, but on occasion those who were least proficient seemed to be chosen to undertake roles which required the most interaction with guests. So even simple request were either misunderstood or required lengthy discussion, gesticulation and pointing.

A few other issues.

Breakfast is served alongside the infinity pool. While this is a lovely location, the food on offer is to be honest quite basic and poorly-presented, comprising as it does sliced bread plus toaster, yoghurt, juice and cereal and stewed filter coffee so strong we opted for instant coffee after the first day. (Going back to the lack of information on the hotel for example, it was only on the third day that we realised that there was a member of staff who could cook eggs for us on request).

Aminjirah is situated on a hill some way out of Sairee Village, the biggest town on Koh Tao and the location of most local bars, shops and restaurants. It is a distance which we walked back to hotel on two evenings and is probably not for the faint-hearted or the unfit. The road back is in places very steep and often poorly-lit, and you have to keep your wits around you with mopeds and 4x4s coming past at speed on a regular basis over a 15-20 minute walk.

The hotel provides a taxi service into the village (at 200 Baht) on request and a free shuttle - again only into the village - at 11am and 3pm. To be honest these timings seem a little odd and the hotel could gain a great deal of goodwill by providing a more regular shuttle service both into and back from the village say every hour or couple of hours. As it is, at present, aside from hiring a moped during your stay, the only other option of getting back - aside from walking - is to haggle with local taxi drivers whose monopoly position allows them to charge a couple of people 400 Baht (so about £8) for what is a trip of probably little more than a mile.

On occasions when it is clear that there is going to be a clear evening and so a good sunset (we were lucky to have a couple of these during our visit), the numbers around the pool are boosted (perhaps doubled or more) by people coming from outside of the hotel to enjoy the view. The hotel rules, prominently displayed by the pool, state that hotel guests should have priority for sun beds etc, but certainly on the two occasion this happened during our visit, while we were't personally affected, there was absolutely no sign of this being policed, nor it seems any watch kept on the sheer number of people coming to use the pool from outside (all of whom are able to walk into the grounds without going through reception) making on occasions a pretty raucous atmosphere.

On a more positive note, on one day of our stay we went on a snorkelling trip round the island with a company recommended by the hotel - Sangthong Tours. While the weather wasn't the best, this was absolutely excellent and very well-organised, with a transfer from and to the hotel and a good lunch included in a very reasonable cost (I think 1500 Baht for two).

It's also worth mentioning that - in keeping with the rest of the island - Aminjirah is also subject to occasional power cuts. In our experience, these tended to occur around the same time (between 6 and 7pm) each evening, but never lasted for more than a few minutes. Against that, it does have free - and generally reliable - wifi.

So all in all, our experience was a varied one. The key disappointment was that for a little more thought and organisation, Aminjirah could really be a lovely resort. But at the moment, there remain a number of areas which means that our memories of our stay will be mixed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LondonPhilC

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review and for the details you brought up. We have already added more details to our room information to ensure a better guest experience. With regards to transfers, you did send the details too late for us to act on it and we wished you would have called us as per the numbers given for transfers, so we could have been of assistance.

We are also sorry to hear that you found the restaurant not up to par. We usually get very warm reviews, so that's of course a little disappointing to hear. Breakfast is buffet style and we have an egg station where a cook is preparing eggs of all types all morning. Not sure how you missed it, considering you walk past it to get to the buffet.

Nevertheless we have made a note of your comments and will strive to improve.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We have just had a 4 night stay in Aminjirah and after a free shuttle from the pier which was a bumpy ride we arrived. With only one person checking 5 different groups in it took a while but we were greeted with a glass of juice and cold towel.

We paid for the ocean paradise room as it was the only one thy had and this came at a price! It did have a lovely view, big bedroom and long balcony but it was just above where breakfast is served so from 6.30am it is loud and you can hear the music in the evening. This didn't bother us as it wasn't that loud.

Due to cloudy days we didn't experience the great sunset but did enjoy a day at the infinity pool which is pretty spectacular. Small but good. It is a very small resort, it can be tight round the pool so get your towel down there early.

Staff are extremely polite and lovely but Do not speak great English but did try. They are very kind and welcoming though.

You can rent motorbikes from the shop next door open 8-5pm or 200 baht per day leaving your passport with them. We didn't use them but they seemed good and not like other places in koh Tao. But be careful, we saw a lot of injuries from bikes!

The food is good, a little more expensive than in Sariee but by the time you take a taxi there you might as well eat in the restaurant. It is about a 20 min walk to the village but longer on the way back. Quite hilly! Also people drive like maniacs so be careful if you walk back in the dark!

I recommend the snorkelling boat tour, a whole day for 750 baht and this includes lunch and a taxi to the boat and back. Great value and a great day.

So all in all, a good place to stay but I'd keep to the cheaper rooms. I do think the electric is somewhat dangerous or it was in our room. It kept cutting out and plugs were loose and had black burn marks around one of them. But even with this I'm sure we will stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends