“Vested interest only”
Review of Asia Divers Resort

Asia Divers Resort
Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I had a fantastic time at Asia divers whilst I was there for a week in July '11. So only when I left and thought back on my time there, when the mist of happiness had blown away from in front of my eyes, could I see what the resort is really like.

Me and my partner were lured in to staying at Asia divers, firstly, from a different Island. We were told that if we booked our dive courses off the island, they would be cheaper, and were promised that if we looked around whilst we were there, and decided to go else where, we'd receive a full refund on our deposit. We were planning on spending a few nights staying in a different place on the island before starting the dive courses but were told to go to the Asia divers office when we first arrived on the island to confirm our booking. Whilst we were in the office we were given a 'secret tip' by the British guy who could see their booking screen. He said that if we arrived at Asia Divers that day, instead of waiting, we'd be given a superior room for the price of a standard one, as the standard ones were fully booked. We followed his advise and arrived there earlier than expected only to be given a damp, smelly, boiling hot standard room. We asked if we could move to another room in hope of it been slightly less smelly, but it wasn't. The room was quiet, which was really good and came with free wifi but it was wasn't very reliable.

The resort has a pool which is great, but it was far from clean. And it is in a good location which is quiet, and close to local shops and restaurants.

As for the diving, it was excellent. The dive staff were friendly and helpful (unlike the resort staff who were uninterested almost to the point of being rude). We enjoyed the diving so much that we booked a couple of fun dives after our course. It was at this point that were let down by the fact that we had two people diving with us that (unaware to the dive master) weren't certified and were all over the place in the water! No one had checked to see if they had licenses (dangerous).

On leaving the resort, we settled the bill and paid a little extra for Asia divers to send off our certifications to PADI for us. We're still for our licences to arrive 4 months later.

Room Tip: I can imagine upstairs rooms are cooler and cleaner. I'm pretty sure the superiors would be love...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trav_OLs

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Stayed here for four nights at first and extended by another four. It's simple but a solid bet. The fan room was plenty cool in November but the always-swiveling fan is still a pain, I turned it off and slept uncovered. The resort is several hundred meters from the beach, but you're not missing out on much - Sairee beach is shallow, sometimes smelly, and although Koh Tao is pretty mellow on the whole, there's a couple inconsiderate bars that blast music on the beach at night. Asia Divers Resort is about a 30min walk from the piers, I never took the shuttle that Asia offers. A basic fan room is currently 600baht without breakfast. The restaurant is ok. I found the staff friendly and accommodating, I'm not sure what other people are complaining about. I did notice a few bossy/hungover/didn't-know-even-how-to-say-hello-in-the-local-lingo tourists in Koh Tao, but that will get you rude treatment anywhere.

You can book just about anything at the front desk for good prices. I dove with a place in town that was recommended to me. Asia's diving school seemed rushed (3 days for Open Water cert is standard on Koh Tao which is insanely rushed anyhow) and somewhat impersonal. Booking rooms in one-week blocks will get you a 10% discount, and one-month blocks something like 40%. Wifi is free, but flaky unless you sit in the lobby. Close any window that doesn't have a solid bug screen, and stick a towel at the bottom of the door to keep the bugs from flying through the crack. And look for the secret turtle hideaway near the pool.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor if possible; the toads get absurdly loud at night on the first floor...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Ok, so some reviews complain about the staff and the restaurant, but what's the point? If you're in Koh Tao you're probably travelling, so you're going to be eating out a lot. A place like Koh Tao there's a huge selection of restaurants, so why eat at the hotel? Go to the indian down the road and to the left, it's AMAZING. And a lot of thai hotel workers are a bit moody, but wouldn't you be if you were earning about $2 a day? See it from their point of view, you earn at least 20 times more them then and they see people like us day in day out!

The location of this Hotel is good - just away from the rabble, but only a minutes walk from all the bars. They have diving instructors on site and the pool is specially designed for diving (the deep end is about 4 metres!) I'm not a diver myself, so I cannot comment on the competancy of the diving staff, but I saw them around a lot and they seemed very nice.

The pool is often occupied by divers, but you can still use it, just check they're not in the deep end before doing lengths!

We were coaxed into the room whilst waiting for our ferry from Phangan to Tao by a charming gentleman called 'Boy'. Everything he offered, we got and within our price range. There is only one grumble that I have with our room and that is that the air conditioning was fixed in a stupid place that really didn't condition our air - solution; man up.

Value - 4/5
Location - 5/5
Comfort - 3/5
Cockroaches seen - 0. (lots of lizards in the halway outside, but we like them, they eat up the nasty insects).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Having stayed there recently I have to agree with previous negative reviews,The positives are 1. Close to everything
2. Dive Staff were friendly and helpfull.

Negatives
1. Swimming Pool was not clean
2,Rude Staff, when they were not pruning themselses, texting,watching TV or socialising
3.Restaurant closes early by 7pm
4.Reception closes at 9pm
5.Aircon in the room was poor
6,Room cleaning was hit and miss, to the point they did not clean the bathroom
7.After speaking to other people there seemed to be better places to stay for the same

Would I stay there again? what do you think.......

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank A_Frequent_Flyer_11
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I booked an air con room which was comfortable. The place is an easy walk to Sairee centre but far enough away that it usually doesn't get too noisy. The dive staff are fantastic and were always helpful and friendly. The pool is nice, often full with divers but that is normal for a diving resort.
Onto the less good- The rooms were not cleaned well and often not cleaned at all (Hair pulled out of the drain left draped across the toilet seat anyone? How about the bath mat not being changed in weeks in a hot humid area (I washed it myself in the end) these are just a few examples) The rooms were often due to be cleaned after 4pm in the afternoon which is when you're often back from diving and want to use the room. There's no one supervising overnight so occasionally would get very noisy in the adjacent rooms as the noise level after midnight was not controlled. The fan was very squeeky. The wireless internet was patchy at best and would sometimes be out for days at a time. The staff at the front desk seemed uninterested when asked about this.

All these things I could have lived with quite happily and still would have recommended the place to others however there was a "mix up" with my booking. I'd booked online and had it all confirmed but my room was rebooked to somone else a few days before I was due to leave. Some of the counter staff were VERY rude and completely un-apologetic about it, blaming me in all sorts of inventive and imaginary ways for this happening and when I produced the documents showing I had told them the right dates and they'd confirmed it, all of a sudden they didn't understand what I was saying. They also tried to change me the full cost of the room for the "extra nights" instead of the deal that had been agreed on when I booked.

Accidents happen, I've had mix ups with bookings before, it's no big deal and I've never been upset about it before, but the way this was handled was bad. In the end they did find another room for me to move to which was good as I was really worried when they rebooked my room as most other places in koh tao were completely booked out. It's a shame that it ended in this way, as prior to this I would have recommended this place. If you choose to stay here make sure everything is in writing so you have something to fall back on if this happens to you, and you double check everything with them on arrival.

Room Tip: Multiple people told me the fan rooms were often moldy smelling and very hot, if you can afford, get...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Upon checking in we were advised there were no standard air con rooms available (hard to believe in low season & the fact the resort was pretty empty), okay so we opted for a 'superior' air con room (read 50% more expensive) and maybe a standard available tomorrow for us to move to? "No, we full tomorrow too" the receptionist advised.Finding that extremely hard to believe we checked the web and were able to book a std ac room for the following night online.

The next morning we advised the receptionist we'd booked the std room online, face like thunder she said we'd have to move rooms - miraculously there was one available! WHY LIE?? The resort was at less than 40% occupancy & this is obv a common stunt. It really put us off the resort & we actually regret having booked the second night.

Onto the rooms....the 'superior' room was fine, all mod cons; tv, fridge, hot water, the bed was comfy & a nice big balcony looking onto the garden. there was also decent enough wifi signal. The corridors in the 'superior' block however were full of mozzies & other beasts so deet was necessary at all times. The 'standard' room however was a hovel! There was damp everywhere (see pics), the ac leaked, the beds were like sponge, the bathroom had broken tiles. We were on the upper floor and there were only a couple of lights working making for quite a dangerous walk with only a small wall protecting you from the barbed wire below. There was no wifi signal here either. On the plus side, the balcony was big & furnished & looked onto the mountains.

Overall I would not recommend this resort, the staff seemed to be more interested in preening themselves behind the reception desk than ensuring their customers have a pleasant stay. It is however their loss as we took both our accommodation & diving dollars elsewhere.

Room Tip: go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LulaBird
Reviewed 15 September 2011

General:
It is a nice resort in a good location for short term visits. Everything is in walking distance, but that unfortunately means also, that it is quite loud. Either dogs barking, muay thai boxing fights or people making party in their rooms or at the pool.
There are three main houses with different kind of rooms - I personally stayed in a more expensive room. The room was spacious and clean in the beginning. The rooms get only cleaned when you tell the reception. Sometimes you have to wait six to eight hours, if it even gets cleaned at all.
If you want to complain - go for it, but you will only get a sloppy excuse and nothing changes.
The resort has a pool, which would be very nice, but it is disgusting. The filters are not working properly hence the murky water.
It seems that the owner doesn't care anymore. Stuff gets only fixed, if it is really necessary.
At the reception (which closes at 9pm, what makes sharing a key really difficult) are working several women which apparently think brushing each others hair is counted as working.
The hotel has WiFi, but mostly it is very slowly or not working at all.

Diving:
Here I would like to say, that Claude (which was my instructor) is a really good guy and an amazing teacher!
The equipment is old and not at all good taken care of. The masks have mold in it and are disgusting. Half of the BCD's are falling apart and the regulators have most likely still their first mouthpiece on them. The wetsuits have holes or the zipper is not working.
The boats are ok. Mostly they manage to have enough place on the boat, but not all the time. Sometimes it is too crowded. Always think about taking suncream with you, because one boat doesn't have a shade.
Unfortunately Asia Divers visits the same 5-10 divesites, although there are more than double the amount. So for an open water student it can be that three out of four dives are in the same boring spot. But also for fundivers, which want to dive for a week, they will most likely see only five to eight divesites, which is a pity! Sometimes it's even the same divesite in the morning and the afternoon boat.
Personally I think also that the emergency gear is very poor. The first-aid kit is never well equipped and the emergency oxygen tank is more than rusty - you even need a rusty tool to put it together. That leaves me with the question "do they care about the safety of their customers?".
I had a really good diving course and then I wanted to do some fundives. The Divemaster who is working at Asia Divers is a really nice and funny guy who takes mostly good care of his customers, but I quickly realized, that he is also working at the bar and drinks. I had dives with him when I could feel that he is not in the mood for it. I find that very unprofessional.

Restaurant:
The food is pricey, but very delicious. The staff is very friendly, except for the woman on the counter. She seems to be always in a bad mood and just takes your order and the money. Sometimes you can stand there for a while and she is looking at her computer. So I mostly went to town to get something to eat. There is an amazing bakery around the corner!
Also don't expect to get dinner, the restaurant closes early and then there is only a small bar. On the bar you see mostly only long-termers and staff drinking the day away, even if they dive the next day. I only watched my movie on the bar and then went out to town or across the street to Banyan's bar - as a "normal" guest the bar at Asia Divers is not very welcoming.

Summary:
Good for short-term visits, especially if you do a diving course, then you don't pay for the room. For a stay longer than a diving course i would not recommend it. For this money you can do much better.
If all the things i mentioned before would be fixed, it would be an absolutely great resort, but I don't think that this is ever going to be happening.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Divinggirl81