Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas
US$87
US$68
Agoda.com
Haadtien Beach Resort(Koh Tao)
US$128
US$119
Pinnacle Koh Tao Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$40
US$135
US$113
US$60
US$48
  • Breakfast included
Ban's Diving Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$44
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
In Touch Resort & Restaurant(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$27
Agoda.com
Aminjirah Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$63
US$176
US$163
US$155
US$131
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmillion starsfull moonhuge loungepre arrivalsteep roadabsolutely fell in lovecoffee machinenangyuan islandlovely managermodern designprivate poolcomplimentary taxiliving roomprivate chefwatching the sunsetperfect holidaylovely villa
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful spot. We visited Koh Tao a few years ago and loved the pristine and peaceful island, but now the main strip is becoming more and more developed and with tourists arriving by the boatload, this little corner in Koh Tao was exactly what we needed to remind ourselves of this island's charms. Stunning views, your own privacy, great rooms and design finishes, and easy getting to and from the action of the main strip. Could not picture a better place to stay in Koh Tao. English speaking staff was extremely helpful too.

• Stayed: March 2013
Casasdelsol, Owner at Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you for your review!
Yes, the main town of Sairee has definitely become a busy little strip. Casas del Sol located 5 minutes bike ride from town up a hillside means that we offer a quiet private sanctuary for those who want to be away but not too far from the busy-ness and buzz.
We hope you return to Koh Tao again in the future and we would be very happy to welcome you back at Casas del Sol.
Best wishes!

Reviewed 13 March 2013

We stayed 5 days in the Villa of the Full Moon on our honeymoon. This was the best view of our trip. We found it hard to go out at night because we wanted to watch the sunset from our pool or deck. The Villa is enormous, clean and comfortable. It had everything that we needed and more.
The drive to the Villa is steep. We rented a moped in town, and it was quite an experience driving up and down that road. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I hope we have the chance to go back.

Room Tip: The Villa of the Full Moon was killer- though I'm sure the other rooms are lovely as well. They were building a unit directly next to ours while we were there- looks almost done. That may detract from some of the privacy in the future, but it was fine for us during our stay because we were mostly out during the day while they were working.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Casasdelsol, Owner at Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Thanks for your review!
We are happy to know that you had such a great honeymoon at Casas del Sol.
We look forward to welcome you back in the future.
Best wishes!

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We stayed for a week in the Villa of Green Palms as a family of four (with two teenagers) and had a superb holiday - exactly what we needed to destress. Christina gave very detailed and accurate information by email before we got here and so there were no surprises. Having said that I was surprised at how steep and difficult the roads were around the island in general and Casas del Sol in particular, but that is also the price to pay for having accommodation set up in the hills with a fabulous view away from the bustle of Sairee.

Natalia, the manager, made contact with us by email before our arrival and arranged for Bao to meet us at the ferry terminal in Mae Head. As our villa was being cleaned, we left our bags and went into Sairee for breakfast before returning to unpack our things. The Villa is well-appointed without being luxurious but there is everything one needs, except perhaps a hairdrier. The sheets and towels are plentiful and of good quality. Some bath mats would be a welcome addition as the floors get quite slippery when one's feet are wet. There are little touches, like a coffee machine and a blender which is great for making smoothies with the abundance of fresh fruit one can get here. We made breakfast every day, including scrambled eggs and bacon. My only criticism is that there is no hot water in the kitchen (or bathroom) sinks, so to wash up properly one has to boil the kettle which is not a hardship.

Natalia was extremely helpful and very reactive. When the airconditioner in our room was playing up, she got it fixed straight away. And when we requested additional towels it was no problem. We ended up staying an extra night as we changed our return trip to avoid going back to Bangkok by train from Chumphon. As the villa was not booked we were able to stay on and even check out late, which was highly appreciated.

Following on from other people's comments, there are insects and plenty of geckos but if one makes sure that food is put away, the insects are not a problem, particularly the ants. The geckos do a great job of keeping other insects out, so they are good to have around. I was surprised that the mosquito population was quite low at the Villa. I am very allergic so I am always wary, but being high up on the hill, the mozzies are less if an issue here except at dusk.

Another comment from other people about stairs: all over this island, there are lots of steep stairs to get anywhere. This is not a place for people who have mobility issues or for families with small kids. The Villa is accessible by some fairly steep stairs with no hand rail and around the pool there is nothing preventing a small child from falling. However, the website and Christina's information is very clear about these aspects.

Like a previous traveller, we chose not to rent bikes or quad bikes as we did not feel comfortable with the steep roads. We walked down to Sairee village every day ( a challenging and steep walk in parts!) and then took taxis back up. Bao and Pon are two drivers who are recommended by the Villa and are always available to take one anywhere. We would just call them to fetch us. The price up or down is 400 baht which is pricey but still less than hiring 2 quad bikes a day, so it worked out well. Agreed, you cannot just nip up and down but if you organise your day accordingly it is not a constraint.

Overall we had a wonderful weeks stay and would definitely come back here.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Many thanks for your review.
We are very happy to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay at Casas del Sol.
I am happy that you appreciated all the detailed information provided to you prior to your stay.
As you detailed, we do always inform guests that the roads on Koh Tao can be challenging. Although the main roads and the road to our villa are some of the best roads on Koh Tao, some guests do find the roads more easy than others.
As a little aside - we do provide bath mats in the bathroom areas - and as you mentioned we were happy to provide you with more as needed.
We look forward to welcome you back here in the future!
Best wishes.

Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the villa of the rising sun for a week at the end of our 3 week honeymoon in Thailand.

The organisation and communication of the Christina the owner and Natalia the villa manager is excellent. From the moment we booked I had no concerns about this place. They are very clear about everything and I found them very helpful.

We actually turned up to koh Tao 5 hours earlier than the agreed pick up time from the ferry port but I gave Natalia a call and she sent the taxi driver straight away and they took us to the villa early.

The villa itself is amazing. The views are incredible and the design of the place is gorgeous. The attention to detail is impeccable. The finish of everything is very luxurious and you can tell everything has been put there with the kind of thought you would put into your own house.

I have noticed some people have mentioned the trip to the property as being steep and a bit isolated and yes this is true. I do believe though that they are very honest about this and it is clear from the outset that this is the case. We knew that when we booked so why anyone else wouldnt is strange? You can't have the amazing views like that on a relatively undeveloped island without expecting a bit of a trek up to the property! You get amazing views with height. It is an adventure getting there and we used to have fun on our scooter doing the drive. If you take your time and drive carefully there is no issue at all. If you are not comfortable with scooters then you can rent a quad which probably would be a bit more sturdy.

I have to be honest I don't think it is ideal for young children like toddlers. Teenagers yes, a young baby that doesn't walk yes but not inquisitive toddlers etc. This is because of the floating stairs in the villa and around the pool area. The walls are pretty low. The stairs that lead up to the villa are also pretty steep which a young child might struggle with.

There are a few lizards and one or two creepy crawlies floating about but they are small and harmless. It is a green tropical island though so what would one expect?! The whole of Thailand is full of these things and we saw nothing at the villa that we saw no where else.

We have recently become very into private villas and cabins rental our holidays because we like to be left alone. I feel a bit mithered in 5 star hotels. On this trip we stayed in hotels everywhere else and then this private villa. I like having the luxury and facilities at a hotel but I want to be left alone and hate maids waking me up and turn down services etc etc and I find places like this much better than a hotel for that reason. At the casas del sol you get the great facilities of a 5 star hotel but without the hassle. This place is better than a hotel as the view and the size are bigger and better than any 5 star hotel room. If we had any problems we just e mailed Natalia and she fixed everything within the hour I.e one day we changed the day the cleaners came, another day the cable was playing up after a storm and it was sorted straight away. The villa was cleaned twice in the week and we found this to be sufficient. We ate out every day at the amazing choice of resteraunts that koh Tao has. They are all very cheap and there is plenty of choice.

I would also highly recommend doing scuba diving on the island. We loved it.

We would like to thank Christina and Natalia for the great service we got on this holiday and to anyone who is thinking of coming here do not hesitate! Get it booked :-) you will not regret it.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed response. We always enjoy to hear the feedback from our guests.

I am happy to know that you appreciated all the information that we provided to you prior to your reservation and stay at Casas del Sol. We do provide as much information as possible with complete honesty as we only wish for well-informed happy guests, such as yourselves.
Although we are not far from the main town, I know that it can be a little adventure to drive up the road to our villas. However if you embrace the adventure like yourselves then your time on Koh Tao will be a very enjoyable one. Afterall, Koh Tao is an adventurous destination!
Yes, I agree with you that we don't recommend the villas for young children which is written on our website.

We were very happy to accommodate you we look forward to welcoming you back in the future! ;-)

Reviewed 9 March 2013

The exceptional views, contemporary design, spaciousness, quiet/peacefulness and wonderful jungle noises are extraordinary (Villa of the Full Moon) features of this property. The bed, seating is very comfortable and the decor interesting/unique. I also greatly appreciated Christina, who was absolutely wonderful in all communications from initial query/planning right up to my arrival. Thank you Christina! Bao also turned into a combo taxi driver/guide, with great suggestions and accessibilty. Thank you Bao!
Several considerations with the property:
Location/ease of access - Christina clearly noted the location was up a steep hill outside of town and this cannot be underestimated when considering a stay. It is an extremely steep, narrow road. I decided against renting a scooter/ATV and relied upon taxis. Given the location and time/taxi rates it is not an easy place to come & go from during the day/night. Air Con: The bedrooms have fans & air conditioners however the spacious living/dining area has only one ceiling fan. During my stay it was extremely hot/humid with little to no breeze which meant the main area was too warm/stuffy most of the time. I suggest adding strong, quiet floor fan(s) for the main area and also suggest that the resident manager/ housekeeper cool the villa prior to the arrival of guests. I arrived to an uncomfortably hot, still Villa. Housekeeping: I stayed three nights and do not know how often the Villas have housekeeping service for more extended stays. I think frequent service is necessary. Bugs accumulated on interior surfaces and on the pool (with the auto cleaner set for later in the pm, leaving the pool convered with a layer of bugs when returning late afternoon. The cleaning timer was changed upon request). The patio cushions were soaked (apparently from a recent rain) when I arrived and took 3 days to dry out enough to sit on. This and several other cleaning details gave the impression that the villa was not monitored with attention to detail between guests.
Unfortunately I found the on-site manager a bit put out and as such, off putting when I needed some additional orientation (eg., use of safe, hot water). The initial orientation was fast with a reference to all necessary information being in the binder. Given Christina's graciousness this was the only dip in quality of service.

Room Tip: I did not view any other room. New construction is happening right next to Villa of the Full Moon, however there is still an expansive open view and I am glad it was available.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed response of your experience of your stay.
I appreciate that everyone has their own personal experience of their stay with us. We do go out of our way to explain the details of our accommodation prior to any guest making a reservation with us. I believe that all our guests arrive well informed and therefore happy as they know exactly what to expect.

As you can see in my responses on TripAdvisor, we emphasis that Koh Tao is an adventurous destination for those who are willing to embrace it. I understand that Koh Tao is not a destination for everyone.

We always like to ensure that our swimming pools are spotless and therefore we have installed an automatic filter unit that cleans the pool for several hours in the morning and for several hours in the evening. Furthermore we have staff cleaning the pools every twice a week and to date we have found that this system works to ensure that the pools are 100% clean.

In regards to housekeeping - for stays longer than 3 days we do incorporate complimentary housekeeping services. We are self-catered villas which means that we don't offer the daily services that a resort might provide such as daily housekeeping, concierge services and room service. However we emphasis this information prior to any guest making a reservation with us. Furthermore guests book with us in order to have their privacy and not be bothered by resort staff.

I know without doubt that my on-site manager is fantastic and service-orientated with attention to detail, and as everyone can read all the reviews about her have always been glowing.

Best wishes for your future travels.